Sensor vs DE Closeness??

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

iancevans wrote:
evahs wrote:Is there an advantage to shaving everyday when converting to the DE?
Does it help the process other than just more practice time?
Learning to shave with a DE razor is mostly acquiring a very complicated motor skill. This, in my opinion requires daily practice; see my thread "A New Fidelity Experiment."

It's not quantity of practice over time, but quality of practice. If you're not practicing daily, you're likely "forgetting" what you learned in the last shave and so reinventing the wheel.

Good luck and have fun.
+1

Remember the four keys to a good shave:
Preparation
Patience
Pressure
Blade Angle

For a newbie - the one thing I would add to this list is practice over time and you'll get it right. While we have never had an actual poll on this, I would say by the threads which I have read on newbies moving to a DE razor, that it typically takes up to several weeks to get the overall technique to a point where you are both comfortable and getting a good shave without any niks. Now - that doesn't mean you'll be nik-free for life, but it does get to the point where you can't believe you ever used a multi-blade cartridge.

Nevertheless, remember that in the end, ymmv, and overall, it's important to realize that whatever works for you that matters.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
evahs

Post by evahs »

Thanks - this was the kind of thing I was looking for.
Regards,
Jay
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Over the course of a lot of years, I've used both Sensor and DE.

Generally, I really HATE cartridge razors. I literally despise them. They always end up damaging my face, and I just don't like them.

That said, the Sensor is (without doubt) for me the best cartridge razor on the market. I still use it when I fly (as the TSA lets you carry on a Sensor, but not a loaded DE).

So I think you are actually choosing between two pretty good options.

For me, the advantages of a DE are (1) it's kinder to my skin, and (2) I do not get any ingrown hairs.

Both of those can be a problem for me, especially over time, if I shave with a Sensor.

Then of course, as mentioned, there's the price of the blades and the overall shaving satisfaction. So, for me, the DE wins easily.

However, I still think the Sensor is a pretty good option. I'd take it ANY DAY over other cartridge razors!
lordjohn

Post by lordjohn »

Regarding the benefits of shaving with a DE razor. For me in addition to the skin effects it is the pleasure of using a vintage shaving instrument such as the Rocket, Gillette NEW or the EverReady 1912. These were razors our fathers and grandfathers used or which we used in our first years of shaving before we foolishly cast them aside seduced by plastic gimmickry. We are rediscovering the past with the accompanying benefits already alluded to. The shaving satisfaction is considerable. I like the Sensor and may use it occasionally but to experience shaving joy..go vintage!

John