Greetings - New shaver here

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
WbyMkV

Greetings - New shaver here

Post by WbyMkV »

Good afternoon all. I just wanted to announce my presence and express my appreciation in finding this great resource.

I had my first real wet shave yesterday. It took me about 30 minutes really but after reading the experiences of others here, I wouldn't suspect that this was all too long. No nicks or cuts but obviously, some areas weren't as close as I would like them to be. That will all come in time I am sure.

I am using a Dovo Black Star razor, a Vulfix super badger brush, and Proraso cream. These were all birthday gifts. I turned 40 recently. :D
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome to the Forum!
Regards,
Andy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Welcome aboard Weatherby.
Regards,
Squire
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Welcome!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
giammi

Post by giammi »

Welcome to SMF
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Welcome to SMF - when I first started with a DE it took me about 45 min. - this time has been significantly reduced now, although I've also started with a traditional straight recently and am back up to about 45 min on that - so you've done very well!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

HI!, I'm a 98mauser 9.3x62 kind of guy. But diversity is part of the fun here.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

hi and welcome

first wet shave ...at 40 years old ,,,,that is cool..plus with a straight
thats cool and brave ...and in that time frame...cool ,,very brave and amazing

marc
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Welcome!

The fact that you got a comfortable shave, only with some areas partially missed, means you are on the right track for sure. Areas of missed stubble are mainly solved by some patient practice, which of course was going to be your next step anyway.

Have fun!
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Welcome aboard!
Good shaving,

Gary
WbyMkV

Post by WbyMkV »

Thanks all for the welcomes.

Yes, I have been shaving with electrics my whole life. Started with a Norelco in the 80's, then wore out a Remington in short order, and now I have a Braun 6520 that has done me well for probably 16 years.

I've always wanted to try the straight blade after finding a couple of straight razors in my dad's closet many years back. They belonged to my great grandfather. Dad had no clue how to use them.

I got real interested about 3 months ago after seeing a video on the internet that was a sort of homemade tutorial. There are quite a few up as I am sure you all know. But with those to follow, I was able to find enough information to hook me and make me just brave enough to try it. Like I said, I did it, sort of. I haven't tried again yet because my strop doesn't get here until Monday and it needs to be stropped I am sure. It is enjoyable. Very therapeutic for sure.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good move Wb, I'll bet a lot of shavers pick up Grandfathers open razor and wish they knew how to use it.
Regards,
Squire
jbc

Post by jbc »

Gee, I didn't know that Dovo made double edges. At least I think that you are using a dovo double edge. I use a straight off and on, wish I have had a lot more sucess with it than I have had. Its a 7/8th inch stainless steel. Perhaps you should post on the straight users subforum here.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Weldome to SMF.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
WbyMkV

Post by WbyMkV »

jbc wrote:Gee, I didn't know that Dovo made double edges. At least I think that you are using a dovo double edge. I use a straight off and on, wish I have had a lot more sucess with it than I have had. Its a 7/8th inch stainless steel. Perhaps you should post on the straight users subforum here.
My apologies. I guess I wasn't clear on the purpose of this particular forum as being for "double edge" topics only. My DOVO is not a double edge, but a straight. I'll try to be mindful of these things in the future.

Dear moderator, if you would be so kind as to move this thread to the appropriate forum, I would appreciate it.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Come often and stay long. :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
brothers

Post by brothers »

WbyMkV wrote:
jbc wrote:Gee, I didn't know that Dovo made double edges. At least I think that you are using a dovo double edge. I use a straight off and on, wish I have had a lot more sucess with it than I have had. Its a 7/8th inch stainless steel. Perhaps you should post on the straight users subforum here.
My apologies. I guess I wasn't clear on the purpose of this particular forum as being for "double edge" topics only. My DOVO is not a double edge, but a straight. I'll try to be mindful of these things in the future.

Dear moderator, if you would be so kind as to move this thread to the appropriate forum, I would appreciate it.
Hold on Weatherby! Unless they changed the rules this morning, this forum is as much for the straights as the double edges, the single edge, and whatever else you might be using, including some guys who like the cartridges. No apologies needed! The straight razor is a fine shaving tool that happens to involve a bit more in terms of equipment, maintenance, and development of an effective shaving technique. The mods aren't going to move this post. It's about your introduction to wetshaving. As you will see, there are individual forums for discussion of the safety razors as well as the straight razors. It's great to have you here, and I hope you continue to post and participate as often as the mood strikes you.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I don't know if this thread has been moved or something, but it seems to me to be quite appropriate where it is now.

There is a separate area you may use if you want to get specifically into double-edge razors, and another separate area you may use if the topic you want to discuss is relevant only to straight razors; but the main sections like this one, and the board as a whole, are for shaving, period - not limited to one kind or another. We don't get a lot of discussion about electric razors, but it wouldn't be wrong if we did. Scratchy and uncomfortable, but not wrong. :lol:
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome to SMF!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF!

That sounds like an excellent first shave, most especially with a straight razor!

- Murray