Cartridge vs. DE - After First Brush/Soap Wetshave

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
chrisisconnorsdad

Cartridge vs. DE - After First Brush/Soap Wetshave

Post by chrisisconnorsdad »

So I finally tried out the the boar hair brush and soap in a VDH kit from Wal-Mart. After realizing I had no idea what I was doing, I followed the guide here
http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=439
and ended up with a great lather good enough for a few passes. I ended up with a great shave (and no irritation even after going WTG, XTG and ATG) but it leaves me with a burning question.

I am still using a multiblade cartridge razor and not a DE safety razor. Am I going to get a greater shave switching over to the DE? All of the videos and tutorials say yes but I was wondering if anyone had some first hand experience going in the same order I had?

Aerosol/Cartridge->Brush+Soap/Cartridge->Brush+Soap/DE Safety Razor
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

See BobS' post 'Fusion musin' in the razors and blades section. It pretty well says it all for me.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Chris, I've used most all the stuff over the 45+ years I've been shaving, including some of the multi bladed thingies, my choice is the open razor but arthritis makes the stropping painful.

In comparison I would say a DE razor is the best tool.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Chris, I've used most all the stuff over the 45+ years I've been shaving, including some of the multi bladed thingies, my choice is the open razor but arthritis makes the stropping painful.

In comparison I would say a DE razor is the best tool.
Again - our man hitting the nail directly on the head.

Take time to learn the trade of wet shaving -- it's well worth the investment.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Along with the three Senior Shaving Senators, I believe anything more than one blade is unnecessary once you have honed your skills and technique with the DE safety razor.

But...if as a matter of convenience...a cartridge razor works for you from a time or personal perspective and provides a satisfactory result then by all means.
Good shaving,

Gary
merkri

Post by merkri »

I'm not sure if I can say I started in the same order, but I did use a cartridge at first.

I definitely get better shaves from a DE razor--it's the lack of razor burn and irritation that's the most different.

I did try using a cartridge with soaps, etc. and found that although they were similarly less irritating, I got much closer shaves from a DE razor.

My prediction is that you'll get a closer shave with the lack of irritation you're mentioning.

I guess if you're happy with what you're doing, stick with it. If you want a closer shave, maybe try a DE. It is cheaper, if nothing else.
iancevans

Post by iancevans »

We have at least one experienced member who has stuck with a cartridge and reports excellent shaves. Many of us switched away from cartridges because the multiple blades irritate our skin.

My conclusion from the collective experience is that if you have the skin for it, a cartridge can deliver as close and comfortable a shave as a DE.

If your shaves are as close and comfortable as you'd like, the only reason to switch to a DE is to save money on blades and perhaps the aesthetics of it. Why not give the new routine with the cartridge a week or two and see if the skin continues to like it?
Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice
chrisisconnorsdad

Post by chrisisconnorsdad »

I guess I could be more clear...I am definately not satisfied with the shave I get from a cartridge. I will at least be trying the DE but I wanted to guage some of the reaction out there.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, A large majority of the active members at SMF use DE razors ( and most of those who do not use single bladed & single edged vintage razors or straights ), and many of these DE shavers came here originally as cartridge shavers. So, that tells you something, I think. One thing though, do NOT expect to be able to just pick up a DE and get the kind of shave that many of us do. Using one well is a learned skill, and often some bad habits, picked up while using cartridgers, have to be unlearned first. So, be prepared for period of less than stellar shaves as you pick up the skills required. If you know this in advance, it helps avoid unrealistic expectations and initial disappointment.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Chris an advantage the DE has over cartridge razors is you can choose the blade.
Regards,
Squire
winkydink

Post by winkydink »

As another newbie here, I am getting great shaves using my Sensor cartridges while waiting for my SS DE to arrive from ebay.

Whereas before I used a lot of pressure against the skin and one pass for my shave, I am now using no pressure and 3 passes, XTG, XTG, ATG, and am getting the closest shaves I can recall. No rash, no bumps, etc...

Everybody here has told me to expect an even closer shave once I become skilled with the DE. I can't wait!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Winky, Welcome. Once you get the techique down, it will be at least as close, if not closer. But perhaps equally important, I think you will find it a much more satisfying experiance. BTW, you're fortunate because no matter what I do, or don't do, with a multi-blade cartridge, I wind up with razor bumps etc. anyway. Let us know how it goes when the Supersport arrives.
Regards,
Gordon
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I first used the VDH set-up with a Mach 3. Going to a brush and soap was a bigger improvement than going from a cartridge to DE razor, but both were big improvements. For me, I could get close or smooth with the Mach 3, but can get both with a DE.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
IanM

Post by IanM »

Hello.

A while back, I carried out a little experiment which you can read about below:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... experiment

I appear to be one of the fortunate few that can get a good, problem free shave from a Multiblade cartridge, but most of the time, I prefer to use a DE or an Injector.

If cartridge razors don't give you any issues and you can stand the cost, then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use one.

Basically, use whatever works for you.

Ian
Gene

Post by Gene »

Like Ian, and a few others, I can use a cartridge device, too. I drew the line at the Mach 3, never having the desire for 4, or 5 bladed razor blades.

BUT - with costs for the blades on the upward slope of the hockey stick I knew I wanted to go back to my roots, DE shaving.

As long as I can get decent blades for my DE or injector (really love that thing Ron - you know who you are!) I won't look back.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
merkri

Post by merkri »

ChemErik wrote:For me, I could get close or smooth with the Mach 3, but can get both with a DE.
That pretty much sums up my experience with cartridges vs. DE.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i started with de shaving in the 70's and as many have, i have tried and tried with each new multi-blade invention. and have always gone back to de. it just works best. gives you more options and the shave is the best.

and its the only time i fully enjoy shaving

de rules

marc
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

I can get great shaves with a multi blade. Today I used a Extreme 3, my Polo 10 and Sweet Tobacco from Ginger's Garden and my shave was fantastic. Close, comfortable and smooth. I like using a DE because it's a nod to how things used to be and more traditional.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
95%

Post by 95% »

bernards66 wrote:Chris, A large majority of the active members at SMF use DE razors ( and most of those who do not use single bladed & single edged vintage razors or straights ), and many of these DE shavers came here originally as cartridge shavers. So, that tells you something, I think. One thing though, do NOT expect to be able to just pick up a DE and get the kind of shave that many of us do. Using one well is a learned skill, and often some bad habits, picked up while using cartridgers, have to be unlearned first. So, be prepared for period of less than stellar shaves as you pick up the skills required. If you know this in advance, it helps avoid unrealistic expectations and initial disappointment.
Regards,
Gordon
I'm sure Gordon is right about that. If I were to decide to take up DE shaving again - which I haven't done since the Trac II was introduced in the early 70's - I would approach the task with great trepidation. I would allow myself not just several days, but several weeks to learn how to manipulate the razor and for my skin to adjust to its different feel.

But the same is true with a multiblade. It is not idiot-proof. Most men can use one without major problems, but they won't get particularly good results without some experience, attention, and skill. After four years with the Fusion, I'm able to realize its full potential: a near-perfect shave with no ill after-effects. Four passes, no problem. Against and across the grain, no problem. But if I were starting out for the first time, I would be wrong to tackle the job aggressively. Instead I'd begin modestly and with low expectations, and work up to better shaves in the future.
Porter
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

My results with a cartridge and DE are similar. I really hate the prices of the cartridges. I can buy a year's supply of DE blades for the cost of one refill pack.

The multiblade contraptions clog up with hair after one use. I can not even wash the hairs out. It turns my stomach just to look at the used cartridge. The DE blades wipe clean. Plus they are better for the environment.
Ed