having trouble building lather

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
jpq5

having trouble building lather

Post by jpq5 »

I've moved from my tobs cream to try out some soap. Col. Conk to be exact. The first time the lather came out a bit thin, so my second shave I shook out my brush a few extra times. So now using less water, I figured I would not move to a mug, but actually build right on the soap in the bowl. I swirled and swirled and swirled, adding just a couple drops of water in between. I must have spent 4 to 5 minutes doing this but still not the rich lather I want. Needless to say my shave was just sub-par. I realize it takes time to this craft, but if anyone knows from experience with this soap; is this what I can expect from conk? I know many of you will say it takes time, and I agree. So maybe this was just me venting.
thanks for the time, happy shaving
Jake.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that
genius has it's limits. ---Albert Einstein
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

The lather from this type of soap never gets sudsy and thick in the same way that Taylor's cream does. Expect it to be perhaps a bit thin-looking but quite slippery and effective. Some people like this style of soap a lot, others not so much.

I suspect (almost certain) from what you say that you actually had far far too much soap on your brush and that's why it didn't work.

- Don't lather on the soap, it doesn't work consistently. Either on your face, or in a separate container. (where "separate container" may even mean your other hand if you desire)
- Wet the brush thoroughly, then shake it out so there's just a little water left - you'll have to experiment with that as each brush is a bit different. If you had a good thing going with Taylor's cream, then start with the same water as that and adjust next time if necessary.
- Take a reasonable number of brush strokes on the soap, say between five and twenty. Time-on-soap is most definitely measured in seconds and not minutes.
- Work that up and see how it's turning out. Add a little water or a little more soap if necessary. If it's terrible, rinse it down the drain and try again.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jake, I agree with NTS; cold pour soaps like that are not going to give you the same type of lather that you can get with a cream like Taylors. To get close to that, with a hard soap, you would have to go to one of the top end triple milled specimens, like Trumpers. They are capable of producing a lather quite similiar ( although not the same ) as the classic creams.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Jake. This is good advice from the others. My contribution would only be to practice. Not to shave, not putting it on your face unless you just want to for some reason, just practicing with the soap and the brush, and probably the best for practice is to make the lather in your other hand. I am here to testify that I've learned a lot about lathering by a lot of practicing with the different and new soaps that might have been causing some trouble. Any time that's convenient, all you gotta do then is rinse it off your hands. Plus, it gives you a chance to examine the lather up close, and being able to get a sense about the thickness of the lather because you can rub it between your hands while you're practicing.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

jake i havent used col conk products in many years

but i remember that it never gave a rich creamy lather ,, i never enjoyed the product as i do with mwf or trumpers or other higher end products

with that said, all the above posts i agree with, for getting the best lather

marc
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have never been a dab hand with cold-pour soaps so decided to give it up. It's not that I can't get the lather to build, it's more that I don't like the feel of the lather from a cold-pour soap.

But ----

Give MWF a try! :D

Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I had a shave stick from QED a few years ago. It was a similar type of soap though perhaps somewhat nicer than Conk. It shaved great - I just had to not stare at the lather while I was making it as it "looked wrong" even when it was perfect. I remember taking that stick on a trip somewhere and getting better shaves than at home. There is a good feel to it when you get it right, even though it looks different. It's not rocket science, as they say - with a normal/reasonable amount of water and a normal/reasonable amount of soap, it works fine.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I generally recommend that a new soap shaver start with a shave stick and build the lather on his beard. Reason: a shave stick will put enough soap on the beard (that is, as your rub the stick against the grain all over your wet beard, your beard will scrape off the right amount of soap). Then you wet your brush, one small shake, and brush your beard vigorously. Sometimes a small dribble of water might be needed in the middle of the brush, sometimes not.

Try a D.R. Harris shave stick, for example: a terrific soap and a great lather.

I have not had great success with Col. Conk, FWIW.
Lord Ponsenberry Smyth

Post by Lord Ponsenberry Smyth »

jww wrote:I have never been a dab hand with cold-pour soaps so decided to give it up. It's not that I can't get the lather to build, it's more that I don't like the feel of the lather from a cold-pour soap.

But ----

Give MWF a try! :D
LOL :lol:
Toooo Silly !!!!
So it's try MWF or back to the TOBS.
David Ponsenberry Smyth 111. ( Lord )
Advocate for the use of French and Italian soaps.

Post by brothers »

It might be time to consider Tabac. Lathers and shaves like a dream.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I've never used glycerin soaps or non tallow soaps. I mean I have one I think, but have not used it.

With any soap it would be my guess that loading the brush from the puck with good amount would be what is needed. If the brush contains too much water, that would not happen?

There are shave stick users and bowl latherers who build their lather on a bowl for optimum. They are the 2 exreme school latherers.

Most of us are face lathers that sure build some sort of preload of soap on the almost "dry" shaken brush. And then go to build that optimum lather on face. Dipping one or 2 times to sink with the process. And most importantly finish the lather with paint brush style to finish the creamy pasture. No bubbles to be seen and not too much water in the lather.

Boar brushes are a bit wierd, so above advice dont apply to them.

Hope this helps,

Jarmo
Jarmo
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Jarmo - I think you are right.

I just wanted to say I love your phrase "the creamy pasture". I know exactly what you wanted to say - but "pasture" only means "the green field where the farmer lets the animals eat". Putting this idea together with shaving makes you better than a lot of poets. Thanks - my shave today will be much more interesting than it was yesterday. :)