New member / Semi-new to wet shaving

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
elixr

New member / Semi-new to wet shaving

Post by elixr »

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I ordered the necessary tools (razor, badger-hair brush, blades, and stands for the razor and brush). I'll probably order one of the sample packs to try out different blades, especially if I can't find a good supply store locally.

Unfortunately, I didn't find this forum until a few days after I placed my order, but I won't let that deter me - from what I've read, I have a pretty aggressive razor (Merkur classic long handle) , but I'm a fast learner and I'm quite excited. Even moreso thanks to all of the useful information here!

I am facing a small conundrum though - I know I'll be tempted to try DE shaving as soon as the equipment arrives, but I think I'd rather wait until Friday night / Saturday morning to take my time and concentrate on what I'm doing.

The problem is, I have been using the Gilette Mach 5 Fusion Power, and have been on my last set of cartridges for weeks now. As you all well know, the replacement cartridges are priced ridiculously, and I don't want to buy four new cartridges at $16 to hold me over for only four days when one will do.

Anyway, I think I'll just tough it out for the week, shave every other day, and imagine myself eventually shaving with a straight razor (which is my ultimate goal).

Kind of a roundabout way to say . . . Hello everyone!
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Elixer,

Hi and welcome.

Your Merkur Long Handle is a very nice razor and will be perfectly fine to start. It has the same head as the much talked about Merkur HD.

Take your time, good prep, learn to make a good lather, remember no pressure on the razor against your face, watch and learn your angles to help your razor cut the hairs but not scrape your face. When learning it is wise to invest in a good aftershave product that will help get through the less than perfect shaves.

Watch Mantic59's shaving videos on youtube a few times. You'll be fine.

Good shaving,

Gary
elixr

Post by elixr »

I've watched Mantic's videos, although it seemed to me that his angle was more aggressive than I'd be comfortable with for my first shave.

One thing I have learned is that over the years dealing with ingrown hairs / razor bumps / razor burn is that my skin seems to be way more resilient than most. If I experience razor burn at all, it only lasts a few minutes (unless it's on the very sensitive areas of my neck). I'm hoping that will be to my advantage.
Oldsmoothie

Post by Oldsmoothie »

Elixr

Welcome to the forum.

I'm new to DE shaving and am still on the learning curve but I think that I am improving. As I understand it, from visiting this forum, your technique will improve with practice and with gleaning the info from fellow members.

I bought a book called "Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving". It was useful for me and may be to you. It's something to consider.

Keep at it and good luck. :D
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome Elixr,

Keep to the basics -- both Mantic's videos and Leisureguy's book are excellent. I still watch the videos and refer to my copy of the book on many occasions.

Remember the following:
Preparation -- be wary of too much or too little - focus on getting the whiskers wet and soft
Pressure -- let the weight of the razor do the work as it glides over your face - pressing down is a big no-no and sure to result in irritation and niks.
Blade angle -- too acute and you get a similar result as with too much pressure, too obtuse and you don't reduce any whiskers. Start with the head (i.e. top) of the razor on your skin, tilt the handle in the direction of the pass, and slowly and gently glide the razor over your skin. As soon as you hear the little "pings" stop lowering the handle and maintain the same angle throughout the pass.
Patience -- don't rush things -- going too quickly ends up with the same results as noted for bad angle and too much pressure. A shave is meant to be enjoyed, not detested.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Elixir,

First welcome to SMF. What you have been told so far is just what you need to be doing.

Obviously, being willing to shave every other day means that you don't have a job that requires you be clean shaven each day, or your beard is not very heavy and you can get away with shaving that often.

My advice is simple. Follow what the others before me have said and then don't be afraid to use the DE you have. You will not do major damage to your face or your ego if you follow Mantic59's advice for shaving.

The biggest mistake I think new and returning DE shavers make is that they are afraid of the razor. Hog wash. There is nothing to fear but fear itself. Hey, somebody famous said that! It was Sir Winston I believe.

Conquer your fear, go slow and with little pressure and you will be fine. Do not do too many passes, may two WTG (with the grain) to get the worst of the hair off your face. Before too long may a week or two you will have the confidence in your technique to do an XTG (across the grain) pass.

Good luck with your DE shaving and come on back often and let us know how it worked out for you.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

ThePossum wrote:There is nothing to fear but fear itself. Hey, somebody famous said that! It was Sir Winston I believe.
Apparently ThePossum is a Republican! :D
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
apswartz

Post by apswartz »

welcome!
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Welcome elixr!

I can only add to the good information that you have received is to keep a very light touch with your razor and use short, deliberate, strokes. Take your time until your technique develops.

Welcome aboard.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.