Irritation

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Irritation

Post by KAV »

I've now experienced major skin irritation from two soaps in my experiments. I read of others with 'sensitive skin' and products like D.R. Harris Rose AS and reports of lanolin allergy.
My protocol is to A. immediately cease and desist using the product. This may appear obvious but I know of people who 'soldier on' with products expecting some manner of familiarity or tolerance to develop.
B. Is a hop in the shower and LOTS of water. C. is my weakness. I can get severe skin reactions and use simple time, lots of water and Witch Hazel poultices.
I should probably get some Coral Skin Food.
For those who experienced bad reactions, what was your regimen to recuperate?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Cortisone cream if it's bad. Fortunately, I shifted and winnowed problem stuff out, for the most part, long ago and since I'm not inclined to further 'experiment' today, I'm usually on pretty safe ground.
Regards,
Gordon
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

it took me a while to learn the difference between a bad shave or a reaction to a soap/cream. if it's a reaction to a soap/cream i stop using it. for me, it seems the problem rests with the fragrance in the product.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Sorry Kav,

Never had a bad reaction from any soap/creme/AS Balm/or As/Razor/Blade combo/or witch hazel (brand immaterial).

I'm blessed.

Wish I could help. :cry:
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
merkri

Post by merkri »

There's been one soap I had a bad reaction to, although it was hard to tell if it was irritation from an ingredient or irritation from it leading to a bad shave--e.g., chemical or mechanically induced irritation.

I basically washed it off and let time take its course.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

My suggestion is to stop experimenting and stick with what works for you -- even if that means you can't do MWF. Yes, I actually said that. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?