ALUM as an aftershave?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
evahs

ALUM as an aftershave?

Post by evahs »

A question came to me after watching the new video from The Gentlemen's Shop. In it, he uses an Alum block after shaving and before using an aftershave. Wouldn't using an Alum block close the pores and not allow the aftershave / moisturizer to soak in and do it's job? Does anyone here use an Alum block? If so, what is your experience?

Regards,
Jay
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

There are a few of us here who use alum regularly. I use it after every shave immediately after my final pass and rinse, let it sit on my face while I do general clean up of my brush, etc. Then I rinse it off with cold water, then after the alum has been rinsed off my face, I pat it dry and apply my go-to aftershave product -- Razor Relief from The Body Shop.

I rather like alum alot -- however, not everyone is alum friendly. It works for me and has for quite a few years now. ymmv.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jay, As Wendell said, we have a few members who use them regularly but it doesn't seem to be a very common practice on SMF. Personally, I've never cared for them as they always made my face feel kind of tight. Some use them and then wash it off before applying the A/S product, but myself, I've never seen the point. I also wonder a bit about how good it is for the skin long-term. But it seems to be one of those things, like slant head razors, that most members feel compelled to at least try sooner or later ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I also use alum in the same way as Wendel. Only difference is the aftershaves I prefer are TSD splashes or milks. The A/S does absorb a little slower after using alum, but still doesn't take more than a couple minutes.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

I'm a regular alum user.

I shave in the shower -- DE, soap or cream and a little mirror. After a good rinse, I just rub it on. I rinse it off after I shampoo...

I follow it up with an alchohol based after shave...never a moment of burn.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Leaving the alum on your face for a couple of minutes, then rinsing it off, gives the best results, based on my experience.

The Wikipedia entry is a good primer on alum in general and what it does. The two key factors for me are its astringent and antibacterial properties.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
giammi

Post by giammi »

Regular alum user also here - I apply it as described by Wendell and use it for the same purpose.

I can also recommend the Crystal stick as a deodorant.
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

jww wrote:Leaving the alum on your face for a couple of minutes, then rinsing it off, gives the best results, based on my experience.

The Wikipedia entry is a good primer on alum in general and what it does. The two key factors for me are its astringent and antibacterial properties.
I find these two properties nearly eliminate my adult acne, which is the primary reason I use Alum. It also reduces the oiliness of my face, though I can wash my face a extra time or two each day for the same effect.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

I gave it a try a short time ago, didn't really work for me. Seemed to be quite irritating and drying for my skin. I will be sticking with witch hazel.
Good shaving,

Gary
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

jww wrote:There are a few of us here who use alum regularly. I use it after every shave immediately after my final pass and rinse, let it sit on my face while I do general clean up of my brush, etc. Then I rinse it off with cold water, then after the alum has been rinsed off my face, I pat it dry and apply my go-to aftershave product -- Razor Relief from The Body Shop.

I rather like alum alot -- however, not everyone is alum friendly. It works for me and has for quite a few years now. ymmv.
+1....I just use a couple of different A/S products. Since I have oily skin, the alum does quite well with me, but I can see that it wouldn't be for every wet shaver.
Regards,
David