More Blade Angle Talk

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
HBK42581

More Blade Angle Talk

Post by HBK42581 »

I know that the basic idea with DE shaving is to gradually reduce your beard with several passes. Now, with that being said, let's say I've got a few days worth of growth. If I do a nice smoooooth stroke down the side of my face at the proper blade angle, how much hair is that going to take off? I ask this because I always seem to want to take as much off as I can with one pass. I'm guaranteeing that this is why my shaves are not improving as much as they should be. Any advice would be appreciated.
Scott "The Heart Break Kid"

desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Do not take off as much as you can with one pass. That's why your making several passes to begin with. Just simply let the razor do the work with 2-3 maybe 4 relatherings if you need it.
Trying to get as much as you can in one pass is counter productive, IMHO.
Regards,
David
HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

desertbadger wrote:Do not take off as much as you can with one pass. That's why your making several passes to begin with. Just simply let the razor do the work with 2-3 maybe 4 relatherings if you need it.
Trying to get as much as you can in one pass is counter productive, IMHO.
I agree. I am just so damn OCD it's really hard for me to be patient. Haha.
Scott "The Heart Break Kid"

desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Patience, persistence, and practice (the 3 p’s) will serve you well.
Regards,
David
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

Try to shave as if you are cutting the hairs in half on the first and second passes, then shave skin close on the third pass if need be. Two passes is sufficient for most men; three passes is the most anyone should need. Four or more passes is just gilding the lily.
Last edited by Brett G on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brett
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I think I get 70-80% reduction on my first pass. A second pass makes me "presentable" for the day, a third is nearly BBS. Only when I have time to really relax and be very leisurely, I'll go for a 4-pass shave and get truly BBS. That fourth pass doesn't really make me look any better, it's all about me.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Reduction, reduction, reduction and touch up.

The less I think about it the better my shaves. I used to really agonize on the first pass but now realize that I get a better shave with just three easy reduction passes and a touch up.

Important to do a thorough prep, build a good lather and know your beard growth pattern.

Good shaving,
Good shaving,

Gary