What I have learned....

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
brotherderekb

What I have learned....

Post by brotherderekb »

I got bit with the DE bug about six months ago and, finally, feel like I might be able to contribute something meaningful. Thanks to all the "old pros" like Squire and others who have helped along the way.

In a nutshell, after having bought and tried almost every Merkur product - i.e Futur, Vision, Progress, Slant, Open Comb, etc. - I found that the razor I prefer most is a 1965 Gillette Slim. Go figure....

What I have learned is that they can all do a great job and it is a matter of personal preference. For example, Futur and Vision are the most expensive Merkur's, however, the head is too large for my taste. I can't maneuver it as well, so it didn't make my shaving experience as great as it was with other razors. To each his own...

The best razor blades are Feather and Merkur. The old adage..."you get what you pay for" probably applies. Derby's, 7 am, Treet, etc. are good value blades, but simply aren't as sharp and don't give as many good shaves from one blade.

As for shaving cream, I found that The Art of Shaving (AOS), no scent, works best for me. I am quite sure other higher priced creams perform just as well and it comes down to personal preference. Again, though, I think you get what you pay for, as Proraso - although of good value - is just not as good for delivering a close, irritation free shave.

Lastly, I finally got my routine down, so I thought I'd share it for people newer to the game - or addiction - of DE shaving. It's all about the quest for a consistent and comfortable BBS shave.

1. Shave in shower
2. After you have been in the shower a few minutes, put on a layer of grapeseed oil and let it sit for a few more.
3. Lather up with a good cream and brush
4. Shave downward, with the grain (WTG). On this shave, I adjust my Gillette to 9 for the most aggressive shave I can get.
5. Put another thin layer of grapeseed oil and lather up again.
6. Shave upward, against the grain (ATG). On this shave, I dial the razor down to a 6 or 7, as I don't feel it is necessary to be as aggressive.
7. Lastly, I groom any facial hair I may have with a straight razor, since I can get the best straight lines.
8. Use whatever aftershave or cream you like best.
9. Enjoy your day!

I hope this helps somebody and , again, thanks to all who have posted before me and helped make my DE journey an interesting one. I am always open to new suggestions, as I think I remain a "work in progress" and can learn much more about this crazy addiction/hobby of ours.

Peace and love!

brotherderekb
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome to the forum, brother! If your routine works for you and you're happy with it, that's all that matters. Enjoy your shave!
Regards,
David
grumpy old codger

Post by grumpy old codger »

Adjust to a 9 :shock: ! You, Sir, are a MAN! I quake at a 3.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Hey Bro Derek...

WELCOME TO THE FORUM...
Come often and stay long...

Like "Grumpy" said...a 9, Man you do like a challenge. Please pay particular attention to your technique and remember to let the razor do the work (No Pressure). At 9 you could really do some damage if you aren't careful. Though, you probably already know that. Although I have a lot of room to talk, I use MERKURs. :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...