Does rinsing a blade in hot water dull the blade quicker?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Dexter99

Does rinsing a blade in hot water dull the blade quicker?

Post by Dexter99 »

I've heard that rinsing the razor in hot water dulls the blade quicker. I first heard this from a WW2 vet when he was in his 80's. Was he correct, or is he suffering from senility?

He told me the secret to keeping a razor sharp was to rinse/shake it it in cold water...

Just wondering if this is true or not, as I usually shake it in hot water.
Merkur Futur
Merkur Dovo Silvertip Brush
Proaso Shaving Cream
Feather/Super Iridium Blades
CO Bigelow Peppermint Cream
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Heat will obviously distort metal. How much in a fixed head under tension is debatable. I don't knock myself out over having hot lather and one could even debate if a limp,cooked spaghetti beard is easier or more difficult to cut than a staight timber stand.I rinse in hot water for a quick sanitizing. Any warpage will disappear as it cools.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

postscript: I know a LOT of 20 something guys already locked into behaviours based on urban folklore unchecked by MYTHBUSTERS ( and they've been wrong on a few) SCOPES and the Sceptics Society. He probably was told that as a 18 something soldier along with tested info like keeping his helmet unbuckled.
I wonder what OCCAM uses for aftershave?
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i have been rinsing my razors and blades in hot water for years and as long you dry the razor and blade you will not dull the blade

understanding we are talking about a stainless steel blade.. if the blade was left set to dry then that could induce corrision and dull your blade

the amount of heat, water would have to get to ..to begin to change the blade or dull it is so much hotter than any tap water even at its hottest point.

so rinse as you like and dry it well (across a towel..maybe blow air across the edge) and shave away

marc
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

A man who's now in his 80's was also around during the 1930's.

For many people during the 30's, it was necessary to try anything to save money. Some of the money-saving schemes worked, others didn't. Once in a while, people will believe something works even though it never did.

I always rinse in hot water because I think it will clean the blade better and evaporate more quickly. That may also be superstitious.

Did the man suggest a cold-water final rinse after a warm-water shave, or did he suggest that only cold water touch the blade at all times?
Dexter99

Post by Dexter99 »

The guy told me this back in the late 80's when I was 13, but I still remember it.
I seem to recall him saying to always rinse it in cold water, because it sharpens the blade. I didn't actually believe that, but thought that cold water might keep it sharper.

As for drying the blade - I don;t really do that. after the final rinse, I shake it well, and sometimes blow on it a bit.

To the guys saying to dry the blade - for a DE blade - do you take it out and physically dry it after each shave?
Merkur Futur
Proaso Shaving Cream
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I shake mine dry. I have no idea if that's good or bad.

Some blade manufacturers print warnings to not wipe the blade. I assume that's to prevent damage to the coatings.
KAV

Post by KAV »

Coatings are electroplated and as such often close to molecular thickness. A woven towel is actually very abrasive. Very hot water will indeed evaporate without harm. It was in fact an early cleaning regimen for blackpowder firearms with pumps to clean the highly corrosive and moisture attracting residue with boiling water. It is still a expedient cleaning method and a few swings of the rifle enough to centrifuge any remaining drops out.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

That makes sense. Tomorrow, I'll swing a boiled rifle after I've finished shaving, to get out the last few drops of water.

Not sure where I'm going to be able to get a rifle on a Sunday night though... :lol:
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Dexter,

I'm no expert but regardless of what blade you are using it will inevitably dull. As you shave the edge is microscopically "bending" hence stropping is essential before and after the shave to return the edge to its original bevel. Once stropping no longer helps then it is time for session with hones.

Rolls Razor manual for instance suggest to rinse the wedge into hot water after the shave:

"To dry blade...

after shaving, rinse blade in hot water. Remove blade from shaving handle...."

Even with straights it is encouraged to dip the blade into hot water after every pass.
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Dexter99 wrote:The guy told me this back in the late 80's when I was 13, but I still remember it.
I seem to recall him saying to always rinse it in cold water, because it sharpens the blade. I didn't actually believe that, but thought that cold water might keep it sharper.

As for drying the blade - I don;t really do that. after the final rinse, I shake it well, and sometimes blow on it a bit.

To the guys saying to dry the blade - for a DE blade - do you take it out and physically dry it after each shave?
Don't know about DEs as I've no experience with them.

From another perspective, if you were using belt sander for a razor you generally dip it in ice cold water but not for extended period for you can damage the blade's temper.

Restoration video by Brad

Another with grinder
KAV

Post by KAV »

I have a Ross rifle I can repatriate. Attach your razor to the bayonet lug and something will actually work on it :roll:
( it's not all that bad as a target rifle)
Dexter99

Post by Dexter99 »

Yeah - I strictly use DE blades, so I guess just shaking it is sufficient.
Merkur Futur
Proaso Shaving Cream
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dexter, The short answer to your question is 'no'. And for 45+ years of DE shaving just flicking the razor/blade dry has been sufficent.
Regards,
Gordon
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i never remove the blade ...rince well..a little shake and blow air across the blade edge.. use a towel to dry the actual razor and handle and use the towel as a strop to make sure the blade edge is dry...

as for what sired8 says about the rolls razor instructions..i have many of them and know them quite well...the rolls blade is a straight razor blade just shorter ..so its very different than a de blade...
another thing rolls tells you to remove the blade from the handle to clean it...also you have to to that anyway to store the blade in its case...the blade needs stroping at least before shaving every time

marc
Bay Run

Post by Bay Run »

I think the minerals in the water contribute to the problem. I rinse in cold water and then dip the razor in alcohol
The Groom Room

Post by The Groom Room »

Here's a little science lesson. I once heard that rinsing a razor between strokes is better for the edge of the razor blade. Why? Because metal expandes when it's been heated, and therefore the edge of the blade nicks easier, and will roughen quicker. When rinsing the blade in COLD water, the edge of the blade doesn't expand, it contracts. This results in a smoother razor blade edge throughout the shave. It's more difficut to nick hard metal than it is to nick soft metal.

I tested this 'expansion/contraction' theory a few years ago. 30 days with rinsing the razor in hot water between strokes, and 30 days rinsing the razor with cold water between strokes. Test results: The cold water rinse used 8 less blades than when rinsing with hot water. Also, the razor glided over my face smoother, when using the cold water rinses. The cold water rinsing yielded better blade smoothness, and blade disposal was lowered.
- Troy

"Look better, feel better... THINK BETTER."
The Groom Room
www.TheGroom-Room.com
druphus

Post by druphus »

I prefer a warm razor and will sacrifice blade longevity for it. No way am I going to shave with a cold razor unless I don't have access to hot water!
Regards,
Andy
Gene

Post by Gene »

notthesharpest wrote:I shake mine dry. I have no idea if that's good or bad.

Some blade manufacturers print warnings to not wipe the blade. I assume that's to prevent damage to the coatings.
I always figured that was to keep the duller witted amongst us from trying to dry the blade by wiping it ALONG the edge instead of across it.

Hand stropping is wiping, you know.

I rinse my razor in running water. It is lukewarm, as I am about to rinse my face to remove the last of the lather, before a cold water rinse. Never noticed any blade issues.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Re: Does rinsing a blade in hot water dull the blade quicker

Post by Racso_MS »

Dexter99 wrote:I've heard that rinsing the razor in hot water dulls the blade quicker. I first heard this from a WW2 vet when he was in his 80's. Was he correct, or is he suffering from senility?

He told me the secret to keeping a razor sharp was to rinse/shake it it in cold water...

Just wondering if this is true or not, as I usually shake it in hot water.
The answer is No, hot water does not dull the blade. Shaving with the blade does a fine job right by itself. And the 80 Y/O WWII vet is not senile. He's probably suffering from rumor control like many do.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...