Rinse or no

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
rideaduc

Rinse or no

Post by rideaduc »

Gents....apologies in advance for a real basic question but I'm a real beginner....shave 5 this morning and loving it.

Anyway, I've been doing 4 passes...I have been rinsing with hot water between passes as I've read on this forum somewhere that is the thing to do....my question is that should I dry the face on the towel before I lather up again as it seems to dilute the lather or should I leave it wet and just pass the lather on top.

Again, sorry about the basicness( is that a word...it is now) of the question.
Whether success or failure if you live in the past you'll die in the past.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

A quick rinse between passes would be perfectly fine but I wouldn't completely rinse the face and dry it with a towel. I find that a quick splash of water between passes sets up a nice slick layer with the residual lather that is left on the face. Secondly the water helps to refresh the lather that is already in the brush.

Experiment a little to find what works but in the early stages of learning to wet shave it's best to keep a focus on the basics. Once you get the basics down and consistent results feel free to have at it!
Good shaving,

Gary
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey duc, welcome aboard. Four passes seems a bit much as 2-3 work just as well for me and others. How is your face holding up?
Regards,
Squire
rideaduc

Post by rideaduc »

My face seems fine....a couple of nicks but no burn...I have to do 4 passes as I think that my shaving angle consistency needs some work. In some cases I think that the angle is either so steep or so small that the razor part is not actually cutting if that makes sense. I have to do 4 to get nice and close. Still not BBS but really close.

Also, I do shave every day....
Whether success or failure if you live in the past you'll die in the past.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

+1 to rinsing between passes but not towel drying your face -- it counters the hydration effects of rinsing.

BBS is a somewhat mystical thing. It is a common error for newbies to strive for BBS right away. The general thought, however, is that you work on your technique before you worry about BBS results. It's quite a skill to develop, and takes time. Most of us tooks weeks or even months before we felt we were there with our technique.

As Squire notes, 4 passes does seem excessive -- I would think that even the thickest beard shouldn't need more than 3 passes. But -- you know your face better than we do -- ymmv.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Rinsing or not rinsing between passes is kind of optional. I always rinse because the lather that's in my brush needs the extra water. If your lather was already on the wet side you might find that no rinse worked better. Try both, and do whichever one improves your shave. I agree that just a splash of water is often good enough for the between-passes "rinse", and that not cleaning off every particle of lather can actually be an advantage.

I think drying between passes could make your shave worse, and could not make it better in any way - so drying between passes is at best a waste of your time. I'd say leave drying for only the very end.

Four passes is definitely a lot.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

yea rinse and dont dry between passes

you should try working on your technique so you can eliminate the 4th pass..probably your 4th pass is more on the touch-up side of things, i would hope any way

depending on your razor and some what on your blade..you want to get the blade angle as close as you can to your face or skin

its easy to find this angle..lay the razors head to your face and angle down
till you can feel the blade start to touch your beard...

in a short time you'll be able to shave all over with this angle.

its called muscle memory.......

when this technique starts working for you..most likely 3 passes will be all you need... keep in mind many members here do passes only

marc
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I used to rinse after the first pass, however, I no longer do that. After the first pass, I just lather back up again and go for my second and usually last pass. This is a YMMV thing, I believe. :D

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I normally don't rinse between passes. My lather gets a little thicker as it sits - so after each pass it provides an increasing cushion. I haven't had any issues with lubrication with this approach either...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
95%

Post by 95% »

Four passes seem necessary for me, but that's for two reasons. First, my razor is a Fusion, which despite its five blades is not as effective a cutting tool as a traditional razor. (If used correctly it's safer and milder though, which is why I like it.) Second, I take care not to "clean up" or re-shave any part of the beard until I lather up for the next pass. This is to avoid any irritation that might result from shaving bare skin.

I always rinse quickly with warm water between passes. It rehydrates the face. While some men prefer a dryer lather, I do best with plenty of water.
Porter
brothers

Post by brothers »

Chaps wrote:I used to rinse after the first pass, however, I no longer do that. After the first pass, I just lather back up again and go for my second and usually last pass. This is a YMMV thing, I believe. :D

Danny
My response exactly. 2 passes, no rinse. I'm not saying any other way is wrong or right, this is just where I'm at right now in what works for me.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
paddy

Post by paddy »

rinse between passes and leave the face wet for the next lather. t'is wet shaving after all.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
merkri

Post by merkri »

Rinse? I would say I often wet my face between passes, but whether or not that's a "rinse" is debatable. For me, it's all about keeping the lather wet enough to give glide.
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

merkri wrote:Rinse? I would say I often wet my face between passes, but whether or not that's a "rinse" is debatable. For me, it's all about keeping the lather wet enough to give glide.
Agree. I don't rinse in the sense of washing but to apply some more water to my face. By the third pass, the lather on the brush in the warm scuttle has thickened a bit so this helps.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Welcome. The only 'dumb question' is the unasked one. Personally, I always splash a bit more hot water on my face for each pass and then just lather up.
Regards,
Gordon
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I think I would advocate a decent rinse between passes - I tend to make sure I clear away any little spots of soap that I've pushed around and like to make sure any hair that didn't stick to the blade is gone, too, so as to not interfere with subsequent passes. Plus, agree with an above poster that the added water on your face from the rinse can help the relathering process.
Regards,
Mike
druphus

Post by druphus »

I like to mix my lather on the dryer side, and rince after every pass. If I get a lather that is more wet I will forego a rinse if necessary.

I rinse with "Hot" water until the final "cold" rinse.
Regards,
Andy
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

I have been experimenting a bit. I get a closer shave when I wet my face between passes than when I don't. Definitely fewer touch-up passes needed.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)