Another hello with personal wet shaving journey

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
alec

Another hello with personal wet shaving journey

Post by alec »

Inspired by Books post, I thought I'd de-lurk a little and describe some of my wet shaving experiences for the benefit of other new shavers.

The community continues to be a great resource to me. I'd like to contribute in whatever way I can.

I'm 42, and have been shaving daily since I was 15. I started with an Atra razor and Edge gel and over time progressed through the latest cartridge-of-the-day through the Mach 3. About two years ago I happened across Shavemyface, and have been reading, learning and experimenting since that time.

At first I rushed out and purchased a Merkur HD, some Harris Lavender cream in a tub and a Rooney Style 1, Medium, "Super Silvertip" brush. (This brush is still my favorite.)

After years of learning careless habits with the Mach 3, my attempts at shaving with the HD were not pretty. I decided to pull back and regroup on the razor shave for a while, while I focused on the other aspects of wet shaving - building good lather, setting up a shave routine, and collecting the tools and products that work well and provide a sense of satisfaction.

Three weeks ago, inspired again by Mark's shave videos, I decided the time had come to make peace with the DE. This time I used a Weishi razor with Derby blade. The first shave was fair - a few small nicks and not much reduction. Day by day the shaves improved. My routine was 3 straight-down passes with no pressure, maintaining angle, going slowly, and using my arm instead of wrist to move the razor.

I didn't understand about angle until I read and reread some of the earlier threads. One helpful approach from notthesharpest and others was the method of finding the right angle by starting with the head flat against your face or inner arm, and then slowly moving the handle down until you can hear the blade just begin to cut. Somehow this made everything clear to me. I've had no issues with angle since.

After reading other posts on razors, I was very impressed with the Edwin Jaggers, and sent an order in two weeks ago to the English Shaving Company. Last week I received a beautiful Light Horn Chatsworth. The quality and beauty of this razor is something to see. My intention (which lasted 1 day) was to hold off on using this until I had more time with the Weishi. This past week I've been using the Chatsworth every day and am getting closer and quite good shaves.

At this point I'm happy to report that the Mach 3 has been permanently retired!

Here's the routine that works very well for me (YMMV):

1. Soak brush in warm-hot water.
2. Shower and wet face with plenty of hot water, no soap.
3. Dry and use plenty of good talcum powder (not on face. leave face wet!). TOBS Sandalwood, Floris 89, Caswell Massey No. 6 and Jockey Club are good places to start with talc.
4. Wet face with hot water on face cloth
5. Prepare lather. TOBS Rose, Mr. Taylor's, Eton College, Speick, and Castle Forbes Lime. Speick is perfect for travel, as the tube is 2.5 oz. The Rose gave me some irritation about a year ago. After leaving it alone for 6 mos and coming back to it, the irritation is gone. Not clear if this was from technique or from some other cause, but am happy that it is no longer present.
6. Wet face again.
7. Work in a very small amount of Coral Skin Food. This doesn't seem to impact the shave, but leaves the skin afterward nicer.
8. Shave 2 passes straight down. Shave 1 pass straight up. Fully lather before each pass. Fully rinse with hot water after each pass. Maintain: no pressure other than the razor head's weight, Maintain: constant angle, short slow strokes, keep relaxed and breathe normally.
9. Rinse face with hot water.
10. Rinse face with very cold water. (In my NYC bathroom, the cold water is colder in winter than summer, but as cold as practicable).
11. Apply witch hazel using soaked pad over full face.
12. Wait a minute or two.
13. Apply moisturizing balm. (Em's is good).
14. Apply cologne. Floris Vetiver, Trumper's Eucris, Trumper's Spanish Leather, Penhaligon's English Fern are my favorites.

This routine provides great skin and a wonderfully enjoyable start to the day.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

It's a pleasure to be learning with all of you.

Alec :D
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Alec, glad to hear it is working out for you. Perhaps a bit less prep would work just as well as you get your technique down. Most of us simplify after a while.
Regards,
Squire
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Congratulations on a good shave and a nice routine!

Nitpicking: Move step 1 so it's after step 4. Long soaking of the brush does no good, and if you wet it right before you use it then it's still warm.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Alec - welcome to SMF. We love hearing about the experience of others.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
deshaveman

Post by deshaveman »

notthesharpest wrote:Congratulations on a good shave and a nice routine!

Nitpicking: Move step 1 so it's after step 4. Long soaking of the brush does no good, and if you wet it right before you use it then it's still warm.
I agree. I used to soak my brush during my shower but the water in the sink just went from hot to tepid. Now I soak it for a minute or two just before I use it. Badger hair soaks up water like a sponge and the brush and lather are nice and hot when I use them.
alec

Post by alec »

Good tip about the brush soaking. Will try this tomorrow am!

Alec
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

Hi Alec. Welcome aboard!
Take care and God bless,
Steve
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

deshaveman wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:Congratulations on a good shave and a nice routine!

I agree. I used to soak my brush during my shower but the water in the sink just went from hot to tepid. Now I soak it for a minute or two just before I use it. Badger hair soaks up water like a sponge and the brush and lather are nice and hot when I use them.
Now I'm really nitpicking, but I think the truth is badger hair soaks up just about zero water no matter how long you leave it, and the water simply gets trapped in between the strands. This is (I think) why soaking more than a few seconds doesn't help.

I've been told that boar brushes do benefit from a longer soak, because the boar bristles really soak up a noticeable amount of water. I've never experimented with that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

OK, let just say that badger hair brushes hold water nicely.
Regards,
Squire
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Welcome Alec!

You are off to a splendid start. Great to have you in here.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Squire wrote:OK, let just say that badger hair brushes hold water nicely.
Yup. :lol:

Sorry Squire. :wink: