absolute beginner question: Merkur Classic 1904?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
geezerpaul

absolute beginner question: Merkur Classic 1904?

Post by geezerpaul »

I am an absolute beginner, want to try shaving with a safety razor. I've been using Mach 3 for a few years. I have tried various electric shavers but they always give me bumps on the neck, they're no good for me.

I have read the introductory sticky posts above, very helpful.

Do you think the Merkur Classic 1904 /1906 razor is good for beginners?
I found it on West Coast Shaving.
And why does it have two versions, With Bar and Open Tooth? What's the difference?

giammi

Post by giammi »

I think that the Merkur 1904 can be used for beginners, because they are mild shavers. What you have in the picture is the open comb version, which is more aggressive. So maybe the 1906 with the safety bar might be a better option.
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome Paul. I have and use the open comb version of this razor, but it is normally advised that beginners use a safety-bar razor. The open combs tend to be more aggressive and require better technique in order to avoid cutting yourself. Merkurs are already adequately aggressive, so starting with the safety bar version is probably your best bet.
Regards,
Andy
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Paul,

Welcome to SMF. I think the Merkur 1904 w/safety bar would make an excellent razor for either a novice or expert. It is well made, has a very nice nickel plate finish and is set up geometry wise to be an easy shaver to use.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your results.
Good shaving,

Gary
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Paul,

Use the saftey bar version until you are very comfortable with your technique. Like Gary said, Merkur razors are usually more aggrressive than other razors and for a beginner the safety bar style would be advisable.

Don't hesitate to ask questions. The answer can probably be found by conducting a search for posts, but that can be rather overwhelming, so "Ask Away".

WELCOME TO THE FORUM...
Come often and stay long...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome to SMF, Paul!
Regards,
David
geezerpaul

Post by geezerpaul »

Thanks for the welcome, and the responses.
I think special thanks for the advice to get the safety bar as a beginer! Safety first.

I have been using an Omega brush and Mach 3 for about ten years. I mostly just use regular bath soap, I bought a Williams shaving soap but haven't tried it yet.

I'd like to try the old fashioned way.
It's just a thing with me. I like lots of old fashioned things. I don't mind a little more effort.

Are any double edged blades available at the local drug stores? I haven't looked yet.
function

Post by function »

geezerpaul wrote:
Are any double edged blades available at the local drug stores? I haven't looked yet.
You'll find DE blades at a good number of drug stores, but they seem to be overpriced and not the best blades you can get.

Likely you'll be able to find a sample pack at whatever shop you get your new Merkur from, unless you buy it from a B&M store.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Welcome to SMF
Since you are just starting out I would read up on prep
at our forum...

Alan
[Currently]
Slant
Croma Diamant Blade
Shaves so far 10
Boar or Omega Syntex brush
VDH & Trumpers Sandalwood shave soap
mmortus

Post by mmortus »

Welcome to the forum, Paul!!!
Regards,
Matt
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Welcome Paul. You should fit right in if you 'like old fashioned things and don't mind a little extra effort...'. While the Merkur '1904' with safety bar is a bit more aggressive than what I usually recommend for newcomers, give it a try and see how it goes. And as long as you're ordering, pick up some of the Israeli made Personnas ( often sold as 'Crystals' ), here's where that 'little extra effort' comes in. The DE blades you are going to find in the local stores range from very mediocre to genuinely awful, and it's not worth it to make this harder than it has to be. Starting out with a decent blade is important. So is a good, easy to use, shaving prep product. Cough up the extra money for a tube of Taylors cream, or similiar. Let's start off on the right foot.
Regards,
Gordon
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

PAUL,

He sells a sample pack. there are others, just happened on a post with the url:

http://westcoastshaving.com/

http://westcoastshaving.com/index.php?m ... ample+pack

Reputable dealer.

Also, look on the right side of the SMF Home Page. There are some good vendors that are reputable dealers.

A couple of links you may find interesting that may answer a few of your questions.

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11164

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... 00805dee22
(Racso) Oscar...
geezerpaul

Post by geezerpaul »

Well I tried my first shave today with a DE razor.
I was lucky enough to pick up a Gillette Fat Boy yesterday at a junk shop for $4. I got a few DE blades at my local drug store and tried it today.

I'm not one of the lucky guys who say "best shave ever" on the first try.
Still lots to learn. Luckily I had an old hocky puck shaving soap with the Old Spice ship printed on it. Nice and smooth lather, the aroma was reminiscent of some sort of fat, perhaps lanolin? That's what it smelled like.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

geezerpaul wrote:Well I tried my first shave today with a DE razor.
I was lucky enough to pick up a Gillette Fat Boy yesterday at a junk shop for $4. I got a few DE blades at my local drug store and tried it today.

Still lots to learn. Luckily I had an old hocky puck shaving soap with the Old Spice ship printed on it. Nice and smooth lather, the aroma was reminiscent of some sort of fat, perhaps lanolin? That's what it smelled like.
OK here's the rhetoric...
Preparation, Preparation, Preparation...
Technique, Technique, Technique...
No pressure, let the razor do the work...
Remember: It's not a race; It's your face...
Relax, Take your time, and...Enjoy your shave... :D
(Racso) Oscar...
Pureslab

Post by Pureslab »

geezerpaul wrote:Well I tried my first shave today with a DE razor.

Not sure anyone got the best shave on their first try with a DE
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Not that I recall, no. Do take Oscar's mantra to heart and check in here often.
Regards,
Gordon
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

Pureslab wrote:Not sure anyone got the best shave on their first try with a DE
Well I'll be a son of a gun, but I did. However, I had for some prior time been using soap-and-brush and was used to that part of it. I put aside the Bic Sensitive disposals I'd used for years after my dermatologist told me the twin-blade shavers were responsible for the bumps and patchy irritation I had seen him for.

Took the plunge, bought the 20-buck black-handled Feather and really took to heart all I'd read about letting the razor do the work. In my case, it paid off; I was grinning all that day. I got nicked the third shave (with the supplied super-sharp, scalpel-of-death Feather blade), but stuff like that happens to everyone now and again, no?

Now I own three DEs and am working my way through the samples I've been sent. So far, I like the blank Personnas I bought at my local RiteAid the best. Which is a little surprising, but not, considering all I have learned from fellow DE shavers.

Anyway, never discount a heaping helping of beginner's luck! :)
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Michael, Well, you were fortunate, but you also were not starting from where most newcomers are at. Not only did you already have the brush and lather bit pretty well down already, but you had been using a fixed blade disposible, not the pivoting head 3,4, and 5 bladed numbers that most newbies are used to. So, you were ahead of the usual game in the razor department as well. Not to take anything away from your achievement....merely adding a little perspective if other brand newbies read this.
Regards,
Gordon
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

bernards66 wrote: So, you were ahead of the usual game in the razor department as well. Not to take anything away from your achievement....merely adding a little perspective if other brand newbies read this.
Regards,
Gordon
Oh, that's what I'm saying! The experience does give weight to the adage that to be forewarned is to have four arms. Or something like that? 8)
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS