Struggling Newbie - Arghhhh - Pleeeeease help !!

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Benjy85

Struggling Newbie - Arghhhh - Pleeeeease help !!

Post by Benjy85 »

Hello,

Ok, so onto my fifth DE shave, been doing everything the same, and still getting the same problems.

I am using ...

Art of Shaving Pure badger brush
Art of shaving unscented shaving cream
Merkur 23c
Derby Blade.
Art of shaving aftershave balm.

Luckily I only have to shave twice a week.

Im lathering well, with my brush, lots of water and straight after a shower.

The cheeks are a breeze to shave, although i get small red bumps in little patches after I shave, for a couple days.

My throat however is a nightmare. I still have lots of red bumps, I think due to sensitive skin and ingrown hairs toward the bottom of my neck.

I also tried going ATG for the first time, and found it really hard to get the technique - any tips would be much appreciated !

Couple of photos so you can see what im talking about !

Thanks for your help

Ben

desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

OK Benjy, first thing to do is just relax. You haven't given up yet, so that's a good thing.
There's nothing wrong with the shaving gear that you have. Don't forget, you have only 5 shaves with a DE under your belt; it may sound crazy, but your face has to adjust to a different way of doing things.
I have a large Adam's Apple so when shaving around this thing I really have to slow down. Try this; with your free hand place it around the base of your neck like your trying to choke youself. Move the skin either right or left depending on which side your shaving and twist your neck so that your're sort of looking sideways in the mirror. What your trying to do is flatten the skin so the razor has a flat surface to glide on. Go slow! NO PRESSURE!! That's probably the hardest thing to learn at first. Just let the razor and blade do the work. Just make one pass WTG till you get used to it. After that, you should be able to make passes in different directions depending upon your beard conditions.
This is the only way that I can shave the Adams Apple area myself and all I can say is that it works for me.
Best,
David
Last edited by desertbadger on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I happen to think of something else that might help.
If you have two sinks in your bathroom, great; if not, a large bowl, like a salad bowl will work also. Get a steaming towel or even a nice terry cloth wash rag. Put the cloth in the bowl or basin with some water and a bunch of ice cubes or those freezer pack things that you put into lunch pails. Do this at the beginning of your shave and just let it sit there.
After shaving, rinse your face, squeeze out the towel from the cold water, then put it on your face and neck and let it sit there for about one minute.
What you’re trying to do here is cool down the skin. Then put on your balm making sure that it contains no alcohol.
Hope this helps.
Best,
David
StockShark

Post by StockShark »

I think you are doing great..but it looks like you are using too much pressure. Any pressure is too much really. Try this: Hold the razor like a pair of tweezers at or very near the end of the handle. Just let the razor glide over your face. You may not get the closest shave the first few times, but you get the feel for "no pressure". As always, take it slow and make sure your blade angle is good! As per the good advice posted above...the neck is always the toughest to get down pat. Even on the neck/throat....keep the pressure off. Give it a try for a few shaves and see if the irritation doesn't go away, or at least diminish a great deal. Let us know!

SS
The Shark
ssilcox

Post by ssilcox »

I agree with the Shark - pressure is key, especially on the neck. You will really feel it if you start applying even the lightest pressure.

Also - lather, pressure, angle, blade, razor dont mean squat if you dont have a great pre-shave prep. What are you doing before the shave to soften up and prep your beard? Usually shaving after a shower is sufficient, many use hot towels held against their face for a few minutes. Either way, a good prep is part of the key to a great shave.
“Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory.”
Benjy85

Post by Benjy85 »

Also finding the technique of shaving upwards really hard, its easy going down as its a 30 degree angle but any tips for going upwards ATG ?
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Benjy,

Remember the old joke about eating an elephant? You take little bites...

If you are having results like this, stop. Give your face a day off, if you can. Then, continue lathering the same way, but, instead of the DE, perhaps use a Bic utlizing the same three pass method. Once you get that down, and the lather is solid each shave, move on to the DE -- but don't go against the grain. Take your time with the downstrokes for a few weeks, and if you have to go ATG, use the Bic. Once you master the DE downstroke, go for the ATG...just little bites...
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Haine

Post by Haine »

paperpundit wrote:Benjy,

Remember the old joke about eating an elephant? You take little bites...

If you are having results like this, stop. Give your face a day off, if you can. Then, continue lathering the same way, but, instead of the DE, perhaps use a Bic utlizing the same three pass method. Once you get that down, and the lather is solid each shave, move on to the DE -- but don't go against the grain. Take your time with the downstrokes for a few weeks, and if you have to go ATG, use the Bic. Once you master the DE downstroke, go for the ATG...just little bites...
I don't see how anyone can use two blade disposables. I tried some shicks and It was like hacking at Hemp rope. It would not get through my beard. >_<
Regards, Lionel
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Ben -- can't recall if I have welcomed you to SMF -- so Welcome to SMF. :D

You are getting lots of good advice here. Notice the common threads? Patience and practice/perseverance. There is alot to worry about, but I have tried to keep it as simple as possible -- I worry about the following:

Preparation
Blade Angle
Pressure
Patience
Practice

It took me at least 6 weeks before I was rash and nik free, and I, like you, was only shaving 2 or 3 times a week when I started. Keep at it as you are doing -- it will come.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Lionel, thanks for the clarification...a single edge disposable Bic sensitive. I can get two to five shaves out of one, and my beard is 60 grit.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Benjy85

Post by Benjy85 »

wendell,

im struggling with blade angle on my whole neck though ?

any pointers?

Ben :D
Gene

Post by Gene »

Benjy85 wrote:wendell,

any pointers?

Ben,

If I may...

As a visual clue for blade angle: holding the razor in one hand lower the razor onto your other arm until the top of the razor just rests on the arm. Then lower your razor handle until you see the blade contact the skin on your arm. Now - work for that angle on your shave. I have the same problem as you - it is hard for me to visualize that angle when I shave my throat - I find if I lock my wrist in the correct spot and move my arm, leaving my hand passive, that it helps.

Welcome to the forum - happy shaving!!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Books

Post by Books »

First of all Welcome! :D

Have you watched Mantic's videos yet?

I would check to make sure that you are shaving with the grain, on my neck it grows in 2 directions, in 3 different areas. I treat each of these areas seperatly. If i just rush through, I end up with rashes and ingrowns.

I would wait a day or so to heal, then verify the direction of beard growth, then shave only with the grain.
It might take several passes, just rinse and relather between passes.

The easiest way I've found to find the right angle I got from Mantic.

Grasp the razor lightly with youir finger tips, lay the head of the razor flat against your skin and slowy adjust the angle until the razor blade starts to cut. Once you have your angle, start to shave. You might have to do this several times, and remember NO PRESSURE.

Remember the goal is beard reduction, not removal in a single pass. It's normal to have stubble after the first pass. If you concentrate on no pressure and keeping a good angle, I gaurntee the razor will take care of the rest
Bob
goose

Post by goose »

Ben,

The neck is the most sensitive area of the face for many guys. There are several experienced shavers that don't go ATG at all so don't feel like it is something you have to do. I use a combination of strokes depending on what section of my face I am shaving, but I have skipped shaving against the grain on my neck. It always causes me some sort of irritation and I can get almost as close my using some diagonal strokes. I would stick with two WTG passes for you first month of shaves. You can get a very close shave that way and it should also reduce your chances of irritation.

Clint
StockShark

Post by StockShark »

Gene wrote:
Benjy85 wrote:wendell,

any pointers?

Ben,

If I may...

As a visual clue for blade angle: holding the razor in one hand lower the razor onto your other arm until the top of the razor just rests on the arm. Then lower your razor handle until you see the blade contact the skin on your arm. Now - work for that angle on your shave. I have the same problem as you - it is hard for me to visualize that angle when I shave my throat - I find if I lock my wrist in the correct spot and move my arm, leaving my hand passive, that it helps.

Welcome to the forum - happy shaving!!
+1!! anymore angle then this and your DE starts becoming a paint scraper!! With practice....and I mean a lot of practice....you can then use a very slightly more aggressive angle...but that is down the road!! Keep it simple, and hang in there!!

SS
The Shark
Pat_17

Post by Pat_17 »

It looks to me that your using too much pressure. Go very lightly and let the razor do the work; I find this is the case if I am using a DE or a cartridge razor. Also don't worry about going against the grain yet. Take your time and just go with the grain for now.

Pat
Benjy85

Post by Benjy85 »

The thing is, i have used no pressure whatsoever, at least thats what i think ?
Especially on the neck, ive been so slow and careful but over that patch with red bumps/ spots, is extremely irritable.

its even irritable when im not shaving and the hair starts to grow back. is this a case of ingrow hairs and if so whats the best cure ?
ChaoticWind

Post by ChaoticWind »

I started using a DE because of all the irritation I used to get on my neck. What really helped me was letting my beard grow a few days and really studying which direction it grew. To my surprise on my neck it grew from the adam's apple outward and upward toward my ears. Now I can get an irritation free shave by shaving from my collarbone straight upward. I mostly do two pass shaves WTG. I don't usually shave anywhere ATG but can on my cheeks. I doubt I'll ever get irritation fee ATG on my neck and I've accepted it. Shaving with no irritation makes me happy and if by the afternoon it's a little stubly I can always shave twice in a day.
- Claus