Shaving Advice

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
tommy_boi

Shaving Advice

Post by tommy_boi »

It seems my skin just wont allow me to have a normal shave with a normal blade, when i shave i get little whitehead spots and breakout bad all over my face and neck, i also itch really bad, i have tried depilatory cream and that stopped all the breakouts and spots but it burnt my skin and made it really bad, i think i had chemical burn, does anyone else have any tips for me to try, i've been trying for years to get a shave without all these things happening once i do shave, and still i've had no success
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

First, no chemicals and no shaving for at least three days, or until your skin is completely healed if it takes longer.

It sounds like when you shave you are trying too hard or using poor products. Good products don't have to be expensive, and you can succeed at this unless you have a medical skin problem.

What have you tried that got you the breakouts? List your whole routine starting with washing your face (or taking a shower) and ending with leaving the house - what equipment and products did you use? (What brands of soap, what razor, what brand of blades, anything else you use.)
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I would agree with the notion of "trying too hard" - if you're trying to shave too close or too aggressively you can end up with the irritation you describe. Let the face heal and just take it slowly!
Last edited by Blue As A Jewel on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi tommy_boi -

Good answer from David/notthesharpest (as usual).

I agree that we would need to know what you have already tried and what the results were, in order to offer any new suggestions.

Hopefully, we'll get it sorted out.

- Murray
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Hi Tommy, long time no type.

Still no improvement, eh?

Do you HAVE to be clean shaven? Some people just can't shave. If you can find a bumpfighter razor -- little disposable blade razors with guards on them -- I'd try those (after you let your skin heal).

If that doesn't work, I'd do what my African American buds do -- get to a beauty store and talk to them about clippers. You can get clippers fine enough to make you look fairly clean -- that might be your final option.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
jbc

Post by jbc »

Sounds like he is having a reaction to the products that he is using. The solution, as it has been said already, depends on the details. What does he mean by a "normal" blade? What specific brand name of blade is he using? He is most like referring to a cartridge blade, in which case he might be having a reaction to the lube strip. I have used many different herbs in my medicine cabinet and may docotors have told me that not all herbs agree with all people. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Proctor and Gamble uses Aloe as the lube strip in which case he might be having a reaction to the aloe. Experience has taught me that this happens on ocasion. If this is the case what he needs is a blade that has no aloe at all, in which case he has three options: 1) An Atra or Trac II cartridge (not the plus but he original Atra or Trac II); or 2) a safety blade; or 3) a straight razor. Since the original Atra and Trac II blades no longer exist he has two options.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Your problems could be raised by a myriad of things from improper preparation, to bad technique, to lack of patience, to product reactions. You have had plenty of good advice so far. I would add that you need to be patient, and take a few days off to let your face heal. Perhaps try a few days with only a couple of passes. Do you happen to have a Gillette Tech razor? They are notoriously gentle, and tend to be my suggestion for first-timers or gents who are having difficulty with their chosen tools.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Gentlemen, let me see if I remember Tommy correctly.

Tommy is in the UK, and while he normally wears a beard, he has been trying shaving, off and on, since his skin tends to get irritated. Now, it appears that the shave itself is irritating his skin.

He's tried Bics, I think he may have tried the bump fighters, if they were available over there, and was currently using a DE. He has also tried a wide-range of products, from oils and gels to soaps and creams and even hair conditioner. And I think we've been trying to help him for a couple of years, now...

How'd I do, Tommy?
Jack

tommy_boi

Post by tommy_boi »

Yeah you did pretty good fella, i will say, i've tried bic razors, i've tried the bump fighter razor, i've tried shaving after a shower and in the shower, i've tried the gillette fusion razor, i've tried hair conditioner to shave with, i've tried all different applications to shave with, from gels to foams, what more could i try?.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

tommy_boi wrote:Yeah you did pretty good fella, i will say, i've tried bic razors, i've tried the bump fighter razor, i've tried shaving after a shower and in the shower, i've tried the gillette fusion razor, i've tried hair conditioner to shave with, i've tried all different applications to shave with, from gels to foams, what more could i try?.
You could try (if you didn't already) an old-school double-edge razor and a traditional shaving cream or soap.

I tried Bic razors after learning to use a double edge. I disliked the Bic because it shaved rough and dull compared to the DE. I haven't tried Bump Fighter.

The big weak point with both the Bic and the Bump Fighter is that because they're built to be safe, they can encourage you to press hard. And if you press hard, with any razor, then guess what comes next? Raw skin and breakouts.

Shaving with a blade is always after the shower. Electric shaving or electric clipper is before the shower. (With a blade you want the hair soaked till it's soft and floppy; with an electric you want the hair to be stiff so it will poke past the foil & not get missed.)

Do you get ingrown hairs a lot?
tommy_boi

Post by tommy_boi »

I am not sure i have tried a double edge razor, actually i have just looked up a picture of the double edge razor and i have tried it, my dad mentioned to try one of those and i bought one and did, there was an improvement like with the bump fighter razor but still i had problems, i do get ingrown hairs too, i kinda have a bad deal when it comes to shaving, i think i do all the right things, i dont press too hard when shaving, and always shave after a shower, well i do now, i never used to.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

After being reminded of your shaving history - Maybe keeping it neat with a clipper really is the best option for you, and/or growing some type of beard. If shaving is going to be a disaster for your skin, then it might be better to stop (as they say) "beating your head against the wall" and move on. Ingrown hairs, infections, and so on, are just not worth it. If you aren't in a job that requires you to shave every day, that is.
tommy_boi

Post by tommy_boi »

No i'm not in a job that requires me to shave, which is good i guess, even if i was, i'm sure a close electric shave will do the job, i guess you are right though, i can keep on and on and on with this but going through the disaster once i've shaved is just no laugh, so it seems just using my regular beard trimmer is the way forward, like i said before the only thing that has come close to working is the depilatory cream, with that, i had no breakouts and no ingrown hairs, but it caused chemical burn and the smell from the cream was just horrible, but a decent shave.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Even with the electric, never try to get a close shave. They can give you some nasty irritation as well. (from experience.)

The chemical route just makes me gag, but for you whatever works.
tommy_boi

Post by tommy_boi »

It seems nothing works for me, i think i should just stick to my beard trimmer, which works perfectly without no problems to my skin, unless someone else comes up with something on these boards for me to try.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

tommy_boi wrote:It seems nothing works for me, i think i should just stick to my beard trimmer, which works perfectly without no problems to my skin, unless someone else comes up with something on these boards for me to try.
There are other possible razors you would be able to try, and perhaps learning to make really good shaving lather; but from the sound of things so far - well, maybe it would be better to just skip it. Healthy skin has to be the main focus.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Umm...well, I remember those prior posts also, as well as some similiar ones from another chap farther back. Your situation certainly does seem highly problematic and I can appreciate your frustration. See, the problem is that none of us REALLY know what you're doing....how you're shaving. There may be technique shortcomings that I ( or others here ) could spot easily, IF we were there in person but trying to 'diagnose' such stuff via the written word is very difficult. So, if you're okay going the clipper route than maybe that's for the best.

I have one final suggestion however, although it may not be practical, doable, or appealing. If you can get into London, and if you have the cash, it might be worthwhile to take the private straight razor leasons offered by Geo. Trumpers. Because they are heavier, thicker, and not quite as sharp, traditional straights are the least likely of all razors to cause bumps and such like. Personally I didn't get along with them but that was primarily because I'm so used to DEs. At Trumpers, at least you'd find out for certain how to make a really good lather and how to use the straight properly so, at least there would be no question of "am I doing this right?". And, as I say, real straights ( NOT those disposible blade numbers ) are the least likely to cause skin issues....and most who get into using them regularly find them very rewarding experientially. Granted, this suggestion, if followed, would not be inexpensive, but I thought I'd make it anyway. Best of luck which ever way you wind up going.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Tommy. In the past, when I've had problems (minor compared to yours evidently, from what I've read) I have been quite successful by avoiding anything after the shave, and wiping my face with a cloth doused in regular rubbing alcohol, particularly the problem areas, immediately after the shave and a couple of times during the day. It removes the oil and dirt, keeps bacteria down, and helps keep the skin dry. This means there isn't anything on the skin that will contribute to the problems. I'd recommend trying it a couple of days, shaving normally also, and if it works, then you've made progress, if it doesn't, then you've lost nothing. Good luck!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
tommy_boi

Post by tommy_boi »

I'm back again, seems like i just cant give up on wet shaving, i did try shaving again recently and have come out with the same problems again, i bought some of the gillette fusion hydra gel sensitive to shave with thinking that would help with my problem but it hasn't, shaved and two days later my skin appears to have little whiteheads and the same old problems, my dad even got me a new razor which i thought i'd use, still the same problems, i'm thinking of trying this medicated shave stuff, has anyone used it?.

http://www.multipharmacy.com/shop/custo ... 11558.html
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

You might try it, Tommy, except be warned that the stuff works by numbing the skin.

You, my friend, are an extreme case. Have you tried glycerin underneath lather, or even a few drops of olive oil on your skin, first? The only other product I can think of recommending would be using a povidone-iodine solution in the shower. If those bumps are little infections, this will clear them up, no doubt about it.

Short of that, how dark is your complexion? I have a coworker who is African American and shaves daily with a clipper. Now, before you roll your eyes, you can get very, very fine blades for them, if you go to a barber supply store and discuss it with them.
Jack