"SHAVING TIPS"

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

develop a shaving routine and stick to it., if you want to try a change of your ways ,,do only one thing and vary only slightly from your regular way.. ease into it

and try one new thing at a time..this way you can tell better what works and what dont
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

When you have a "big day" of any kind coming, don't plan a new kind of shave for it. When you have to look and feel your best, bring out the "old faithful" equipment and stick to your normal shaving routine. There are hundreds of possible ways to make the day seem special; a nicked nose and a scraped neck are not at the top of the list.
casecracker

Post by casecracker »

Curse not thine razor.
"Now I'm not endorsing it, but you're going to have to pry it out of my cold, dead fingers." - Mantic
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

If the lather doesn't look or feel right, just rinse it off and start again.
Eric
scaryshoes

Post by scaryshoes »

Good tips all!
Anthony

God is good all of the time.

Post by mikeny278 »

For hairs at the base of the neck growing left-right that get easily irritated, on the first pass follow that direction exactly rather than doing the Gillette slide - your skin will thank you in the long run.

Also, when dulling down (going from a sharper blade to a dull blade), give yourself at least 2 days to adjust to the new blade and you may be surprised. I now find Derbys extremely smooth after using them a few days in a row and not reintroducing Super Iridiums or Feathers.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

If you are having a bad day, skip the shave if you can. On some days it is best to avoid sharp objects. If you must shave do not use a straight; use a disposable or a mild DE.
Ed
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

scruffy wrote:If you are having a bad day, skip the shave if you can. On some days it is best to avoid sharp objects. If you must shave do not use a straight; use a disposable or a mild DE.
Some above also mentioned skipping the shaving if you're in a rush. I agree with that (I didn't shave this morning because I had approximately 12 seconds to get from bed to car). If you must shave, though (interview, important meeting, etc), do it with something you know can't hurt you too much - I use a Mach 3 for my head every day, and it comes in handy if I don't have time for a careful shave.
Regards,
Mike
Magic learner

Post by Magic learner »

1. Wait 15-20 mins after you wake up before you shave.

2. Spend a minute or two really working the lather into your stubble with your fingers and then even it out again with your brush.

3. Have a second favourite blade incase rumour-mungers cause a 'run' on your favourite blade!
The road to success is always under construction . . .
brothers

Re: "

Post by brothers »

marsos52 wrote:NOW AND THEN a shave may not be the best you ever had..dont try to make it better..probably no one will even know but you.

live a day with it and tomorrows shave will be amazing

marc
This mature thread is a hidden SMF jewel, and above from marc is one of the best recommendations, I think.
Last edited by brothers on Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: "SHAVING TIPS"

Post by Squire »

A good shave is the second best way to start your day.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've come to understand, from using vintage single edge razors quite often over the past weeks, that the angle of the blade should be quite close, slicing across the shaft of the whiskers, rather than at a more pronounced angle, creating more of a raking or scraping effect.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've come to understand it's more art than science, that what works for one razor may not necessarily work for another.
Regards,
Squire