Lathering lip and chin

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
a-cut-above

Lathering lip and chin

Post by a-cut-above »

Having just shaved my small beard and mustache, I am now lathering my whole face for the first time in a long while. How do you gents lather the upper lip, under the nose, and the area above your chin around your mouth? Do you attempt a precision application of lather with a corner of the brush or do you turn your lips in and go over your whole lower face like you would on other areas (cheeks and neck)?
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I do sort of a bit of both. Doesn't matter in my opinion, whatever works & is comfortable for you. If you apply with a light touch, then make sure you give it a few seconds extra to soak in before you shave that area.
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Dave,

With upper lip just pinch lips together and lather. You can also take your index finger and place it in between bristles and apply lather that way as well.

As for above the chin around mouth area, I do rotary motion there.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

pinch lips tight, lather away. quadruple fold a power towel, press lips down on said paper towel and whaLa, a soap free shaving experience.

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

and dont forget to wipe away the lather that is covering your nostrils
so you can breath ...
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

notthesharpest wrote:....... If you apply with a light touch, then make sure you give it a few seconds extra to soak in before you shave that area.
True, one of the downsides to the precision approach.
marsos wrote:and dont forget to wipe away the lather that is covering your nostrils
so you can breath ...
...and the downside to the painting-the-side-of-the-house approach
fallingwickets wrote:pinch lips tight, lather away. quadruple fold a power towel, press lips down on said paper towel and whaLa, a soap free shaving experience.
I have been using my index finger......

Like nts, it seems the best approach will be a combination of the two with repeated but "precision" passes with the brush on the upper lip to work the lather in there. The rest will be my ususal combination of rotary and painting motions.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

I lather away with my lips pinched and then swipe my index finger across my lips and shave away.
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

' You know how to shave, don't you Steve? You just put your lips together and blow.'Apologies to Betty Bacall
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Dave I use a precision application which is easier with bowl lathering.
Regards,
Squire
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

bowl, mug, or scuttles rule in my book to make perfect lather every time

marc