Alcohol and Razor Burn?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Torch

Alcohol and Razor Burn?

Post by Torch »

Hi everyone,

I’m 15 shaves in now but I’m still getting razor burn, redness and bumps (not ingrown hairs, the other kind). I know it probably has to do with technique so I’m being patient.

My question is, does using an aftershave containing alcohol help reduce the redness and razor burn quicker than using a product that doesn’t contain alcohol? Is it better for the healing process?

I’ve stayed away from products containing alcohol because everywhere I look they say it’s bad for your skin. How much truth is there in this statement?

I’ve read that many people here use aftershaves or witch hazel containing alcohol and it works great for them. They say it’s because they like the feeling, the sting. That’s not why I would use it though. I’ll use it for its practical application… I want something that will help reduce the razor burn and redness a lot quicker than my current set-up, if that’s possible.

Current aftershave regimen:

Styptic Pencil (burns like alcohol… is there a difference?)
Witch Hazel (Formula without any alcohol - Thayers)
Aftershave Balm (Contains cetyl alcohol as the 10th ingredient out of the 35 listed)

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Styptic is only for if you're bleeding. It is a chemical that dries up small cuts or punctures and makes them stop. If you're not bleeding, don't use it.

About the witch hazel - what are you using it for? (I'm not being nasty, I sincerely want to know.) It's basically meant to dry out your skin a little.

About the balm - cetyl alcohol is not alcohol in the everyday sense. The word "alcohol" is part of its chemical name, but that's only a technicality.

The main point in all this: Don't get razor burn! You need to shave differently so that it never happens. Needing to heal after shaving should be a crazy idea, like needing to heal after going for a walk.

Please describe how your shaves are going, and this problem can be completely prevented instead of treated afterwards.
hookem11

Post by hookem11 »

Torch,
One product you may wish to try is Proraso Liquid Cream After Shave. No alcohol, some Witch Hazel and Menthol. Very cooling and soothing. I do agree with NTS however. Something is not right with your technique. Too much pressure, wrong angle or maybe an allergy to something in your shaving cream or soap
Regards,
Al
goose

Post by goose »

Torch,

The best thing will be to reduce the number of passes to one WTG pass for a little while to let your skin heal.

I did find alcohol helps reduce razor burn. The best I found was Thayer's Medicated Super Hazel. It is formulated to help heal small burns and it works great on razor burn.

Clint
Torch

Post by Torch »

Hey guys, thanks for chiming in.

Wow, really?!?! I get razor burn every time. I honestly thought that was normal in the beginning.

I have my razor tuned down as low as possible and I haven’t changed any variables… shave after a warm shower, same shaving cream and same blade.

I’ve been trying to keep the lightest touch I can but getting the right angle in every area of my face has been difficult. 95% of the razor burn is concentrated in the neck area. This is why I believe an allergy to the shaving cream can be ruled out. The redness is located in specific spots, not all over.

My technique must really be terrible.

I am doing 2 passes though. WTG and XTG. Maybe 1 pass shaves for now like Clint said? A one pass shave doesn’t look very neat though. Should I go back for touch-ups or should I leave that alone as well? I’ll even try to tune the razor down a little more but I doubt it will shave at all.

Although I have yet to get cut while shaving, I use the styptic pencil because I saw a video on shaving with a straight and the guy rubbed the pencil all over his face in the end (I’m new to this so I thought that’s how it was supposed to be used, sorry. Didn’t know it was only for cuts). Even though I don’t have any cuts after shaving, it still burns like heck, so I thought it was healing my skin or something.

I use the witch hazel because I read that it had healing properties. I have the Cucumber one, so it’s actually pretty refreshing… especially after rubbing the pencil all over (that thing really tightens my face up).

OK, so no more styptic pencil unless I get a nick or cut… you just saved me some cash.

Should I still use the witch hazel when I get razor burn or should I just go straight to the aftershave balm and keep it at that?

Should I try a different blade? I have a couple of different sampler packs, so I have plenty to choose from. I’m currently using the DORCO 300 since it was suggested to be the mildest of all the blades.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Your razor is a Gillette adjustable at the lowest setting? Turn it to 2 or 3 and try to shave even more gently. The lowest #1 setting is so low that it makes it difficult to get the thing to shave, and that may be part of your problem. When the gap is opened up a bit, that makes the blade easier to "find" and you don't have to press so hard anymore.

Razor burn is common for beginners, but it comes only from mistakes and is always fixable. It isn't something you can work through or get over - all you have to do is correct your shaving mistakes, and the burn will be gone. (And your mistakes don't sound serious or stupid. Just some stuff to fix.)

Angle (Razor doors never lose contact with the face)
Pressure (None)
Good lather (Not too wet, not too dry, good slip, good cushion effect)

I would use a soothing balm for razor burn, and skip the witch hazel. If at all possible, skip the next shave if you get burned. This gives your skin time to recover. Hopefully next time there will be less damage and no need to skip a day - but always skip a day after a bad shave, unless you have an inspection to pass or something.
Torch

Post by Torch »

My razor is a Merkur Vision and when it’s completely set at the bottom, the blade doesn’t touch the skin at all. I open it up one full letter. If it begins on the “V” then I open it up until it reaches the first “I”. There are dots that separate the letters (the dot can be considered half a letter distance I guess) but anything less than what I’m using would probably not shave.

If it’s anything like the Gillette adjustable, my current setting could be considered to be on “1”. Do you think opening it up to the dot between the first “I” and the “S” or even to the “S” (sort of a 2 or 3 on the Gillette) would be more helpful than tuning it down?

When you say no pressure, is it really that light of a touch or is there a little pressure involved, a kind of soft pressure that I have to discover?

I find it difficult to shave and not apply at least a very very slight pressure in order to get the blade to cut. Could the blade I’m using not be sharp enough for my beard?

I am glad to know that the burn will go away as soon as I discover my mistakes! I was getting a bit disillusioned with the whole DE thing.

I’ll also stop using the witch hazel as well to see if there’s a difference.
goose

Post by goose »

Torch,

The neck is the most sensitive area of the face for most guys. Since you don't seem to be damaging the rest of your face, perhaps you should stick with your two passes everywhere else, and only use one pass on your neck. As far as pressure goes, it is very light, but feels like none when you are used to using cartridge razors. I'm guessing angle is part of the problem as well. As NTS said to find the correct angle you want to start with the razor doors in contact with your face. If you were to move the razor it wouldn't cut at all. You want to slowly rotate the razor downwards until you first feel it begin to cut. That is the angle you want to be shaving at.

As NTS said, you can skip the styptic pencil unless you have a bleeder. Alum blocks and styptic pencils typically irritate my face for some reason.

Aftershaves are personal, but I have found aftershave splashes that are low in alcohol to be superior to any balm I ever used.

Clint
IanM

Post by IanM »

Torch,

The only place I've had proper razor burn since using a DE was on my lower neck. For the first couple of shaves it was really quite uncomfortable.

What I discovered (and others will be sick of reading this by now!) is that I wasn't adjusting the position of the razor to keep the blade angle constant.

If you run your fingertips over your neck, there are all sorts of curves and contours, and as you move the razor across these curves, you have to compensate, or you'll have some areas with not enough angle, and others with too much. Too much angle will scrape the skin and cause razor burn. I also found that keeping the skin slightly stretched can help. I don't use my hand to do this, I just tilt my head to keep the skin under some tension.

From a razor point of view, I think the Vision may be less than ideal for a beginner. I don't have any experience with the Vision, in fact, I have no experience with adjustable razors. I did this purposely, because I wanted to keep things simple and pretty constant. If my memory serves me correctly (and it often doesn't) the Vision has a very large head, and I can't help but feel that this may make getting the correct angle a bit more difficult. I could be way off with this, and I'm sure that someone will put me straight if I am :)

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Ah. The Vision is different. The lowest setting that will still shave is probably right. Tiny adjustments around the bottom of the scale, just like you're describing, are all I would try. I have never quite made friends with that razor. I find it very easy to shave with, simple to use, but sometimes a bit rough feeling. Other experienced shavers say it's the mildest razor they own. Still others say things that are less polite. :wink:
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Torch,

+1 on the Thayer's Medicated Superhazel, this is one fine product for treatment of a rough shave. It makes a fine aftershave splash which you can still follow with a light balm for added comfort.

Good shaving,

Gary
Torch

Post by Torch »

Thanks everyone.

I will be even more careful with angle and pressure from now on. It really is good to know that correcting one or both of these can eliminate my problem completely and instantly and isn’t something I have to drudge through.

I will also look into an aftershave splash containing some alcohol… maybe the medicated superhazel Gary mentioned.

NTS pointed out that Cetyl Alcohol isn’t really alcohol in the traditional sense… how does regular rubbing alcohol fit into all of this? Could it be used to heal razor burn or would that just be too much, making matters worse?
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

Cetyl Alcohol is a long chain alcohol and doesn't have the astringent and anti-bacterial properties of smaller alcohols. Rubbing alcohol is iso-propyl alcohol and is good astringent and anti-bacterial agent, but a little strong for your face. The idea with using alcohol in an aftershave product is to close your pores and kill the bacteria that cause acne and rashes. It does nothing to repair razor burn. Witch Hazel will act similar, though is less likely to harm your skin cells. If you're prone to acne, infections, or rashes, the alcohol and/or witch hazel would help prevent those while you're experiencing razor burn and more susceptible to those ailments. The best thing to do is skip shaving a day or two to heal up on your own.

See what happens when a Chemical Engineer gets involved :lol:
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Our chemical engineer is perfectly correct as far as I am aware, except for one thing: with all these products, using too much will cause anyone's skin to go through a two-stage reaction. First the skin feels tight and dry; then the system notices the tight & dry conditions and makes the skin more oily to compensate. To avoid the dreaded dryness and the oily overcompensation, use all such products sparingly.
crunchy

Post by crunchy »

GOOD MORNING, TORCH!!

Piggybacking on what Ian said,
What I discovered (and others will be sick of reading this by now!) is that I wasn't adjusting the position of the razor to keep the blade angle constant.
I have discovered what I guess is the same thing. In reading back through some of the older posts here, someone mentioned that it is a good idea to think of moving your wrist, hand, and razor basically as one unit. I have found that doing that will help with the irritation on my neck. I'm still not good at it, but it has helped. It also helps, as Ian said, to put some tension on that skin. I have to tilt my head AND pull with my hand.

Keeping on the topic of alcohol and razorburn, I use Aveeno lotion as my aftershave. My sensitive skin will not take an alcohol-based product right after shaving. It's too harsh. I also have pretty good success with the Nivea aftershave balm.

Keep with it. You will get there!
Southern Gentleman with 6 kids, and loving every minute of it!
Oldsmoothie

Post by Oldsmoothie »

Torch,

I am relatively new at DE shaving (about two weeks) and when I first started I got some razor burn, mainly on the neck and chin. But with practice and, as fellow members write, concentrating on pressure and razor angle, the burn is getting less and less. My facial skin is also improving (less small spots). So, listen to the good advice given in this forum and you also will get there. Believe me, it's well worth the effort.
JimR

Post by JimR »

ChemErik wrote:
How DARE you bring science into this? We all know, rubbing a black chicken on your face and then sacrificing that chicken to Baron Samedi on the night of the new moon will take care of razor burn problems.

None of that "long chain alcohol" stuff around here, please!
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

JimR wrote:
ChemErik wrote:
How DARE you bring science into this? We all know, rubbing a black chicken on your face and then sacrificing that chicken to Baron Samedi on the night of the new moon will take care of razor burn problems.

My apologies. I'll be certain to give a burnt offering of shave soap and A/S splash to cover my sin :lol:

notsharp - thanks for sharing the dermatology lesson, I clearly have some limits in my knowledge.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
elixr

Post by elixr »

Only on my second DE shave here, but I don't think alcohol is a good thing to put on your face, unless you suffer from infections or acne regularly - all it does is kill bacteria and dry your skin.

FWIW, I will second what everyone has said - you should adjust your technique. I used to use a cartridge razor, and when it was time to put on a fragrance (well after my shave, mind you), the spray would sting 100% of the time.

Now with my DE shaving, I have had zero sting both times, and my shaves have been way more comfortable. Just be careful and you'll get the hang of it!
Torch

Post by Torch »

ChemErik wrote: Rubbing alcohol is iso-propyl alcohol and is good astringent and anti-bacterial agent, but a little strong for your face. The idea with using alcohol in an aftershave product is to close your pores and kill the bacteria that cause acne and rashes. It does nothing to repair razor burn. Witch Hazel will act similar, though is less likely to harm your skin cells. If you're prone to acne, infections, or rashes, the alcohol and/or witch hazel would help prevent those while you're experiencing razor burn and more susceptible to those ailments.
I’m not prone to acne or infections, so I guess I can keep my current set-up of non-alcohol based products. Not using the witch hazel or the styptic pencil as much will also save me some money. Maybe I’ll buy a soap with the extra cash? :D
crunchy wrote:GOOD MORNING, TORCH!!

…it is a good idea to think of moving your wrist, hand, and razor basically as one unit. I have found that doing that will help with the irritation on my neck.

Keeping on the topic of alcohol and razorburn, I use Aveeno lotion as my aftershave. My sensitive skin will not take an alcohol-based product right after shaving. It's too harsh.

Keep with it. You will get there!
GOOD AFTERNOON CRUNCHY!! (I’m not much of a morning person) :)

Good tip, I’ll definitely try the wrist thing. Hopefully it will improve my technique. What do you mean exactly when you say it’s too harsh? Does it make the razor burn worse? I also have sensitive skin and wouldn’t want to “experiment” with this.
JimR wrote:

:lol:

I actually have access to black chickens down here so I must just give it a shot. I’ll let you know how it goes after the next new moon.
elixr wrote:Only on my second DE shave here, but I don't think alcohol is a good thing to put on your face, unless you suffer from infections or acne regularly - all it does is kill bacteria and dry your skin.

FWIW, I will second what everyone has said - you should adjust your technique. I used to use a cartridge razor, and when it was time to put on a fragrance (well after my shave, mind you), the spray would sting 100% of the time.

Now with my DE shaving, I have had zero sting both times, and my shaves have been way more comfortable. Just be careful and you'll get the hang of it!
I’m on my 15th DE shave and still haven’t gotten away from the sting. I haven’t used cartridges since 2004… maybe I’m having such a difficult time because I’ve used an electric for so long.

On a side note… you new guys ever feel like you’re at a group meeting or something, trying to get through a difficult affliction. This forum has been my rock. Every time I feel I’m going to fall off the wagon (go back to my electric or try the Fusion) everyone here gets me all pumped up to keep shaving DE style.

Thanks for sharing guys.

My name is Torch and I have razor burn caused by DE shaving.