One Pass, Two Pass...

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
StraightRazorRookie

One Pass, Two Pass...

Post by StraightRazorRookie »

... three potato, four! (sorry...)

OK guys, I'm acknowldging that I may be starting with blasphemy, expecially relative to the shaving frequency of our esteemed Squire. I typically only shave about every four or five days. SWMBO likes the rugged look (her call, not mine. I'm just a dude trying to get through the week.)

Before joining this forum I'd never heard of multiple pass shaving. I just went this way and that, WTG, ATG, all in one pass, but effectively giving myself two or even three passes with one lathering of canned stuff.

Now of course, I do two passes (WTG, ATG) with rinse and re-lather in between. With my lack of shaving frequency, I find my first pass takes my beard down to about where it'd be if I shaved every day or two.

Now for my question. does this mean that if I shaved every day or two, I could get away with one ATG pass?
Last edited by StraightRazorRookie on Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed, the Straight Razor Rookie,
documenting the journey at:
http://straightrazorrookie.blogspot.com
Moe

Post by Moe »

Redacted.
Last edited by Moe on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I'm a one pass shaver. Like you I shave every 3 days or so. I found it makes no difference as far as results go how long I wait between shaves. The result is always the same: After one pass I look good feel good and am totally kissable which at the end of the day is all that matters :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
StraightRazorRookie

Moe,

Thanks for the info/insights. I should have included that I'm currently shaving with DEs rather than straights. Great info however, for when I tackle them.
StraightRazorRookie

Clive, apparently I'm kissable before AND after. Should I just count myself lucky and shut up?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Should I just count myself lucky
is your question rhetorical? haha

I'm sure the gents that really know what they are doing will be able to give you good answers. Also I use a de which might make a huge difference

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i dont use a straight. but i have years back.

just talking shaving in general. straight or de dont matter for your question.

many enjoy shaving every other day or even every two days etc etc
i feel and think as we get older shaving more often is key for looking your best and being as attractive as can be but this to is another subject..

bottom line is .. what ever your choice of razor maybe.. going right to a atg pass is going to have not your best results

for a atg pass you need to have reduced your growth as much as possible
so the pass has as little interference as possible

just from your own experience im sure you can feel the difference of a atg
pass as compared to a wtg or even across the grain

so not shaving for a few days and just doing a atg will not be as easy and could get you problems following the shave.. ingrowns irration bumps

if would be a harsh shave... no body likes that and many of the reasons we here choose straights and single and double edge razors is to avoid the after the shave effects

even here at smf we talk of daily shaving with 2 or 3 passes thats is generality there isnt any such rule one must go by to keep the shaving police away

we have just found the path of least resistance and we are passing it along to others 2 and 3 pass shavings and knowing the direction of bread growth gives the easiest most comfortable and longest lasting shave

everybody has to find there way ... so find what works best for you and stick to it and lots of luck

marc
Lou

Post by Lou »

I agree that going right to an ATG pass could be rough on your face. I think a WTG pass is the best way to start.
AxelH

Re: One Pass, Two Pass...

Post by AxelH »

StraightRazorRookie wrote:... three potato, four! (sorry...)

[snip snip]

Now for my question. does this mean that if I shaved every day or two, I could get away with one ATG pass?
How about psuedo-ATG passes, diagonal passes? Maybe one in each direction.. which, done the way you did before, would be a one-pass operation, maybe with re-lathering here and there, for the equivalent of a two pass shave? Consensus here is that ATG is the harshest, which IME is definently true, but if you can pull it off then more power to you.

I didn't find the complexion improvement with a straight-edge to happen until I finally dedicated myself to consecutive days of use. I found the skin acclimated to it and felt smoother. I have rough, bumpy, yet sensitive skin. I went five days without, then six, could get away with it but very recently, as an experiment, did not shave for eight days. Used a DE and had a smooth shave, which always happens when I didn't shave the previous day. But then I used a straight today, one which I knew was very sharp (to minimize the risk of irritation). Today I had a relapse into the post-shave pinkness and feeling of rawness. A very smooth shave which cleared up, but still a regression. No burn, BTW. I'll recondition the skin with consecutive straight shaves and it will become better.

If you can manage an ATG shave, perhaps your face can adapt in toughness/conditioning to an every other day ATG shave. Only you can find out.
Lover of cold, hard steel.
TstebinsB

Post by TstebinsB »

ATG passes are more likely to cause your skin irritation and discomfort. How sensitive is your skin? Shaving so infrequently will help your skin recover but if you're constantly blotting weepers, plucking out ingrown hairs, or soothing rashes, then it's not a good idea to start with an ATG pass. At least, it's not a good idea to do it until you get more experience. If you find that all your twisting and turning does you no harm and your skin feels great afterward, which is what it sounds like, then it's OK to push forward.

Next, how much growth do you have after four or five days? Is your hair thin or is it thick? If I went that many consecutive days without shaving, I'd emerge out of bed like a grizzly bear. Even with a Feather, the only blade I use, a first-pass, ATG shave would be a struggle. The shave would be too choppy. I wouldn't have the rhythm that I usually enjoy when I shave. If these aren't issues for you, then I say to try it out.

As for me, my preferred technique is to make an XTG pass first. That gives me more smoothness than WTG but less irritation than ATG. In fact, I've removed the WTG pass from my routine altogether.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I was a 3 pass haver until I realized that first WTG did not do much for me.
These days 2 passes, XTG and second mostly ATG does it to me.

My skin cannot take only an ATG pass and I need first a reduction pass.

2 pass shaves I can take even if having skipped wet shaving for a few days.

I don't need an electric shaver to finish my shaves at all, but if I feel some whiskers left on the corners of my mouth, under my nose, something growing out my nose or ears, being 51 years old, I apply a few seconds buzz.

Jarmo
Jarmo
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I can normally get by with xtg and atg -- but I usually do three passes because I love to shave.

The way I see it - the more time I have with the Fat, the better. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

Shaving mostly for the sake of being presentable, a one pass every day works fine for me. Every other day would have worked in previous jobs but doesnt float in a corporate environment with the barb I have. I take the weekends off but even after 2 days of no shave, Ive found a one pass with a straight works very well.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Red pass, blue pass...

I've developed into a two pass shaver (straight razor) recently, having eliminated the XTG. On occasion I've done one pass and been very presentable - still better shaved than the majority, I'd bet, but the area from adam's apple to underchin for me needs the extra attention if I want it close to smooth.

I reckon the straight razor, by dint of being uncloggable among other reasons, is the ideal tool for taking off several days worth of growth - but I'd go with one WTG pass every couple of days, rather than one ATG.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm one of the guys that just likes the shave process. I always start out wtg, then the xtg pass is where the majority of the shave takes place as I move to an xtg in the other direction, (if wtg is N/S, and my first xtg is NE/SW, then my second xtg would be NW/SE. By then, there are only a couple of stubborn places that might need the threat of an atg pass just to show 'em who's the boss, at that point I declare it complete, and if I missed any spots, then they'll be OK until tomorrow.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

There are people who make only 1 pass with a straight. It depends on many parameters imho.
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

Lately I find that two WTG passes are doing it for me. A couple of XTG on the chin for touch-up has been fine.

In any event, today is my last full-face shave of the season. It's time once again for my annual mustache and chin-cap. :lol:
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
Greenhouse

Post by Greenhouse »

I usually do a three-pass shave. However, on days when I'm in a hurry (or just not in the mood for the whole ritual), I get by with one pass. My single-pass shave is across the grain (diagonal). Actually, it's a bit of a hybrid; if I shave across an area that leaves whiskers, I dab a little more lather on that spot and try it at a different angle.

I have been moderately successful with two WTG passes in the past. In my normal routine, I do one with the grain, one across the grain, and one against the grain.

- Greenhouse