Too much product?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
rideaduc

Too much product?

Post by rideaduc »

Ok...again real new to this and loving the wet shaving experience...here's my question am I putting too much "stuff" on my face. Here's a summary of the products:

1. Soap--to wash face
2. Cream--to make lather
3. Cold water--to rinse
4. Stypic pen--to staunch bleeding
5. Toner--to tone
6. Aftershave--alcohol based
7. Skin Food--to seal the deal
8. Sunscreen--to prevent aging
9. Gold bond powder--to keep my face from being shiny
10. Cologne--so I smell good.

With 10 different things going on my face my question is it too much? Or have I become a woman?
Whether success or failure if you live in the past you'll die in the past.
function

Post by function »

You can probably get away with losing a couple, but that depends on personal preference.

Certain ones don't count

The Styptic pen you will put down soon enough with experience, I have only used mine 3 times in 7 months.

Toner and aftershave? I think they may be doing the same thing.

Skin food and sunscreen? Both are generally a moisturizing product, and while Skin Food smells pretty and feels great, maybe you should look into a facial moisturizer with spf built in, personally I use an Olay product.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

I think you could streamline a little in numbers 5 - 8, seems just a little overkill but if it is working and feels okay just adjust accordingly.

It's entirely up to you, customize your routine to suit your own needs, everyone's results will vary so it's best to experiment and find a routine that works best for you.
Good shaving,

Gary
Blue As A Jewel

Re: Too much product?

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

rideaduc wrote:Ok...again real new to this and loving the wet shaving experience...here's my question am I putting too much "stuff" on my face. Here's a summary of the products:

1. Soap--to wash face
2. Cream--to make lather
3. Cold water--to rinse
4. Stypic pen--to staunch bleeding
5. Toner--to tone
6. Aftershave--alcohol based
7. Skin Food--to seal the deal
8. Sunscreen--to prevent aging
9. Gold bond powder--to keep my face from being shiny
10. Cologne--so I smell good.

With 10 different things going on my face my question is it too much? Or have I become a woman?
1. I'm not sure about this one - I guess it depends on the soap - sometimes it can strip away to much natural oil. I was using Musgo Lime Soap as a shave prep - but found my blade tended to skip...
2. Yep
3. Yep or warm depending on preference
4. As indicated this will drop off as technique improves
5. Yep - again optional - depending on alcohol content can be drying
6. Yep
7. Yep - I apply it 15-30 minutes after - once everthing else has had a chance settle in
8. How much are you out in the sun? If you're out a lot then yes otherwise I would substitute with a good matte finish moisturizer - again depending on weather this perhaps could be skipped in warmer temps. Or perhaps just smile and laugh a lot - create some laugh lines - women like laugh lines :lol:
9. Now you're a woman - is your face shiny because you've over stripped the natural oils? Also, the use of a sunscreen can give the appearance of shine
10. Absolutely yes - but not on your face!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Styptic obviously should become obsolete pretty soon.

Toner, aftershave, skin food: choose any one of the three. Could be different on different days.

"Toning" is a dubious verb. What does it really do? My own answer: just another type of aftershave. The truth: I'm not sure.

Gold Bond:
- may have unnecessary medication and scent. Could substitute something with fewer ingredients. Plain talc is one possibility.
- May not be necessary every time.

I have been using Ombrelle SPF 30 sunscreen this year. To me, it seems not very shiny. Maybe you could use a less-shiny sunscreen and get away without any powder.

Cologne: If using scented aftershave, then cologne is not necessary. If your aftershave has very light or no scent, then use cologne if desired. Note: others notice scents more than the wearer does, so use less than you think.

Your only way with these products of "becoming a woman" is to use too much scent. Stay conservative on the smells and you're fine.
IanM

Post by IanM »

rideaduc wrote:8. Sunscreen--to prevent aging
It doesn't stop aging, it helps to make you look like your're not aging quite as quickly.

Your face will look 21, but your knees will still be 50 :lol:

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

Yep. Turn in your man card. You're becoming a woman.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Tye wrote:Yep. Turn in your man card. You're becoming a woman.

-Tye
Tye - you kill me!

:lol:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I caught a bit of a talk show yesterday---with three men dressed as women yelling a lot, at least I think Ross E. O'Donnell was :? . They had a dermatologist on who said it is actually beneficial to rotate products every 4-6 weeks. It allows the different goodies to do their thing without overdoing it.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

KAV wrote:I caught a bit of a talk show yesterday---with three men dressed as women yelling a lot, at least I think Ross E. O'Donnell was :? . They had a dermatologist on who said it is actually beneficial to rotate products every 4-6 weeks. It allows the different goodies to do their thing without overdoing it.
I spin my soap a quarter turn every day. Not sure about the benefits though. :wink:
Blue As A Jewel

notthesharpest wrote:
KAV wrote:I caught a bit of a talk show yesterday---with three men dressed as women yelling a lot, at least I think Ross E. O'Donnell was :? . They had a dermatologist on who said it is actually beneficial to rotate products every 4-6 weeks. It allows the different goodies to do their thing without overdoing it.
I spin my soap a quarter turn every day. Not sure about the benefits though. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
- Ravi -

Blue As A Jewel

KAV wrote:... They had a dermatologist on who said it is actually beneficial to rotate products every 4-6 weeks. It allows the different goodies to do their thing without overdoing it.
...brought to you by the Estee Lauder Corporation...
- Ravi -

rideaduc

Post by rideaduc »

notthesharpest wrote:
you guys are more helpful than I thought. :lol:
Whether success or failure if you live in the past you'll die in the past.
merkri

Post by merkri »

I say everything after 3 is unnecessary.

One of the things after 3 might be ok, but I think more than that and you are pushing it.

Just my opinion though.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

merkri wrote:I say everything after 3 is unnecessary.

One of the things after 3 might be ok, but I think more than that and you are pushing it.

Just my opinion though.
Well, depending where you are and what you do, sunscreen may be of vital importance, more important than a good shave even. :shock:

But I use only 1,2,3,(sometimes 7),(4 for emergency)
merkri

Post by merkri »

1. I'm not sure about this one - I guess it depends on the soap - sometimes it can strip away to much natural oil. I was using Musgo Lime Soap as a shave prep - but found my blade tended to skip...
I guess I was misreading things before; I would agree. My sense is that a good shaving soap or cream should act as just that: a soap of some sort. I'd think you'd be washing your face twice essentially.

If you had a thick beard or a certain skin type or something, I could see that, but I'm not sure it would always be necessary for everyone.

As for the sunscreen, yes definitely, I see the value in that. I could see why someone might use any sort of post-shave product really. For myself, if I were going to use one, I might find one that did double (or triple) duty. My skin just can't handle much other than warm lather followed by cold rinse.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Here's what I used today, just for an example--

CO Bigelow SC
Razor
Aqua Velva Menthol

Didn't "need" the AS, but just wanted to feel the alcohol/menthol sensations, and I like how it smells. I didn't use a brush, but I think JM Fraser's SC is better as a brushless than the CO Bigleow/Proraso. With the brush, the COB is unmatched. I just wanted to keep it simple again today.

Anyway, if you thilnk it's too much, then yes, it's too much. Follow your common sense. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your shave as much as I do. Just do what makes you feel good about it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

brothers wrote:Anyway, if you thilnk it's too much, then yes, it's too much.
This probably captures the whole of wetshaving and making your choice of product. If you feel it's too much, it is. If you feel like it's necessary, then go for it. If you just do not feel complete for the rest of the day without all of the above, then use them - you probably aren't deriving any real benefit from the additional products, but shaving is about what makes you comfortable.
Regards,
Mike
merkri

Post by merkri »

maskaggs wrote:
brothers wrote:Anyway, if you thilnk it's too much, then yes, it's too much.
This probably captures the whole of wetshaving and making your choice of product. If you feel it's too much, it is. If you feel like it's necessary, then go for it. If you just do not feel complete for the rest of the day without all of the above, then use them - you probably aren't deriving any real benefit from the additional products, but shaving is about what makes you comfortable.
Both of the above are very true.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I was once asked if I rotated my 3 pair of dress shoes. I was 'boxing the compass' for a month before I realised what they meant.
As for '3s' anthropological papers keep popping up about this number's universal dominance in disparate cultures. I dismissed the theory when I noticed the papers came in clusters of 3.
This 'if you think it's to much; it is' is to Zen for me. First impressions are often very spot on. Then again, the number of ladies who caused my eyes to dilate, breathing grow shallow and other antidiluvian subconscious appraisals of hip width, child rearing and preparing mastadon hide abilities all to often failed miserably.