IF YOU DO THREE PASSES...YOUR REALLY NOT !!!

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
marsos52

IF YOU DO THREE PASSES...YOUR REALLY NOT !!!

Post by marsos52 »

THINK ABOUT THIS ...

just for conversation lets say the first pass is north to south...
and the second pass is across or from ear to mouth...
third pass is south to north....right ???

thats only 2 1/2 passes... the second pass .. isnt completely across ...it should be from ear to ear...

i know.. now your thinking if you shave from totally across your face thats four passes... left ear to right ear,, then right ear to left ear

well for months now i have been doing this, and it makes a total improvement in my shaves.. since i started this i have no more touch-up

i found a long time ago. that touch ups after shaving is the worst.. many times i still dont get totally smooth and even can get irration. then i found
many times when doing touchup if i shaved "with" instead of "against" the touchup area then i get smooth results... that led me to realize that my second pass is not complete. so i began doing the second across pass completely across my face from left ear to right ear and visa versa

and this totally gives me consistently bbs with zero need for touchup
the touch up was needed i feel because i was missing a direction that im not missing now

its takes less time and it less wear and tear to your face

works for me....maybe others can try ..and chime in on your results

i maybe nuts but im not crazy
marc
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Marc, Dunno. I know for me that two full N/S passes and one XTG pass does it for me....no touch-up necessary and no better results possible regardless of what else I might do in addition....unless I was willing to accept razor burn, which I'm not. Whatever works for the individual I guess.
Regards,
Gordon
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

hi gordon,,, my beard grows in so many directions... mapping the beard growth would look like a tangled knot of string...

i found ...well actually i can hear my razors (both the futur and ikon) shaving hair when i use the total second pass..and then i realized thats what i missed with 3 regular passes and thats where i may have to do a touchup..

i have read so many times about others doing touch ups .. so i thought it would be good to share this idea that is working for me..

its much less involved than it reads ...and its much easeier than trying to clean a area after youve already done a total shave

like i mentioned above i have been doing this for months to make sure its not a fluke
marc
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

The goal varies from one shaver to the next and consequently so does the technique. My goal is comfort and looking presentable. My mostly gray whiskers don't show much at all after a simple one-pass WTG shave. A quick cleanup on the chin and jawline and under the nostrils and I'm ready for the day. This is what works for me.

The endless variations of shaving procedures discussed on this forum are very interesting.
Rich
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the research, Marc. This kind of thinking outside of the box and the resulting experience, borne out over time in your case, reinforces the validity of your proposal and could spare some others time and effort in their daily shave.

This kind of experimentation and sharing is what gives forums such as this their value.

- Murray
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I tried to, but my nose keeps getting in the way.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

kav your so funny

i knew that somebody would bring up the nose ...i almost included something about watch your nose ,,,,but i kept it out for some one else to make a comment.... and you did haha

thanks murray for your kind comments too...even after so many years i still try to improve my shaves... and from time to time i still find little things that help.

understand my beard is thick and course. i thought when i got older and the hairs turned to gray and silver that it would make shaving easier
because they would be softer.. they are softer but still as hard to shave as was in my younger days

i do hope a few members try this way... and chime in with their results
i know im not the only one with a heavy beard

marc
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

There are days my shaving patterns look like english wheat fields hit by crop circle pranksters. @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ :roll:
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I think it depends to some extent on a particular person's beard configuration. For me, it's basically two passes, but my second pass is a funny-looking combination of strokes, this way over here, that way over there, based on what has worked for me so far.

One of the most important directions for me to shave is a little swath of beard that I have unofficially named "the chin strap", starting under one ear and going across under the jaw to the other ear, just as the cutesy name suggests.

It was a fearsome thing for me to try it with a straight razor for the first time, that's for sure. :!: Definitely a bit of a confidence test for a clumsy guy.
Lord Ponsenberry Smyth

Post by Lord Ponsenberry Smyth »

Marc my friend,
Perfectly logical.
Your method will obviously work for many.
I shall have my servant "Carruthers" try it out immediatelty if not sooner !

I use 2 passes;
NW to SE and NE to SW.
So the shave uses this pattern: X
( X marks the spot any one ? )
David Ponsenberry Smyth 111. ( Lord )
Advocate for the use of French and Italian soaps.

Post by ThePossum »

Sounds logical Marc. But I will stick with what works for me. 3 passes, WTG, XTG, ATG and then a touch up pass. Besides, the 4th pass just lengthens the wonderful experience that I have when I shave.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

of course use what works best ...no argument there at all.

all i ask is ...or hope...is for a few guys to try this and share there results

just some input

and dont forget to watch out for your nose

hehe
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

One of the best parts of your plan is that (as far as I know) there are not many guys with a nice neat dividing line down the middle of their face where the hair grows leftwards on the left side and rightwards on the right side.

Your "all the way across" approach also has the distinct advantage of not having a potential missed spot at the point of the chin, which the inwards/outwards shavers might have.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

My routine

north to south, face and neck
then south to north, face and neck

(i divide it into face on right, then face on left, then neck, for first pass, and then reverse it and direction on second)

third pass is left ear to right ear, face first then neck
reverse for fourth pass

then I get a QED shave stick, rub it around the face, then paintbrush shave cream lather over it. Then i blade buff face, and then for neck, start at mid point of chin and go at 45 degree angle to bottom of neck and quick short strokes in all directions. then other side of face. gets about half the stuff I think I can feel
95%

Post by 95% »

I do four passes, each in a different direction, followed by a light touch-up. I pay no attention to "grain." I'll refrain from describing the process in detail, since every man must customize his own shave, but the beard reduction method really works. Each pass removes approximately 50% of the whiskers. After Pass 1, half remain. After Pass 2, 25% remain. After Pass 3, about 10% remain. Pass 4 removes all but a bit of stubble here and there, and the touch-up takes care of that. With experience this becomes mechanical and requires little thought, but always results in a close, irritation-free shave.
Porter