My opinion so far of DE Razors & Wetshaving

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Haine

My opinion so far of DE Razors & Wetshaving

Post by Haine »

So as many would know, like any newbie to Wetshaving and DE's I came due to difficulties with Ingrown hairs & Inflammation of horribly priced Cartridge razors.

After being sold a Merkur HD, a highly reputed choice of razor. And Pifed by the very generous ThePossum. I went to it, after about a week or so. I opted to buy a few pucks of various VDH soap cakes, along with a proper Omega 48, and a dinky little VDH mug.

I'd been shaving with derbies and unless I'd chose to grow a beard for something like.. two weeks there was no way in hell I'd shave consistently & comfortably with Derby Extras. So I also purchased some Personna (Blue wrappers) spent alot of time fussing with soap cakes, and getting a few weepers, then decided to buy some Trumpers cream samples. And opted to use one of the last few blades that was included in the purchase of my HD.

A yellow wrapped Tiger, by now I'd honestly believed I was screwed and would be growing a beard akin to Moses for the rest of my natural lifespan. Until I popped this babe in and went at it along with my Trumpers samples. (Of which I liked none at all, but you couldn't deny the innate performance of creams over soaps. Atleast for me) And I got one of the most comfortable shaves imaginable.

With that all said, with a little luck. I may have found my answer to my shaving woes. Tho to be completely honest, I prefer to think realistically. And I chalk both my first DE shave & the Tiger shave up to a fluke. And would not be surprised to find that in purchasing more Tigers & Cream of a differing brand, that the shave was dismal, in lou of which I may just go Woodsman for a few months. My poor face has weathered many a shave.
Regards, Lionel
IanM

Post by IanM »

Lionel,

My apologies, but I'm a little puzzled. Are you saying that you've had 2 decent DE shaves in total?

Are you also saying that you're not going to buy more Tiger blades, or more cream and grow a beard?

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
mmack66

Post by mmack66 »

I'm with Ian. That post makes almost no sense.
Mark
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

From what I gather, you best shaves were with a Tiger blade and Trumper's cream? IF so, that's a major case of YMMV as these are two of the worst products for me.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

yeah, it sounds like surrender after seeing the light! :roll: :roll:
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Well Lionel, had to read your post several times, but I gather that you got a good shave with the Tiger blade and cream combo.
If so, it very well may not have been a fluke, it's just the the combo that works for you.
Stick with it and see what happens with future shaves.
Regards,
David
Haine

Post by Haine »

Sorry, perfect example of my lousy grammatical skills.

I knew that post locked horribly wrong for some reason. I just couldn't' figure it out at the time. I blame the old lady. Nagging in my ear, couldn't think straight. :evil:

To Elaborate, yes I've had only two superb shaves in-so far, one when I'd had a two week old monster growing on my face (A full beard) and the second when I whipped out that Tiger blade, which I'd previously dismissed as being a low quality blade.

After purchasing a sampler of Trumper's Creams, I'd used it and was amazed how comfortable my shave was. Hell I did a multi-pass with no irritation. I pray once I get ahold of some more cream & those tigers that it wasn't a fluke shave. And I'll not have to resort to growing a woodsman's beard.

Did any of that make sense!? :lol:
Regards, Lionel
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

now i understand what you are getting at. i feel your feelings maybe a little premature. because you have not been shaving with way long enough to really get a consistent shave. it takes time ........

many new de shavers dont like a blade or razor or soap etc etc in the beginning and find some where down the road that what they disliked orignally later on is great stuff.

trumpers soaps and creams are top shelf shaving products
they provide great protection and are quite easy to work into a good lather

blades will always be personal many new comers like the derbys because they are sharp and forgiving and not to expensive
but they dont work for everyone

so lay back and go slow and now you have a cream you like and a blade that works for you ... stick to them until you develop technique and experience also shaving on a regular schedule will help to\

marc
Haine

Post by Haine »

marsos52 wrote:now i understand what you are getting at. i feel your feelings maybe a little premature. because you have not been shaving with way long enough to really get a consistent shave. it takes time ........

many new de shavers dont like a blade or razor or soap etc etc in the beginning and find some where down the road that what they disliked orignally later on is great stuff.

blades will always be personal many new comers like the derbys because they are sharp and forgiving and not to expensive

so lay back and go slow and now you have a cream you like and a blade that works for you ... stick to them until you develop technique and experience also shaving on a regular schedule will help to\

marc
Erm, if I'm not mistaken I've been shaving for roughly 2-3 months.
Regards, Lionel
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Hi Lionel,

Have you tried purchasing the store brand blades at a local Sweetbay? They are Korean made -- probably Dorcos -- and I find them very forgiving on my skin.

If, after two to three months, your shave are still on the rough side, I'd say the pressure might be your foe. Try to focus on an even lighter touch, basically not much more than the weight of a snowflake against your skin. For example, when I use my favorite superspeed, I barely feel the blade on my skin. Yes, that light...

All the best,
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Haine wrote:
marsos52 wrote:now i understand what you are getting at. i feel your feelings maybe a little premature. because you have not been shaving with way long enough to really get a consistent shave. it takes time ........

marc
Erm, if I'm not mistaken I've been shaving for roughly 2-3 months.
+1 to what marc said; and yes what you said now makes a lot more sense. Just remember that all blades are not created equal regardless the cost. It's a matter of finding out what works best for you, staying with it while all the while improving your techinique; it seems the combo you found so far is doing the trick.
Regards,
David
IanM

Post by IanM »

Lionel,

Thanks for clarifying your original post.

Do you use the Merkur HD exclusively? I ask because when I was new to this, I started with a Gillette Tech and then moved on to an HD. I always found it more difficult to get the correct blade angle with the HD, and that's why it's sat in it's case for the last 4 months, redundant.

It might be worth trying a milder razor like the Tech.

By the way, Mrs.M LOVES your avatar.

Good luck

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Lionel,

Good to see you are reaching your comfort (pun intended) zone.

However -- beware the wet-shaving monster know as hubris. Just when you think you have things down pat, BANG -- you slice open a wound that bleeds for days on end and takes weeks to heal fully. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Haine

Post by Haine »

jww wrote:Lionel,

Good to see you are reaching your comfort (pun intended) zone.

However -- beware the wet-shaving monster know as hubris. Just when you think you have things down pat, BANG -- you slice open a wound that bleeds for days on end and takes weeks to heal fully. :D
I'd hope not. =P I'm not a powder puff, but I'll be damnd if I'll stand around butchering myself. xP I don't think I need to be clean shaven for a CPT or the years of college that'd (hopefully) proceed it.
Regards, Lionel
Haine

Post by Haine »

IanM wrote:Lionel,

Thanks for clarifying your original post.

Do you use the Merkur HD exclusively? I ask because when I was new to this, I started with a Gillette Tech and then moved on to an HD. I always found it more difficult to get the correct blade angle with the HD, and that's why it's sat in it's case for the last 4 months, redundant.

It might be worth trying a milder razor like the Tech.

By the way, Mrs.M LOVES your avatar.

Good luck

Ian
I've thought about buying a Krona, but I've discovered they're still subject to 50$ price tags from collectors if I'm not mistaken (The butterfly, plastic turn knob variants)

Admittedly I do have a problem with the angle, I'm far enough along to get that, I've a vary 'sharp' jawline so its made even more difficult to shave around the neck area, I'd honestly like 3 pieces more, I'm not to fond of the possibility of slitting my fingers messing with the two piece HD lol.

P.S Be in fear of Fluffy the Destroyer of Worlds!
:lol:

Edit Sorry, Double post! :oops:
Regards, Lionel
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

I think you probably need to go for some better blades and a gentler razor. If I were choosing a list of blades not to start with it wouldn't be far off those you've tried. Try some Israeli's or 7 o'clocks (Russian or Indian). Decent blades really do make a lot of difference.
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
fozzibear

Post by fozzibear »

I'm sure I'm missing stuff, so please take my comments with the cup of salt included.

That said, I'm also very new to the traditional shaving routine. In fact, although I've tried some single edge stuff (Wilkinson Bonded) I haven't actually taken the DE plunge yet.

When I started moving over to the Traditional routine, I discovered that I got vastly different shaves depending on the soap or cream used. I have had much better luck, so far, with proraso (ymmv) over some of the other products. What was interesting, though, was that I was using the same damn MB cartridge.

Is it possible that your fabulous new shave has less to do with the blade and more to do with the prep?

Again, please take my comments with the cup of salt provided.
Cheers,

Matthew
Herman

Post by Herman »

I picked up a Merkur 38c about 2 weeks ago and am really just starting to get the hang of it. I have been using decent soap and an Omega brush for several months, and was amazed at the improvement in the shaves even with a multi blade. The DE takes some getting used to, and it is only 4 or 5 days ago that I started doing several passes with the whole "beard reduction" thing as a goal. This has improved comfort considerably but should continue to improve, I hope. The shave is quite close, but it would be a lie if I did not say that perfection is the goal. I want it smooth! I really enjoy the retro shavers and taking the time to do something just for myself.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Herman wrote:I picked up a Merkur 38c about 2 weeks ago and am really just starting to get the hang of it. I have been using decent soap and an Omega brush for several months, and was amazed at the improvement in the shaves even with a multi blade. The DE takes some getting used to, and it is only 4 or 5 days ago that I started doing several passes with the whole "beard reduction" thing as a goal. This has improved comfort considerably but should continue to improve, I hope. The shave is quite close, but it would be a lie if I did not say that perfection is the goal. I want it smooth! I really enjoy the retro shavers and taking the time to do something just for myself.
HERMAN,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM. Come often and stay long.

Most of all...

Enjoy your shave... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome Herman! Keep us posted on your progress.
Regards,
David