alum block

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

ChemErik wrote:I'll add that in my relatively short wet shaving experience, that most of the guys who seem to like the alum have oily skin. Guys with dry skin almost always detest it and guys with "normal" are rather hit and miss.

I have rather oily skin and really like my alum block. It helps my skin heal, reduces the amount of oil my skin makes, and unless I give myself a real serious gauging at some point keeps me from need to use a styptic pencil. I think I actually healed from the couple DE cuts I've had nicer and faster then the cuts I had over the years from a Mach 3 stopped with styptic.
I second this. My skin can be very oily and the alum really helps tone my skin, prevent ingrowns and seal up weepers.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Just to be clear, my skin type is normal -- it is neither oily, nor dry, and I still find the alum useful. I think it's less about your face type, and more about whether you like what it does in the end. But that's just my opinion...... ymmv. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Haine

Post by Haine »

Does it leave any type of Powdery stain on your skin if left unwashed after a shave?
Regards, Lionel
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Haine wrote:Does it leave any type of Powdery stain on your skin if left unwashed after a shave?
I don't know, because I rinse thoroughly after applying it to my face and letting it sit for a couple of minutes.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
teabag

Post by teabag »

Hmm, alum block or styptic?
Well I always thought alum would be better than a styptic. I have a TOBS alum block that I have used 4 times including tonight.
I have just stepped out of the bathroom having nicked myself in a couple of places. One cut I rubbed alum over it, the other styptic just to see the difference.
IMHO the alum is a waste of money because the styptic has done its job very well while the alum!! I can feel the warm blood running under my chin as I type this and have a piece of tissue that resembles a polka dot cloth.
So it's a big thumbs down for the alum I'm afraid from me.

Regards,

Phil.
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

An alum block is not meant to work like styptic. It's a general antiseptic application rather than a coagulant. It may stop some minor bleeding, but that's a bonus, not its purpose.
teabag

Post by teabag »

I aplogize for my lack of knowledge on alum having only used it lately. I was informed, wrongly I now know, that it was better than a styptic for cuts.

Regards,

Phil.
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

Alum can work to close nicks, but not by just rubbing it on your face. You need to hold the alum against your nick for about two minutes. It's more of a pain to use, but I think it heals it a little faster. YMMV
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
teabag

Post by teabag »

Yeah, I held it against the cut for a while but got fed up :lol: I just looked at my virtually extinct styptic, it says expires 10/04. Think I should discard it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

teabag wrote:I aplogize for my lack of knowledge on alum having only used it lately. I was informed, wrongly I now know, that it was better than a styptic for cuts.
No apology necessary - we're all here to learn something from each other. :D
teabag

Post by teabag »

Thanks Seamaster,

I felt like a bit of a fool. I understand a little more about alum now. It may come in handy as a rest for my razor, or a small paperweight :wink:

Regards,

Phil.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Phil, alum or styptic work about the same for me. This comment is based on memory as I haven't used either in years and the only one I have on hand is an alum block in my travel kit. Frankly, I think anyone who cuts themselves so deeply shaving that alum wouldn't work the cut would also require more than styptic could minister.
Regards,
Squire
teabag

Post by teabag »

Hi Squire,

I have found that to be true about the styptic working better than the alum. My alum is a TOBS and I expected it to work a little better than what it has done so far. Great for running over your face to close the pores up but the styptic is better for the cuts. Not sure though when I come to use a straight if a styptic will be good enough if I slice my face open and look like I had nuzzled up to a bacon slicer! :lol:

I haven't got time to hold the alum against the cut for a few moments, someone is always wanting the bathroom. The previous house was great, had 2 bathrooms so I could play about with all my things in there for as long a I liked and didn't get disturbed. No doubt using the alum more I will get more experienced with it. It does work well as a razor stand though!!!

Thank you sir,

Regards,

Phil.
ContenderhunterPA

Post by ContenderhunterPA »

Is there a difference between an alum block and those mineral block antiperspirants?
Dave

"So whether you eat, or drink, or whatever you do, do all for the glory of God."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:Wet and loose works for me.
:shock:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

ContenderhunterPA wrote:Is there a difference between an alum block and those mineral block antiperspirants?
Same thing. Potassium Alum. If you call it an alum shaving block, you can pay between $7 and $12 or more for it. It is about the size of a large marshmallow. The photos in advertisements make it look like a big regular bar of bath soap, in size. If you want to try it in the form it is called a deodorant block, you can buy it here for about $2. I personally like it. It works for me as advertised.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
mloates

Post by mloates »

I definitely enjoy the alum block after a shave, but not every time (I alternate between alum block and witch hazel). Yep, you definitely know where your technique slipped a bit with the alum block...but once the initial buzz wears off, I like the way it feels. Just be sure to rinse about a minute or so after use of the alum.
grumpy old codger

Post by grumpy old codger »

My shave is MY TIME. No bitching from SWMBO. It's mine and I revel in it.
Shower or facial scub/hot towels. Shaving oil. Cream or soap. DEor STR8, depending on the day of the week. Hot/cold rinses. Then the alum block (Every day), followed by witch hazel and then my ASB and then an AS. Life is good, I think.
In this world.
Of toil and sin,
Your head goes bald, But not your chin.

Burma Shave!
rudy vey

Post by rudy vey »

Occam wrote:I love the alum block... really is like the icing on a great shave.

I like the feeling and ritual of using it... and have never had a trace of redness on my neck since beginning to use it...

These days I hardly get a sting out of it... it almost feels like a waste of time... but it has an antiperspirant effect that is very worthwhile in a hot humid climate like Brisbane... no stinging ever after shaving from sweat...

I also apply after my final wash... then rinse out my brush and then wash my face again of any alum residue.

The tightness occurs only if you've damaged your skin in my experience in which case you get quite a bit of accompanying stinging. With a good shave the alum does not cause the tightening effect.

I use Bloc Osma... which is a nice size... but I have a Thierry Mugler alum bloc that cost $36 AUD and has a nice soap bar shape which I can't wait to use when my current block has worn away... should be a few years going at the rate it wears out... ie. very slowly.

Just my 0.02... but I love the alum block...
+1 here from my side, too. I apply it the same way, after the last warm wash, I nearly pat my face dry, dip the alum block very briefly in cold water and rub it over my face. Then I wash my brush and scuttle, and after this wash my face (and the alum residue off) with cold water.
My block came from Vintagescent in Portugal, its large and only $5 or so.
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

I find the alum block very valuable. I barely rinse the shave cream off my face and run it over the entire shaved area. Yes. it does give good feeback and does seem to tighten the face up a bit. I don't even leave it on for 30 seconds before a cold water rinse and then a chaser with an astringent like Thayer's, D.R. Harris Pink Aftershave or a number of other toners. Then it's on to the aftershave and then on with my day:)