New to group, not new to wetshaving

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
desertbadger

New to group, not new to wetshaving

Post by desertbadger »

Hello, everyone;
Noticed your site and have been reading the posts for several weeks now, and thought I would “join in”. :D
First, a quick introduction. My name is David; I was born in 1952, which makes me 57 years old. I’ve been wet shaving since I was 13. I personally went through, and have observed others over the years go through a lot of changes when it comes to shaving. I’ve tried just about everything available to shave with including straight razors. Tried electric shavers a couple of different times over the years and was always disappointed. :(
You have really good moderators on this site and I can especially identify with Gordon. What he’s been advocating about the Schick single edge injectors and the original Gillette DE razors are all true, every word of it. Why do I say that? Because I’ve been there, done that, and I feel the same way that he does. If memory serves me correctly, I never recall anyone including both men that were older (Like my dad or uncles) or younger than I was at the time, complaining about the shave they got with the DE Gillette razors. I’m guessing it was probably, in part anyway, due to the blades. If it said Gillette, you just couldn’t get a bad blade. Sure, there was a learning curve with the DE, but you just learned it, and it didn’t take that long. I think that a problem that faces guys now is that there’re used to shaving with Mach 3’s, Fushions, or whatever, and are trying the same type of technique with a newly acquired DE. It just won’t work. I know because I had to relearn the technique myself! Shaving with the Schick injector? This was essentially a no brainer! To be sure, it would depend on which model you got and maybe the year it was made (Over the years, Schick made subtle changes to some of the razors) but you just couldn’t get a bad shave. At least I never did. And talk about a smooth shave! I still have several of the Schick injector razors, a couple of them are in their factory packaging, never been opened. Have the same problem that Gordon does. Getting the right blades, or at least like how they used to make them. Oh my, how things have changed!
It’s really so sad that the young guys that either have peach fuzz or real whiskers missed out on such wonderful shaving implements that I grew up with. Literally, you could walk into any grocery store, Kmart, (Didn’t have WalMart back then)drug store, liquor store, etc. and walk out with a genuine Schick or Gillette razor, complete with the original blades. The amount of money that you spent simply depended on which model of razor you purchased. Hell, sometimes they used to give away a Schick injector razor if you bought the Schick blades! You could get all of this with no muss, no fuss, and pay for it with pocket change! (A dollar was worth more back then) You never had to read the package to check and see where the product was made. (Who did that? :shock: ) If it said “Schick” or “Gillette” you were good to go. It really pis!@s me off that the mighty name of Gillette and Schick are mostly collector items now.
Sorry for the long and maybe boring introduction, but I do feel better that I got that off my chest.
Smooth shaving to all,
David
Regards,
David
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Hey David,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM... Don't worry about posting a dissertation, there are a few windbags on the forum and you should fit right in... :-#

Anyway, come often and stay long...

And as always the object of the game is to...

Enjoy your shave... :mrgreen:
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Welcome David, glad that you joined us,
Good shaving,

Gary
ssilcox

Post by ssilcox »

Welcome! I look forward to gleaning knowledge from your experience.
“Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory.”
Books

Post by Books »

Welcome David!

I was fortunate enough to try the injectors when I first started shaving. I thought my father was nuts. Now 20 years later, I've leared what he knew all along.

As far as modern blades go, I'd reccomend Schick Injector blades made in China.
Bob
IanM

Post by IanM »

Hi David, and welcome to SMF.

I have only been DE shaving for about 7 months, so having experienced chaps like you around is no bad thing.

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Welcome David,

Good to see someone else in the forum who remembers the days before disposables & cartridge razors. I too started with a Gillette SE. Of course it was to my dad's dismay as he was always an electric guy. It was my favorite uncle that I chose to copy when it came to shaving. He had a 40's Gillette SS and got me my first DE razor. It was 62 Gillette Slim Adjustable.

Funny I learned to shave with a Slim and now that I have come back to DE razors I can't stand the Slim. Just don't get good shaves with either one that I now own. Still they do bring back some good memories of days gone by. Days I would love to have back.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Welcome!

--Mark
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF, David.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
lordjohn

Post by lordjohn »

Welcome from the Scottish section.
John
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Thank you all for the warm welcome!
I really do appreciate it! :D
Best,
David
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

David, Welcome aboard. I just tried responding to your post on Wetshavers but instead of sending, it erased my post....sigh...I'll try again. Glad you found your way here. And, of course, you're right, it's a real shame about what's happened to shaving in America since you and I started out. When I started shaving in 1964 several superior shaving implements were for sale at any drugstore or supermarket for a few bucks. Razors like the pedestrian, but excellent, Schick Krona were literally given away free. Today we have to search out this level of quality on eBay and in local antique stores.

By now, two entire generations have grown up not knowing HOW to shave. Didn't need to as the plastic gee-gaws did it all for you, and you had no say about how they did it. So, when gents finally get feed up with the ridiculous prices, the mediocre shaves, and the irritated skin, and come here, they haven't a clue as to how to use their new traditional shave kits. So, considerable time has always been spent on these trad. shave forums in attempting to instruct newcomers in how to shave properly ( which isn't always easy via the written word alone....check out some of the current posts in our SMFU section ). So good...now that you're here, you can pitch in and help ( chuckle ).

Regarding the Schick Injector, of late some new Schick blades from China have started to trickle into parts of the US. While not quite as good as the old made in USA numbers, they are not that far off, and are markedly better than anything else available. They are worth keeping an eye out for.
Regards,
Gordon
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Thank you, Gordon, and yes, you're right. Back when "we" learned to shave with either the Schick or Gillette, there was nothing else readily available except for straight razors. So, we had nothing else to compare shaving to. If you got a Gillette, you simply "learned' to use it. If your dad, uncle, or whoever, gave you some pointers, great. But I clearly remember most of it you just learned by the seat of your pants. It didn't take long to figure out how to hold the razors, light to no pressure, the angles to cut down the stubble, etc.
Like I said in my first post, I really feel sorry for the younger guys, who after using the plastic crap, step into a DE and get clobbered.
I'm glad that I grew up when I did.
Best,
David