Close Electric Shaving

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
tommy_boi

Close Electric Shaving

Post by tommy_boi »

I use a beard trimmer to shave with most the time but the shave isn't that close even on the minimum shave, i see you can also get electric razors but i've heard these can give shaving rash just like the manual wet shaving razor can, with the beard trimmer shaving rash etc is pretty much zero but like i said you dont get the close shave, does anyone know any good beard trimmers or electric razors that give good close results without the rash and that you get from wet shaving?.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I have an electric Norelco. It gives a close shave that lasts about 3 hours.
It used to also be real painful because it would pull my hairs while cutting them.

I think that is why we are here and not in one of the electric shave forums.
Ed
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Close shave and electric razors - four words that don't belong in the same sentence? :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Tommy, where are you located?

I'd suggest a Bump Fighter razor, which is a disposable wet shave razor with a guard that keeps you from shaving too close. It is made by Personna for African-American men, but I'm a white dude who has the same issues -- it will give you a pretty clean shaven appearance without too much (or any) irritation.

For electrics, you'd have to buy a foil razor (no heads) and shave down with it only. Some of the black guys I work with use clippers -- but you'd have to go to an African-American beauty supply shop to find the right ones. They shave pretty close.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
tommy_boi

Post by tommy_boi »

It looks as if you can get a bump fighter disposable razor and a bump fighter razor which comes with cartridges that you just change i guess when they are blunt instead of buying a whole new razor, i've heard the disposable one is better but they dont sell them now?.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tommy, From your several posts you seem to have some sort of skin problem that is beyond the scope of this forum to address. It seems that forms of shaving that work for most and don't create significent problems leave you with 'dry skin', 'acne' and what not. If you're having all these problems shaving with a simple one-bladed Bic and canned foam than perhaps it's time to see a dermatologist. Using electric clippers isn't really shaving at all, it's beard trimming. You can continue experimenting with different shaving regimens, but perhaps it's time to see if something untoward is going on with you skin.
Regards,
Gordon
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

jww wrote:Close shave and electric razors - four words that don't belong in the same sentence? :wink:

:lol: :lol:
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I used an electric for awhile back in 1968 but also had to use a real razor once a week to clean up the loose ends.
Regards,
Squire
tommy_boi

Post by tommy_boi »

I might try the bump fighter razor, how close a shave does this bump fighter razor really give then, will it be closer than my current electric, cause if its not then it wont be worth all the messing about, might aswell keep on with the electric, and does it cut out all irritation 100%, i know it says it cuts it down, but how much?.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Tommy the only answer to your question is to try it.
Regards,
Squire
tommy_boi

Post by tommy_boi »

Yeah that is what i thought actually, but it is not very easy to get hold of, you have to order them from ebay or some other website, i guess that is the only way i'm ever gonna tell how good it works though, i was hoping for some personal experiences from someone on here using the razor though.
chrisisconnorsdad

Post by chrisisconnorsdad »

I picked up a very well reviewed (and expensive - $200+) electric razor about a year ago trying to speed up the saving process and was incredibly dissapointed. Not only was the shave terrable, I still got terible razor burn. The razor went straight back to the store and I went back to blade shaving. I think that they are essentially worthless unless you are going for the "five o'clock shadow" look. I get far less razor burn using the wetshaving method and a cartridge razor.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

A friend of mine (accountant) used an electric to shave while driving to work, simple, efficient and time saving. Introduced him to traditional wet shaving and the electric has been in the drawer for years now.
Regards,
Squire