Sensitive Skin Shaver

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Oh. I don't know Toronto well at all, but if it's close to you there's a shaving goods store in Missisauga called Fendrihan. They carry shaving cream, brushes, razors, and so on, including everything that was recommended to you by jpq5. Shoppers Drug Mart has Omega shaving brushes that are pretty good but they are all boar bristle; they also carry Proraso shaving cream which is decent stuff but has a lot of menthol which you might not want.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Welcome to the forum! You're getting good advice. You might also get some benefit out of looking at some of my other videos: take a look at the channel page.

--Mark
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF.

+1 on all the advise so far. This is a talent that you will develop over time -- and it takes time to develop the talent.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Sensitive_Skin

Post by Sensitive_Skin »

Had another go at it. Sideburns, cheeks, moustache and chin went fine but neck was bloody and irritated once again. I've never had any irritation shaving once a week and in the shower with a Mach 3 Fusion blade going against the grain but it's the inconvenience of having to wait an entire week to shave that makes me want to try shaving closer to every day or every other day.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Sensitive_Skin wrote:Had another go at it. Sideburns, cheeks, moustache and chin went fine but neck was bloody and irritated once again. I've never had any irritation shaving once a week and in the shower with a Mach 3 Fusion blade going against the grain but it's the inconvenience of having to wait an entire week to shave that makes me want to try shaving closer to every day or every other day.
What shaving cream are you using right now?
Sensitive_Skin

Post by Sensitive_Skin »

[/quote]What shaving cream are you using right now?[/quote]

Nivea Sensitive Skin Shaving Cream. Before that I used Edge shaving cream, which didn't feel very nice.

Really, the problem is my neck since the hair grows sideways. Even if I shave with the grain I still cut myself. This is after doing a very thorough prep and making sure I shave slowly.
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

One suggestion I'll give, Mr. Sensitive, is to soak your neck with a flannel on top of the shaving cream. Then count to 60...you'll probably have to reapply lather before you shave.

My guess is that part of the problem might be that your neck beard is considerably tougher than your facial hair. Give it a try...
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Sensitive_Skin wrote:
What shaving cream are you using right now?
Nivea Sensitive Skin Shaving Cream. Before that I used Edge shaving cream, which didn't feel very nice.

Really, the problem is my neck since the hair grows sideways. Even if I shave with the grain I still cut myself. This is after doing a very thorough prep and making sure I shave slowly.
You'll get it, don't worry. It takes practice, and sometimes a little improvising.

Because of the irregular shapes sometimes created in the area between the jaw and the neck, sometimes it helps to follow the contour of the face more closely, in a path that's only vaguely sideways-ish, and not worry too much whether it's with the grain or across it.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

David, I concur.
Regards,
Gordon
ralph

Post by ralph »

I get the exact same thing, I'm 23 and have been shaving for 10 years, have to wait a few days inbetween shaves to heal my neck

I've gone through all the advice on this great forum but still no avail.

I moved to DE shaving a few years ago and now use a merkur futur with merkur blades, pamolive green tube cream and a shavemac silvertip brush.

I don't think the problem is with my routine or technique, but the hair direction growth being parallel with my neck and in all directions results in many ingrowns every shave, I've also tried anthonys ingrown treatment and tend skin which didnt do anything. My beard is very course and curly.
Sensitive_Skin

Post by Sensitive_Skin »

Hi Ralph, I have the exact same problem. I've been using Bic blades for the last little while but my skin problem hasn't improved at all. I'm shaving slowly and with good technique and now with the grain but I'm still getting razor bumps, ingrown hairs and bleedings. I'm considering looking into a really top quality beard trimmer...Something that can get me as close to a clean shave as possible but without the irritation...Don't know if those exist!

I feel a bit too old to be bleeding every time I shave...It sure is frustrating.

With me, my neck hair is so flat to the skin that when I shave with the grain it doesn't even take the hair off, it just brushes over the skin and causes irritation. I also find that my skin gets dry incredibly quickly, even when using shaving cream...I'm considering switching to a really WET shaving oil...Something to help the blade glide a bit better.

I'd sure like to shave more often than once a week, though if I did the every day shave or even every two or three days, I'd bleed like crazy and get terrible irritation.
ralph

Post by ralph »

ya id settle with a trimmer, i've only used a hair clippers which doesnt get too close but I've they're a lot better then shavers.
I get the same hair parallel to my skin so shaving is difficult and often this leads to inevitable ingrowns.

I'm looking into lazer hair removal treatment on my neck as I have most of the products available. For 4-5 treatments it looks like it costs €1000 which isnt exactly recession friendly as I'm just finished University.

As for oil, I'm currently using oil and lather over it, feels good but also works well on its own, one of the reasons i tried was to see the hair growth direction at all times while shaving to try and always go with the grain.
Sensitive_Skin

Post by Sensitive_Skin »

After trying everything everyone here suggests I've decided to purchase a WAHL beard trimmer. It gets me 0.5mm of hair length and I have no irritation or bleeding.

For men with sensitive skin I urge you to try a good quality beard trimmer and go for the stubble look. Going to work with cuts, bumps and in grown hairs looks worse than having some stubble.

Avoid straight shaving at all costs.
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Glad you found something that worked!
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."