Newbie poking aroung

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
cadfael_tex

Newbie poking aroung

Post by cadfael_tex »

Hi all, first post. Over the past several years I've gone back and forth between electric and cartridge. I'm currently using an electric rotary but it is several years old and think it's about worn out. I was doing a bit of research and came across this site. Wet shaving intrigues me but I have two concerns...

1. Time. Watched one of the videos and it had me wondering how long it takes for this process. Don't know how long I take now with the electric but it's not 10 or 20 minutes. 10 minutes wouldn't be too bad in my morning routine but I'm not sure about more than that. So how long does it take to do all this?

2. DE Razor. My only experience is looking at my grandfathers when I was a small child. These things kinda scare me to be frank. I had almost gotten over that when I saw one of the videos talking about how careful you have to be to keep the angle just right. So how difficult is it? Bright red indicates arterial flow right?

TIA and sorry if these have been covered before but got a little overwhelmed with the search results.

Tony
95%

Post by 95% »

Tony, welcome aboard. Let me say that you are free to modify your shaving routine in any way you want. If you've been generally happy with a cartridge razor, there is no rule in this forum that you must switch to a DE. I didn't, but I did adopt a brush and shaving soap in lieu of the canned gel I had used for many years. With that simple change, my shaves improved markedly. Just experiment, and ask specific questions whenever you like.

Ten minutes from the absolute beginning of your routine until the absolute end is pushing it a bit, but it can be done. Most of us here, I think it can be said, enjoy the process and allow a little more time than that.
Porter
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

Thanks 95%. I guess that was kind of what sort of the nascent idea brewing in my wee grey cells - slow progression. So would changing to a brush and shaving soap be a good first place to start?

Also, if I don't go DE quite yet - what would be a good cartridge?
95%

Post by 95% »

Tony, moving to a brush and shaving soap will make all the difference. You needn't spend much; you can find these two items at a Wal-mart or drug store for about $12. Later on, if your interest turns into a hobby, you can investigate more expensive brushes and soaps (or shaving creams) that will offer marginally better performance and a variety of fragrances.

I've used the Gillette Fusion razor for over 4 years, and I like the new Fusion ProGlide. The cartridges are very expensive, however, and many men here spend much less for DE blades with equally good results.
Porter
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

Looked around a bit at the local walmart looking for new razors of any description earlier and didn't see anything ditto with the local walgreens. Probably will order if for no other reason that I don't get far off post much. Looked at the online places on the main page. Money isn't too big a deal within reason. Will probably get a relatively inexpensive brush, a cream or soap (posted a question on that as well), and possibly a bowl to build up the later in. Suggestions for brands and vendor would be very welcome.
95%

Post by 95% »

The Vulfix 2234 was my first quality brush, and it's well regarded in the wetshaving community:

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/i ... 422187.htm

With little care it will last for many years, as will the other good brushes recommended in this forum.

While you're at Classic Shaving, consider the Trufitt & Hill and Taylor of Old Bond Street creams and soaps. The TOBS offerings are less expensive and do the job quite well.

As for a bowl, almost anything in your kitchen will do. You can spend money for a shaving scuttle or buy a self-watering African Violet pot at a garden center for $10, to keep the lather warm.
Porter
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome Tony. Take the time to shave with a DE razor - its worth it!
Regards,
Andy
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

A whole bunch of guys no better than you learned to swim, ride bikes, jump out of airplanes, quit jobs and a lot of things just as scary as shaving with a blade. :wink:
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

dude! you may not realize it but you are teetering on the brink. if you only knew how close you are to Shaving Aquisition Disorder! i can see it coming. one day you're sniffing around on this site and then BAM! you're hooked to the point that you can't wait to shave. you will try to shave twice a day. don't ask me how i know this! :roll:
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome to SMF, Tony!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
paddy

Post by paddy »

1. Time. Watched one of the videos and it had me wondering how long it takes for this process. Don't know how long I take now with the electric but it's not 10 or 20 minutes. 10 minutes wouldn't be too bad in my morning routine but I'm not sure about more than that. So how long does it take to do all this?

2. DE Razor. My only experience is looking at my grandfathers when I was a small child. These things kinda scare me to be frank. I had almost gotten over that when I saw one of the videos talking about how careful you have to be to keep the angle just right. So how difficult is it? Bright red indicates arterial flow right?
welcome to smf.

too much time? let me use this analogy - you can eat a big mac in McDs or you can sit down, take your time and have a 3 course meal in a michelin starred restaurant.

you can have a cup of instant coffee, or take a few more minutes, sit down and read the paper and make a proper cup of filter coffee. what sort of man are you? what do you want?

it's better to take your time.

if it were just concerned with the quickest time to get a passable shave we'd probably all be running electrics over our face for 2 mins and be out the door.

a good wet shave is worth the time investment and it's actually enjoyable. all the guys on here think like this.

your choice. it can take anything up to 20 mins, maybe even more if you're starting out. depends on how many passes you do etc. you make time for it and work it into your morning routine accordingly. it's worth it.

just buy an old gillette superspeed in reasonable shape and a pack of decent blades, a boar bursh and a puck of soap and jump right in. nothing to be scared of and there's plenty of advice and support here to help you on your way.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

paddy wrote:

welcome to smf.

too much time? let me use this analogy - you can eat a big mac in McDs or you can sit down, take your time and have a 3 course meal in a michelin starred restaurant.

you can have a cup of instant coffee, or take a few more minutes, sit down and read the paper and make a proper cup of filter coffee. what sort of man are you? what do you want?

it's better to take your time.

if it were just concerned with the quickest time to get a passable shave we'd probably all be running electrics over our face for 2 mins and be out the door.

a good wet shave is worth the time investment and it's actually enjoyable. all the guys on here think like this.

your choice. it can take anything up to 20 mins, maybe even more if you're starting out. depends on how many passes you do etc. you make time for it and work it into your morning routine accordingly. it's worth it.

just buy an old gillette superspeed in reasonable shape and a pack of decent blades, a boar bursh and a puck of soap and jump right in. nothing to be scared of and there's plenty of advice and support here to help you on your way.
Exactly! Well put. Tony, welcome to SMF! It will take you a little longer until you get the hang of it, but after that...well, its just up to you...take as long as you want or like has been said, be done with it in 10 minutes or so. That's about what it takes me now. Really, I don't think about it anymore. Just enjoy it.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, a decent wetshave with a DE razor certainly takes me longer than using an electric, but it doesn't take me any longer than if I used a multi-blade cartridge set-up. Exactly how long would depend on various factors; how many passes one did, if you hustled or took your sweet time, how practiced a hand one is, etc. I can do an entirely acceptable ( to society ) shave in five minutes. To do it the way that I like takes closer to fifteen with clean-up.

How hard is it? Well, that too depends. Using a DE razor optimally certainly takes a degree of skill...it is a learned art. But some gents pick it up pretty quickly. With others, it takes longer. Using classic Schick Injector razors, on the other hand, are a piece of cake. Anyone who can use a disposible can use them effectively, and for my money it's a far superior razor to any multie-blade cartridge.
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF.

You have had plenty of good advice so far. My suggestion is that you not get wound round the axle on how long it takes you to shave. You can't rush through a DE shave when you are learning, or you run the risk of never being able to properly develop your technique without injury.

Using a DE razor is not difficult, but does require a great deal of patience, and the willingness to invest time and effort into the cause of learning how to use it. Like the child who learns not to touch something hot from getting burned, you learn proper technique from consistent effort. Try to focus on only a few things at a time. When you actually have the razor in hand, the two things which matter most with that tool are pressure and blade angle. Focus on what is at hand. In other words - when you are preparing your lather, focus only on that -- don't be worrying about the razor. When you pick up the DE, focus on angle and pressure -- because by then, you are past fixing the lather on your face.

Small and simple steps get you there.

Oh - and one other thing -- forget about achieving BBS until you are comfortable with technique -- that will come in time as well. Best of luck. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
jbc

Post by jbc »

Well to answer your question I personally do not believe that a double edge takes any longer to shave with than a cartridge one does. I used a fusion, mach 3 and sensor excel before finding nervana with wet shaving and let me tell you the cartridges take just as long and once you get the nack of it you won't notice if the shave took any additional time at all.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

From one Tony to another, greetings and welcome!.

Jump on in the water's fine.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Welcome in, Tony.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Welcome, Tony!
Regards,
Mike
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

Thanks for all the welcome and advice. Gone back and forth a bit reading and rereading. Think I'm going to get some soap (about decided on the DR Harris) and some form of brush. I'm a little squeamish to spend the $60 bucks on the sure very fine brush mentioned below. Is there something a bit less than that anyone could recommend? For instance, I saw and like the price of the Vulfix 1000. I'll continue to research before I order and try to learn what the differences are but a nudge in the right direction wouldn't go askance.

Tony

BTW, got a fusion cartridge as an intermediate step along the way to DE.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Tony welcome aboard. Yes, you can get a decent shave in five minutes using one pass. Most of our members take longer because we use more than one pass and, frankly, like the shaving experience.
Regards,
Squire