O.K guys, 1st DE shave....but STINGS like crazy...help!

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
im333

O.K guys, 1st DE shave....but STINGS like crazy...help!

Post by im333 »

Hi,

Bought a Merkur HD 34c, Kent BK4 and Proraso cream.

Did as per Mantic's videos, all went great....only 3 nicks! Used a single pass with the grain (will do until my face gets accustomed to DE). I've been using electric's all my life.

Only problem is, my face STINGS like crazy after shaving. What to do? Am I doing something wrong? Applied moisturiser but that didn't help.

Thanks,
im333
Neil

Post by Neil »

Congratulations on chooseing the DE route.

What you're experiencing is common for newbies, and perhaps a rite of passage.

DE's are fundamentally different than any kind of razor out there. Particulary for you, using electrics, this is quite a change. However, even for men using razors like Mach 3's, it's still a big step up. Foremost, using a DE is difficult for newbies because there is a much sharper blade actually touching your skin. Even with cartridge razors, there is somewhat a limit to how much the blade presses into your skin. This is what allows, and almost requires you to press a Mach 3 into your skin.

Therefore, with double edge safety razors, you have develop the right touch, or else you will press too hard, and that double edge blade will scrap off more than just whiskers.

What I'm getting at here is PRESSURE. Your face will somewhat get used to a blade actually touching it but you still have to learn how to not use pressure, along with correct angle, which I will allow someone else to speak about. So, don't bear down! A sharp enough blade will cut an appropriate amount of beard without pressure.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Besides pressure, there is also angle to consider. Keep the rounded top of the razor always touching your face when you shave. Don't be guided by the guard bar in front of the blade - that's just "training wheels" to keep you from cutting yourself in case of a mistake.

Also, what kind of lather did you use? That can make a big difference.
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

as folks have mentioned above, 2 most important things to keep in mind, v less pressure and blade angle.

we are so used to applying pressure when shaving with cartridge razor, we don't realize we are applying pressure with DE. the first time i shaved with DE, my face burnt like hell !!! i wanted to give it up. then the experts here gave me excellent pointers :)

don't give up, try harder(not literally).

gl,
-R
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
im333

Post by im333 »

notthesharpest wrote:Besides pressure, there is also angle to consider. Keep the rounded top of the razor always touching your face when you shave. Don't be guided by the guard bar in front of the blade - that's just "training wheels" to keep you from cutting yourself in case of a mistake.

Also, what kind of lather did you use? That can make a big difference.
I used Prosaro green tube cream.
So, the rounded top of the HD should be in contact with the skin? Gotcha.
I'll persist...happily :)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

IM, if your face is uncomfortable after a shave you are applying too much pressure. This is a common error and overcoming it is part of the learning curve. You'll get there.
Regards,
Squire
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

im333 wrote:So, the rounded top of the HD should be in contact with the skin?
That's right.

Obviously if the very top of the dome is on your face, then the blade isn't even hitting your beard and the thing won't shave. But that dome part on top of the razor is the shaving guide. If the notched guard bar is pushing and dragging on your skin, and the dome is doing nothing, then you have it backwards. The blade and the bar should glide over your face, the blade barely touching your face and the bar not touching anything except some lather, and the domed head is the anchor point. (What I described is the theoretical ideal, just the way you think about it. In real life the guard bar sometimes contacts your face and that's OK.)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

As David suggested, incorrect blade angle is the most likely culprit. The razor handle should be a bit more parallel to the floor then it appears to be in Mark's video. Also, remember, there is always a period of adjustment for the beard and skin when switching from an electric to wetshaving. This is true even if one is very good at wetshaving, let alone if one has not tried it before. So, work on that blade angle and try and be patient. This 'adjustment period' usually lasts two weeks at a minimum.
Regards,
Gordon
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

Hello IM!

I would have to agree with all of the great advice that has been dispensed so far, blade angle and pressure are definitely important and so is lather. The more you shave with a DE the better you will get at all three of these skills. What did you use as an aftershave, if anything? If you used an alcohol based one, I would hold off on it until your technique improves, as I learned back when I first decided to actually shave. Irritated skin and alcohol simply don't mix well! Just be persistent and you will get to that perfect shave!

Warmest regards, Niksa
"Life has no meaning a priori … It is up to you to give it a meaning, and value is nothing but the meaning that you choose." Jean-Paul Sartre - Being and Nothingness
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I'm a slow learner and it took me more than a month to get comfortable with this. It's easy now, and I don't even think about it anymore.
im333

Post by im333 »

notthesharpest wrote:
That's right.

Obviously if the very top of the dome is on your face, then the blade isn't even hitting your beard and the thing won't shave. But that dome part on top of the razor is the shaving guide. If the notched guard bar is pushing and dragging on your skin, and the dome is doing nothing, then you have it backwards. The blade and the bar should glide over your face, the blade barely touching your face and the bar not touching anything except some lather, and the domed head is the anchor point. (What I described is the theoretical ideal, just the way you think about it. In real life the guard bar sometimes contacts your face and that's OK.)
Excellent illustration! Many thanks. If only Merkur offered such instructions in with the packaging!

I really can't wait to get into it all properly...it really looks a lot of fun! Something about a big, heavy metal razor in your hand, all lathered up just makes you feel great.

To answer about the post-shave lotion, I only used a bit of good quality moisturiser.

Finally, if anyone could recommend a good (if not the best!) post-shave lotion/balm/etc, etc, I'd be grateful. I went off recommendations for all my newbie kit and haven't been disappointed, to say the least.

im333
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

There's more than one kind of aftershave, depending on what you want it to do, or what skin problems (if any) you might have. I use none at all, because my skin seems OK as is.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

im333 wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:
That's right.

Excellent illustration! Many thanks. If only Merkur offered such instructions in with the packaging!

I really can't wait to get into it all properly...it really looks a lot of fun! Something about a big, heavy metal razor in your hand, all lathered up just makes you feel great.

To answer about the post-shave lotion, I only used a bit of good quality moisturiser.

Finally, if anyone could recommend a good (if not the best!) post-shave lotion/balm/etc, etc, I'd be grateful. I went off recommendations for all my newbie kit and haven't been disappointed, to say the least.

im333
Another slow learner checking in here - in my case years of bad habits from shaving with pivoting cartridge razors left me with no concept of the right angle to use and no light touch whatsoever.

I used Lucky Tiger "after shave and face tonic" and found it to be the only thing capable of calming the pain I inflicted on my face through my bad technique. The thing is, a couple of years on and my technique is fine, but I still swear by the Lucky Tiger Tonic.

It seems like there are two (2) distinct sets of Lucky Tiger products, so here's a photo as well:

Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Ditto on all the comments regarding pressure and angle.

You gotta keep them both at bay - and not to forget preparation and patience -- that rounds out my top 4 shaving tips.

It'll take you several shaves to get to where you aren't at least a bit tender after a shave. Remember, you are scraping a layer of skin off of your face with a very sharp blade. As it all comes together, you'll find it works nicely and without irritation.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?