I Love Alum

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
bordeaaj

Post by bordeaaj »

jww wrote:Remember that with alum you must rinse well after using it. Best to let is sit on your skin for a minute or two while you clean up, whatever, then rinse really, really well. You shouldn't have the prickly feeling if you have rinsed well. If you do rinse and still have problems, then it's likely a reaction. I know that I can use alum on my face without problem, but can't use it under my arms at all because of the stinging and some issues with rashes. Go figure -- I am not a dermatologist, so have no idea why this is, but it matters not -- alum still works fine for my shaving.
I agree...rinsing a minute or so after using alum is best. I see a lot of posts where people who don't rinse well get some irritation after a few days.
Last edited by bordeaaj on Mon May 23, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MARKHOLLADAY

Post by MARKHOLLADAY »

I love my alum block also it really does make my face feel better than using an alcohol based after shave alone.
MikekiM

Post by MikekiM »

The two most significant changes I have done to my routine, aside from improving technique, are Alum & Witch Hazel. I use both with cold water rinses between and my shaves are far improved...
SmallTank

Re: I Love Alum

Post by SmallTank »

I avoid shaving then working out later in the same day..not worth the itching n redness with sweating..lol

ST
mjcomeau wrote:I have been shaving with a safety razor for about 60 days and absolutely loving it. Some days the shave is better than others, but the razor burn always persists. I have been using an alcohol based after shave, but later in the day when I went to work out, my face would burn. I just got my alum stone and used it for the first time yesterday after I shaved. WOW!!!! I love the way it made my face feel, no razor burn, and no burn when working out! I am hooked now!

Matt