What is BBS for you?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
schone

What is BBS for you?

Post by schone »

Guys,

I need your help in determining the quality of my shaves.

Today I've tried someone's advice in targeting more of the hair and less of the skin to try and achieve better shaves that are good both in terms of shaving and good for my skin.

I'm having a hard time determining what is baby smooth. My main concern is, do you guys consider baby smooth if its smooth to touch rubbing your hand over the beard with the grain or ALSO AGAINST the grain...? Do you want it to be smooth both ways or just one way?

Also, and a little bit off topic I'm interested to know about your guys' ATG (across the grain) pass.... Do you go across the grain at the direction the grain grows or against the grain. For instance, if we take a cheek, do you guys shave from the lips outwards to the ear, or vice versa?

Thanks !

-schone
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Across the grain means, whichever way your own hair grows, your razor stroke goes sideways relative to that. So, on the main part of my cheek, across the grain means either from ear to lip corner, or from lip corner to ear, doesn't matter, both are across the grain.

It's possible, with some skill and practice, to shave so it's smooth to the touch against the grain. Many guys choose not to shave that close, to avoid irritation and protect their skin; but it's a choice you will have after some practice. The majority of men cannot get such a smooth shave without going either across the grain or against it (i.e. BBS from going with the grain only is nearly impossible).

Hope that was really what you wanted to know...
mattbramanti

Post by mattbramanti »

It can all be summed up in four letters:

YMMV. :)

Seriously, it's up to you. I would consider the "perfect shave" to be smooth-feeling in both directions, all over my face and neck, with no irritation.

In some places, this is easy. My cheeks are BBS in both directions after every shave. Same for my chin, most days.

In other places, this is tough. On my neck, I generally have to settle for with-the-grain BBS. In order to get it BBS against the grain, it just takes too many passes, and irritation is inevitable. Same for my mustache area. I can't go against the grain without nicking myself, so I go with the grain and across it.

So basically, you'll likely never have the "perfect shave," just as I won't. You'll have to discover your own definition of "The Best I Can Do."

As far as the ATG pass, I generally go from my ear inwards. When going ATG on my chin, I do it in both directions.
“If you teach a poor young man to shave himself, and keep his razor in order, you may contribute more to the happiness of his life than in giving him a thousand guineas.” --Benjamin Franklin
schone

Post by schone »

I'm concerned with what diff people consider baby smooth in terms of touching it with your hand after the shave.

I can achieve smoothness in touching at all directions, but for it to be smooth to touch against the grain it will cost me some skin irritation. Is there a way around that perhaps?
mattbramanti

Post by mattbramanti »

schone wrote:I can achieve smoothness in touching at all directions, but for it to be smooth to touch against the grain it will cost me some skin irritation. Is there a way around that perhaps?
Maybe, maybe not. Keep that lather hydrated, and make sure to give your face a good warm-water rinse between passes. And keep the pressure very light.

But you have to remember, it's all a matter of tradeoffs. If you have your technique down well, are using good products and you're still getting skin irritation when shaving against the grain, I'd tell you to stop shaving against the grain.

What's the point of a smooth shave if the cost is bumps and burning?
“If you teach a poor young man to shave himself, and keep his razor in order, you may contribute more to the happiness of his life than in giving him a thousand guineas.” --Benjamin Franklin
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

schone wrote:I'm concerned with what diff people consider baby smooth in terms of touching it with your hand after the shave.
Nope. Not a concern. This one is 100% agreed upon. It means smooth for real, in every direction, just like it implies. There are no different opinions on what baby smooth means.

Where there ARE different opinions is in the area of, do you really want or need that? Some say yes, some say no. It's up to you.
I can achieve smoothness in touching at all directions, but for it to be smooth to touch against the grain it will cost me some skin irritation.
Probably this is only true today because you need more practice. I get smooth skin with no irritation, but it took me several months of practice before I could do that every day without fear of irritation. Still, some days I get part way through a shave, and for whatever reason I think "This is not going to go well..." and I stop without getting really smooth.

If it's going to irritate you, then no it's definitely not worth it. BUT, it probably doesn't have to irritate you if you do it right. In all cases, comfort is a higher priority than smoothness.
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

BBS as I understand it is 100% smooth in all directions.

Having said that, it is not something that I worry about - ever.
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

BBS is what my Merkur Vision delivers 98% of the time, with minimal effort compared to the other dozen razors.

Sometimes it's not a good thing any more and I put it away for a month.

---------------------

Kent
Mr. Spacely

Post by Mr. Spacely »

BBS-

A term to enjoy, when achieved, which for me is smooth cheeks and jaw line wtg/atg.

I have been taught by the men here, just achive and enjoy a good shave and that is what I do.

I do not chase BBS on my neck/chin due to potentail for irritation and weeps.

If BBS happens (which it does often) even better and if not I still always receive a great shave.
----------
Scott
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

BBS to most people - smooth in all directions, possibly comfortable, possibly not.

BBS to me
- a COMFORTABLE shave that is BBS in all directions except up

i will occasionally go ATG when i have one of those "planet aligning" feelings... but its not very often... maybe once ever month and a half or so.

ymmv.
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

BBS to me is a smooth, no irritation shave. I can do that, but at the cost of comfort. My cheeks and chin never suffer this and I can get bbs in two passes, one ATG. My neck is a different matter all together. I need at least three passes and there is always irritation and weepers. I prefer to just do two with the grain and leave it at that.
Killian85

Post by Killian85 »

True BBS to me is smooth in all directions with no irritation at all.

Since achieving that is rare, a more realistic definition would be smooth in most directions with no irritation.

I think once you start trying to shoot for good but comfortable, then you will have learned to really enjoy the experience. Problem is that it's hard to resist tempting fate.
Alan

"Crime does not pay ... as well as politics."
Alfred E. Newman

The Double A Lounge
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Killian85 wrote:True BBS to me is smooth in all directions with no irritation at all.

Since achieving that is rare, a more realistic definition would be smooth in most directions with no irritation.
Not a realistic definition at all, but certainly a more reasonable and realistic shave. I agree that comfort is the ultimate goal.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

No discomfort or irritation first, smooth second, the rest follows with time and experience.
Regards,
Squire
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Schone,

I never really try to get BBS, but lately the quality of my shaves have been very very good.

To me BBS is smooth in all directions, I usually need four good complete passes to get there 2 WTG, 1 XTG down, 1 XTG up with touch up on the jaw line and under the chin (which includes a litte ATG). I get great results with my standard three pass WTG, XTG down, XTG up with touch up and save a little time. I get better results using soap for lather to get a close shave. My skin seems to have no trouble with everyday shaving, irritation is usually a by-product of to much pressure.

I really just focus to get a good shave using a light touch and proper technique, sometimes a BBS'er comes out of no where.

Good shaving,

Gary
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

BBS is, as pointed out by NTS and others, a hard definition, and the holy grail for many a wetshaver.

The thing is, as a neophyte wetshaver you're much better off putting all thoughts of BBS out of your head. If you're starting out getting a shave that feels smooth with the grain, and achieving that with no irritation, then you're doing great. Moving towards a BBS face (if desired) is a slow process, and far less important than not ripping up your skin.

Eliminate nicks and irritation
Get a decent close shave
Let the BBS thing come in time
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

ichabod wrote:BBS is, as pointed out by NTS and others, a hard definition, and the holy grail for many a wetshaver.

The thing is, as a neophyte wetshaver you're much better off putting all thoughts of BBS out of your head. If you're starting out getting a shave that feels smooth with the grain, and achieving that with no irritation, then you're doing great. Moving towards a BBS face (if desired) is a slow process, and far less important than not ripping up your skin.

Eliminate nicks and irritation
Get a decent close shave
Let the BBS thing come in time
+1

Going after BBS is like picking up a golf club and wanting to play a sub-100 game right away. It's simply not gonna happen without some work and patience.

Get your technique first, then work on improving things by including blade-buffing, or j-hooking, or an extra pass, or ..... :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
evahs

Post by evahs »

BBS = PERFECT!

Regards,
Jay
King-D

Post by King-D »

Agreed. BBS is, imo, perfect. "..the best a man can get"

For me, that was attainable with a Fusion, going ATG, and with a heapin' helpin' of standard goop-in-a-can. Although, I couldn't shave two days in a row. My face would not allow it.

Now, with DE shaving, I can easily shave every day. I guess I traded the BBS for something more enjoyable.
David

Shave in the shower!
drumana

Post by drumana »

joe mcclaine wrote:BBS as I understand it is 100% smooth in all directions.

Having said that, it is not something that I worry about - ever.
+1 on both accounts...
-Andrew-