Handle repair, Merkur/Hoffritz/Pomco/Coles slants

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Handle repair, Merkur/Hoffritz/Pomco/Coles slants

Post by notthesharpest »

The old models of these razors (I don't know the date cutoff - maybe before the war??) have nickel-plated heads just as the new ones do, but silver-plated handles - and over the silver plate, they put a coat of lacquer to help stop it from tarnishing.

On many of them, the lacquer has gotten all ratty and might as well be removed - on those examples, the silver is tarnished anyway, so the lacquer isn't doing any good. On those, some ordinary silver polish (the rub-on type, not the chemical dip) worked fine for me. The last bits of the lacquer flaked off, and the silver polished up nicely as expected.

But on the nicest old examples, the lacquer is still pretty good. On the knurled grip area, it can look a little bit like white paint. Be careful not to remove or damage the lacquer on your razor, unless you mean to! This means no boiling, no rub-on silver polish, and no other abrasives or scraping. I don't know what the chemical dip type of silver polish would do to lacquer, and I'm not going to be the one to find out. :)
Last edited by notthesharpest on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

why do you need to clean any razor with a chemical???

i have only ever used a light bristled brush like a worn toothbrush and hot tap water... for used razors some rubbing alachol ,,,

im i missing something here??

marc
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I should have named this thread differently - in fact I'll change it now. It's meant to be about fixing discoloured handles. For regular cleaning, I completely agree with you.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

ok now i understand

cool

marc
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

The golden rule for any vintage object is NOT to initiate any cleaning or refinishing until consulting people in the know. Anyone who has watched the Antique Roadshow knows this. Or, as I explained to a kid with a NEWLY sanded and shiny musket; that funny brown stuff is called browning. You just destroyed most of the value in your Brown Bess musket from the revolution.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Maybe I'll have to change my post yet again. :)

If I had any collector-grade razors, or was even interested in collecting, I would keep to an extreme hands-off approach. All I had was good shavers with ugly handles, which I decided to shine up a bit - and wanted to warn others away from inadvertent damage. All the damage I did was completely advertent. :lol:

I once had a vaguely collector-type razor. I sold it, because I couldn't keep that great razor around and not shave with it, yet I also didn't want to scratch it up. The money was worth more to me than the shaves, in that situation.