No clear path

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
MR.Z

No clear path

Post by MR.Z »

I have noticed that when shaving my razor does not leave a clear path of where it has been. It is spotty with some areas still having soap on my skin. I causes me to go over the same area too many times in order to get a good shave.

Is my soap too dry? Is my blade too dull? Is my Tech too gentle? Why am I not getting a clean smooth swipe with each pass of the razor?

I am using a Progress that is not very impressive and so I am thinking about another razor. For sensitive skin and a lite beard; Am I better off with a mild Tech with a sharp (Iridium, Feather, etc.) or a more aggressive razor with a milder, coated blade (Derby)?

I appreciate the help and your suggestions.

Irv
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

When this happens to me it's because the lather doesn't have enough water.

Sometimes it only takes a very little extra water to fix it.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Re: No clear path

Post by notthesharpest »

MR.Z wrote:I am using a Progress that is not very impressive and so I am thinking about another razor. For sensitive skin and a lite beard; Am I better off with a mild Tech with a sharp (Iridium, Feather, etc.) or a more aggressive razor with a milder, coated blade (Derby)?
Well, this has something to do with personal preference for sure, and those are not the only two ways. (Another possibility is an aggressive razor and a super-sharp blade, but doing only one pass. And of course there's a medium/average razor and a quite-sharp-but-not-crazy blade, doing two passes, which I think is best for a lot of people.)

I find the Progress "not impressive" too, but only because it's a moderate "normal" kind of design.

I find the really closed-down Tech-type razors difficult to shave with and a bit scratchy.

My best suggestion, if the budget permits, and assuming the Progress is not your style: A 1940's or 1950's Superspeed (not the red tip) with your choice of good, sharp-but-not-crazy blades.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

To each his own I guess - the Progress is likely my favourite razor - I like the weight, the balance and the range of adjustment that I can use for my various purposes during a shave. I also like the slightly rounder head geometry - allows me to add considerable pressure, while using a slow cutting stroke - without irritation. In my experience the razor also is pretty forgiving with blade quality and I can rotate a variety of blades through, and while I notice each blade difference/properties, I still end with a good shave each time.

I don't do well with aggressive razors so keep the Progress dialed down - using a setting of 3/2.5/2 - reducing blade exposure for each of three passes. For the final whisker whack I dial it up to 4 and Buff n' J-hook until the cows come home. I'm left with a very close and more importantly a very comfortable shave.

I also have a 50's SuperSpeed, which in all honesty gives a very good shave - just not as good as the Progress.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:I also have a 50's SuperSpeed, which in all honesty gives a very good shave - just not as good as the Progress.
That's essentially my situation as well - but, everybody's different etc.

Irv - Maybe don't sell that Progress just yet. :)
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i wish i could just tell you what your problem is...but i cant..

many things can make that happen.. its easiest to blame the razor or blade or soap and lather

not every razor and/or blade and even soap will work for everyone the same.. again generally speaking any razor, any blade and any soap will do what it is meant to do.. just each person finds one product or two better for themselves over another..

so, my thinking is prep and technique.. i dont know what your prep is and of course i dont know your technique and experience..

just make sure your beard is totally shave ready via a shower or just using alot of water till its soft..

take more time lathering your face ...so your beard is raised and softened even more.

if your not sure if you need to change your blade then change it to be sure

go slowly and make sure the angle you use to shave is correct. if to steep of a angle it can cause skipping and irration. the correst shaving angle held to your face should shave smoothly as long as your holding the razor just secure enouugh not to let it skip while doing a stroke

if you decide to change the razor and blade company and shaving soap, thats fine but i suggest doing only one at a time not two or three new components at the same time.. this way you really can determine what is the cause and what fixed it

cant hurt to take a step backwards ...and visit mantics you tube videos also

good luck and keep us posted

marc
MR.Z

Post by MR.Z »

I have had the Progress adjusted, re-aligned, short metal knob, long metal knob, and dozens of different blades. I guess the blade angle just isn't for me. I have two bad shoulders and maybe I just can't get my arms up high enough to get the right angle.

I use it on -0-, with Derby blades and still get irritation.

I have put so much money and time into this razor that I am ready to give up and sell it. I hear very little positive comments about the current product coming out of Merkur.

I am thinking about the new feather but there isn't much feedback on it yet. It is very expensive but I am so frustrated with the Progress that I want to get the best razor I can and be done with it......

Irv
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

you cant go wrong with a edwin jagger i think the popular model is called a 89L it is a faily priced razor too..
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

MR.Z wrote:I have had the Progress adjusted, re-aligned, short metal knob, long metal knob, and dozens of different blades. I guess the blade angle just isn't for me. I have two bad shoulders and maybe I just can't get my arms up high enough to get the right angle.

I use it on -0-, with Derby blades and still get irritation.

I have put so much money and time into this razor that I am ready to give up and sell it. I hear very little positive comments about the current product coming out of Merkur.

I am thinking about the new feather but there isn't much feedback on it yet. It is very expensive but I am so frustrated with the Progress that I want to get the best razor I can and be done with it......
Big money does not always get you the best - though it can help. :)

If you've tried everything with the Progress, then I guess it's time to get something else to try. I would definitely want to recommend something less expensive and easier to sell than the Feather stainless.

Though fixing that over-dry lather may make a world of difference - poor lather ruins any shave, even if it's a top-quality razor and a great blade.

If your Progress is supposed to be in great shape and is just not working for you, if you want to you can send a PM and maybe we could work out a trade. My trade plan basically is, you get my razor first, you try it alongside your Progress for a couple of weeks in a "showdown", and you send me whichever one loses the match. I can't lose because I still have a good razor either way, and you can't lose because your shave either gets better or stays the same.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

My Progress somehow felt smoother on the low-to-mid settings than on the very lowest setting. Using the absolute lowest can perhaps encourage you to press harder. You might try opening it just a little bit.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

notthesharpest wrote:My Progress somehow felt smoother on the low-to-mid settings than on the very lowest setting. Using the absolute lowest can perhaps encourage you to press harder. You might try opening it just a little bit.
I think that's a very good suggestion - and forgive me because I 'm not sure how long you've been doing the DE thing, but you might want to try and relax more - using your shoulders is not a particularly relaxed form and you shouldn't need to raise you arm up that high. Try to drop the elbow a bit and use more wrist to control things... Be one with the razor :wink:

As David has suggest elsewhere - also be mindful of the angle - put the razor head perpendicular to your face and drop the bottom of the handle down towards the floor until the safety bar on the head just touches your cheek. This is the "right angle" to get going with.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
King-D

Post by King-D »

If you haven't tried a quality shaving CREAM yet, then I highly recommend it. A good cream isn't so finicky about water, and , I believe, more forgiving about technique.
Proraso (C.O. Bigelow), TOBS & Trumpers will work.
David

Shave in the shower!
MR.Z

Post by MR.Z »

notthesharpest wrote:My Progress somehow felt smoother on the low-to-mid settings than on the very lowest setting. Using the absolute lowest can perhaps encourage you to press harder. You might try opening it just a little bit.
I have heard this from a couple of members. So, I think you are on to something. I am going to try opening the Progress up a little at a time and see if I get a better shave with fewer passes and less pressure. I am going to change to the plastic knob from the short metal and put more weight at the head. May even try some different blades.

It will be like starting over. I think a lot of the problem is dryness now that it's in the 90's every day and air conditioning removes moisture.....

I have been wet shaving for many years. I just turned 60. Old enough to know what I'm doing. My biggest mistake was giving my Gillette Aristocrat to my nephew for his 18th BD, thinking I would get rid of my old razor and get a new one. Just haven't found the right new one that's as good as the old Gillette. A vintage Gillette in great condition can cost as much as the new Feather. That's hard for me to justify in my mind, but my face may appreciate it. A few weeks will tell.

I am going to make some adjustments and do some more trial and error before giving up on it. Also, going to try shaving in a different position that will require less strain on my shoulders.

Thanks for your input. I will keep you posted. Maybe we'll both be ready for a trial exchange soon.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Better lather (with more water to keep the AC from drying it out), fewer passes, and less pressure. Nobody can argue with that plan.

Gillette had several very different models over the years that went by the name Aristocrat. Which kind did you have?
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

[quote="MR.Z"][quote="notthesharpest"]

I have been wet shaving for many years. I just turned 60. Old enough to know what I'm doing. My biggest mistake was giving my Gillette Aristocrat to my nephew for his 18th BD, thinking I would get rid of my old razor and get a new one. Just haven't found the right new one that's as good as the old Gillette. A vintage Gillette in great condition can cost as much as the new Feather. That's hard for me to justify in my mind, but my face may appreciate it. A few weeks will tell.
quote]

Hi there,

Having all that experience and having good results with certain razors tells me the razors now being used are the problem. That's gotta be it, since the Aristocrat worked so well in the past.

I've never tried a Progress, but have used various Techs over the years. They shave nothing like an Aristocrat, since the head design(among other things) is totally different. Sounds like you have an easy solution to your problem from what I can see. I've tried a LOT of razors over the years, and many of em aren't suited for my face(for whatever the reason). Doesn't surprise me a bit to hear you having less than steller shaves because the razor doesn't match up well.

The price for a 1950s type Aristocrat will be under $100, and that's one in nice shape with a case. You might like to start a WTB thread and see what happens.

Hope that helps somehow,

Martin
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Irv, Okay. Your last post helped clarify it for me. While I like a milder shaver it is possible to close the Progress down too far, which could lead to the result you're getting, ie, the blade not tracking entirely and leaving lather on the skin after the stroke. So, give opening it up a LITTLE a try. If it's still no-go then why fool around? You know from prior experiance that the vintage TTO Gillettes work for you, so just get another one. A lste '40s or '50s Superspeed isn't very costly and your problem will likely be solved. FWIW, while for me the Progress worked better than any other Merkur razor I've tried, it still didn't hold a candle to my vintage Gillettes. Oh, and also, just on the off chance that you don't already do this; overlap the strokes and stretch the skin lightly with your free hand if your shoulder condition will permit this. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I vote for a change of razor, we all can use a backup.
Regards,
Squire
Batmang

Re: No clear path

Post by Batmang »

MR.Z wrote:Am I better off with a mild Tech with a sharp (Iridium, Feather, etc.) or a more aggressive razor with a milder, coated blade (Derby)?

I appreciate the help and your suggestions.

Irv
Hi Irv-

You've received lots of great suggestions so far. I am of similar vintage as you and it sounds like we have similar beard types as well. Given the usual "YMMV" caveat, I have found that I like less aggressive razors; I like my Fat Handle Tech/ Feather blade combination...I also have a Jagger Chatsworth with the newer Muhle head with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (Sharpedge) or Red Personna, and my birth year razor ('51 Superspeed) which is the late '40s style). My Red Tip and Merkur HD were just a tad too aggressive for my tastes. Unfortunately, even after I find a combination that works I like to experiment as I suffer from the "so many blades/soaps/creams/ so little time syndrome."

Good luck.
Nathan

A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.----Yogi Berra
jbc

Post by jbc »

I would recommend that you not worry about the fact that the razor does nor leave a clear path, mine doesn't either. I can tell where the razor has been by the lather, I can't really tell by the path the razor leaves. I think that if your razor leaves a clear path you have one of those heavy beards and mine isn't, its quite light. So don't get overly concerned about it.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Irv, the Progress simply doesn't work for me and I used one daily for six months. The Futur though works perfectly.
Regards,
Squire