Shaving technique

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Andrew

Shaving technique

Post by Andrew »

This morning after shaving I felt that my technique might need some changing. I currently use two passes but I wonder can my passes be more effective by changing the direction or number etc. Hence, I am looking for a post or posts which contain shaving technique information. I have had the same technique for about 10 years and perhaps it is time to return to the basics in order to improve my shaving experience.

Thanks,
Andy
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

If you go to the same place where you started your post (here), look at the first link, called "Useful Videos". In there are videos from "Mantic" showing many aspects of how to shave. Anyone may disagree about details, but mainly his videos are very good.
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

Mantic is definitely the place to start. His technique isn't gospel, but is the standard among wet shavers today. Most common issue I've found is most people need to load more soap on their brush than Mantic uses in his videos to make good lather.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Andy, The issue of 'technique' potentially covers a lot of territory and there has been a great deal written about it here in various threads. Could you be more specific?....what, exactly, are you currently doing, and what seems unsatisfactory about it?
Regards,
Gordon
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

And to add to that: there are the basics, which several people agree on, :D
and then there are finer points, on which any two people are likely to disagree.

In truth though, if you are getting close comfortable shaves every time, then your technique is perfect.

Jean-Pierre Rampal held his flute noticeably crooked.
Bud Herseth's upper lip looked kind of uneven inside his trumpet mouthpiece.

And they got great shaves every time. :roll: :lol:
95%

Post by 95% »

Mantic's "Gillette slide" is a technique that works well for me, and I have modified it. In general, I suggest you experiment with different approaches until you find the best combination. Try various angles in different passes, e.g. North to South on the first pass, ear to chin on the second, chin to ear on the third, South to North on the fourth, or whatever. It's a highly individualistic matter, which is a reason to enjoy it. Take it easy, don't aim for perfection immediately, and remember that a face with a little stubble is far preferable to one that is sore and irritated by over-shaving.
Porter
King-D

Post by King-D »

Andy,
If you've been wet shaving for 10 years, I don't think you need to visit the "basics". Maybe what you're looking for is a change of routine, to see if a different technique suits you better. So here's a couple of suggestions:
- Try stretching your skin during your passes, if you don't already do so
- Try shaving with light, quick swipes with the razor, instead of slow, steady passes. I really liked this technique when I tried it.
- Definitely try different razors and blades.
David

Shave in the shower!
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Everyone thanks for the suggestions. I have been doing 2 north south passes followed with a lateral touch up pass where needed.
I believe when I first started out my first pass was north south followed by a ears to chin pass then I think a chin to ears pass under the neck?
Charles in Austin gave me this technique when I first started wet shaving over 10 years ago. As I recall he was very helpful.
Tomorrow morning I will give this technique a try again. It will bring back great memories of my first shave :D . Trumpers sandlewood, Duke 3 and trumpers skin food.
Thanks,
Andy
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Techniques learned from others can be a start, but you MUST modify them to suit the growth of your own beard.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Andy, Indeed....that was the old CR, back when his advice was still calm, comprehensible, even sensible....before....well, nevermind all that ( chuckle ). He was especially fond of the Trumper Sandalwood cream, and also usually recommended the Duke #3 to new wetshavers back then. And I still think that a Trumper cream and a D3 brush is a very hard combo to beat. FWIW, this is my personal technique: two complete lathers and N/S passes, and the third pass at an sideways angle from ear to chin and S/N at an angle away from the center on my neck. This does it for me, giving me the closest shave I'm going to get....any further passes etc. do not improve on it. But when I do only two passes, in whatever direction, the shave is not as good. For me, it takes those three to get the optimal results. But, of course, this is just my personal experiance, others do it differently.
Regards,
Gordon
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Besides techniques, you might try new tools. Specifically, if you've not used a slant bar, I would recommend that you give one a go.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Gordon,
That is the same technique I previously used but without the south/north pass. It is too rough on my skin. I replaced it with a simple touch up where needed. I followed this technique this morning and had a great shave. The second pass from ear to chin was like cutting butter. The result of the prep from my d3. Gordon thanks for your insightful posts.

I must do justice to CR whatever he preaches now I do not know but at the time he help me out immensely. He gave me step by step instructions over the phone. He was very thorough and I thank him for this.

Thanks,
Andy
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Andrew wrote:I must do justice to CR whatever he preaches now I do not know but at the time he help me out immensely. He gave me step by step instructions over the phone. He was very thorough and I thank him for this.
I suspect that he may still mean well. But now his advice is so long-winded, abstruse, and littered with non sequiturs and invented-on-the-spot jargon that anyone who claims to understand it is not being honest with himself.

Perhaps CR has made (long after he advised you) a conscious decision to serve some group of customers who feel better when their choices are confirmed by a large helping of unintelligible mumbo-jumbo - whose eyes have grown accustomed to a covering of wool and who find they prefer it that way. For CR's sake I hope so.

As you say, the man still deserves due credit for the real help he apparently used to provide; and the products he sells may very well be good ones.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I believe his high end customers expect quality service which he delivers with a flourish.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yeah, those cut up burlap bags make some really fine shaving tools. Or so he says. He's got his own mini-forum on another website, but I never check it, so can't say if he still posts there. He wrote some masterpieces back in the day. Just reflecting back on the rags, my grandpa used to have a pile of freshly emptied "toe sacks" on the floor in the corner of the feed shed with the chicken feed.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Squire wrote:I believe his high end customers expect quality service which he delivers with a flourish.
I have no doubt that his service would be exemplary.
95%

Post by 95% »

brothers wrote:Yeah, those cut up burlap bags make some really fine shaving tools. Or so he says. He's got his own mini-forum on another website, but I never check it, so can't say if he still posts there. He wrote some masterpieces back in the day. Just reflecting back on the rags, my grandpa used to have a pile of freshly emptied "toe sacks" on the floor in the corner of the feed shed with the chicken feed.
Are you talking about the miracle shave cloth, Gary? It revolutionized shaving. Made brushes obsolete.
Porter