Yet another "how to" shave video

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
m3m0ryleak

Yet another "how to" shave video

Post by m3m0ryleak »

I would hardly be the one to quibble with a master barber, but I had one or two "he said what ? " moments during the video.

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog ... shave.html

or here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKg5r_Jk ... r_embedded
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
95%

Post by 95% »

Robert has posted here, and I likewise hate to second-guess an experienced barber. But I thought he had too thin a film of lather, and too dry a beard.
Porter
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

thats wasnt a bad video and much better than others i have seen ...

IM NOT TALKING ABOUT MANTICS VIDEOS HAHA

its hard to judge the lather he made,, because we dont know what the product is..
but the lather covered the beard and thats what is most important.

i generally dont make my lather fluffy,, i rather it be towards the thicker side. i do put it on a bit thicker though.

i generally prep my beard with more water and something i use a small amout of shampoo too

i like how he doesnt swirl the brush to make lather or to get the lather on the face.. i been painting 98% of the time and find it works great

i dont use shaving strokes that long.. i used too.. i find shorter strokes are better

but all in all i liked the video..

marc
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

This brings up a question. Is any soap left behind after your pass or is there nothing but nearly soap-free skin? The video shows nothing left behind after using long strokes. Doesn't that run contrary to the general recommendations?

Other than that, I think I'll try the paintbrush style tomorrow.
Ed
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

There is definitely a lot of slippery soap residue left after my shaving pass. However, it doesn't look like much of anything.

I don't think "the general recommendations" are very consistent.

... But I think we as a group are doing a pretty decent job of keeping whichever recommendations really work, and throwing away those that don't. Shaving in the past didn't have a great number of men from different places, of different ages & traditions on an internet forum talking about it, and I think that's the difference.

This is how committees should be - huge, attendance optional, results by gradual consensus, and disagreement welcome. :)
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

All in all a nice video. Robert has what I think a quite light whiskers and maybe why he manages to get a perfectly good shave with only wtg and some xtg passes.

Was nice to hear how he saied that "shaving should be a pleasure and not a chore". Copied from whom we all know.

He uses cream and does not face lather, so his advice to use only painting motions with brush should be taken with this in mind. I sure use the brush first smashed to my face, not hard, but anyways. And always finish with paint brush motions once the lather has been built to brush. Even if you face lather you build the lather into the brush first.

Myself I dont use wtg much. It does very little for me. The first pass is mostly xtg with some wtg. And my second pass is atg/xtg. For instance in my upper lip i never use down strokes. It is a matter of technique and good lather to be able to go sideways on the first pass. And my whiskers are tougher that Robert's.

But yes a nice video. I also use longer strokes than Mantic and I don't have blade buffing or J-hooks in my stroke arsenal, hehe. Mark's beard is more like mine, so I understand why he prefers those advanced techniques. My skin though is perhaps thinner than his I think, living in a colder climate. Summer is of course an exception here in Finland too and skin is tougher then.

Living in north I think is also a reason why I cannot use very sharp blades like Feathers and instead prefer milder blades. And 2 passes are just fine for me.

Jarmo
Jarmo
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ed, FWIW, I use short strokes and there is no visible residue left when I complete the pass, although there is a thin invisible 'film' left from the lather. I also use overlapping strokes. This video has been discussed here before and the seemingly over-thin lather noted as well as a couple of other details with which some of us do not concur.
Regards,
Gordon
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Gordon, I appreciate your comments. Thanks.
Ed