Cream or Soap for me?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I hate to inject my non-traditional shaving into this thread, but I have had less trouble with my skin since I gave up water. That's right NO WATER. I now just rub 4 or 5 drops of shaving oil into my dry beard and follow with about a 2 inch thread of brushless (greasy) shave cream. I have used Alma hypoalergenic cream but now use Neutrogenia. I use a Fusion razor and if I stick to with the grain shaving I can wash the residue off my face with cold water and towel dry and don't need any lotions or balms. This works so well that it surprises me. I have a cabenet full of brushes soaps and creams and I am not tempted at all to go back after having my face bleed with them. Of course, I don't stop where i told you to, I go to bbs every day. Can't do th at with traditional methods. The Fusion razor was the reason I first switched to DE shaving. Now I find the high cost is worth every penny, vibrator and all. By the way, I also start with a dry razor and never rinse it until I am through shaving. Hard to rinse but worth it.

v
Ouchmychin (Pete)
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Well, Pete, I know you've gone to great lengths to find what works for you, and it would appear that you have found it. That's what it's all about, and I'm happy to read about your shaving success, too. I don't doubt that cartridge razors and decent brushless creams and gels provide the best results for the majority. I did fine with twin-bladed cartridge razors for a long time, and I'm sure I could now, too. For some reason I could never even finish a shave with a Mach 3, so I never tried anything else with more than two blades.

Now, I must admit that I have a hard time with the notion of No Water. I'm not saying that I don't believe you; it's just that it's a bit hard for me to wrap my mind around that one. :) The amazing thing is that you found the right combination of tools, supplies, and technique to make that all come together into your triumph over whiskers!

I shave the way I do more for the nostalgic enjoyment of it than for any other reason, but I do get the best shaves I have ever gotten, too. So, while it works for me, I know it isn't for everyone.

Thanks for keeping us abreast of your personal efforts and your shaving successes.

- Murray
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Shaving has got to the point where there is not much room for nostalgia. When something unexpected works better than anything i have ever tried, then it's my duty to spread the word. When I shave my face is a bit greasy but the products are rubbed in until they almost disappear. That seems to be the secret. The junk just collects on the razor as I shave pass after pass until I get smooth enough. Then water is used for the first time to rinse off the razor and my face. I do shower or wash with soap and water too, but always dry off completely before adding shaving products. Just seems to work. If I do keep on making passes and polishing to get every last place bbs, I can feel a bit irritated, but not bloody like before. Then the bite of my favorite alcoholic aftershave does the trick. Yesterday it was Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Pete - would it be fair to say that you soften your beard in the shower or sink using soap & water, and then towel off the water so that the oil will coat your skin (and your pre-softened beard) properly? That seems like a perfectly reasonable setup to me, and sounds like a very orthodox technique with the exception of using oil in place of lather.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Acually, most days I don't take a shower or wash first. Works just about as well. It seems that softening the beard is not as important as lubricating it and the skin underneath. That lets the blade(s) slip without digging into the skin. I think that is the esssence of it. And one greasing usually lasts for all passes and polishing. As long as you don't interject water into it by rinsing your razor or getting any part of your face wet. I even do a final polish with a new Feather blade in my Fatboy set to 5 some days without adding more cream.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Depending on circumstances, some days (few and far between, however) just call for a nice brushless or even latherless shave, out of necessity, or maybe just a spirit of adventure. My problem is that I enjoy the lathering and fragrance too much to give it up for more than one or maybe two days at a time, tops.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
tweedcab

Post by tweedcab »

DR,

You have been given some great advice so far. I too must agree that a benefit would be to eliminate the pre-shave oil. I had acne when I made the decision to convert to wet shaving many years ago. I took the advice of a friend who suggested that it might contribute to healthier skin. In fact it has, and my routine is very simple. I do not wash my face with any soap at all anymore. I haven't for several years. I just ensure it is thoroughly wet and then use a terry washcloth to gently exfoliate my forehead, nose and upper cheeks. Basically everywhere I don't shave. That removes dead skin, but does not strip away the moisture that all face washes do, including Purpose and Cetaphil, which are noted for being some of the more gentle washes out there. I then wet my beard very well and lather up. Today I face lather, but for your obviously sensitive skin, maybe a palm or bowl generated lather may be best. Shaving brushes, while a wonderful luxury, can be irritating when used to scrub too long on the face. I then make 3 passes, although you may want to stick to 1 or 2 WTG/XTG to let your skin heal adequately. This in effect serves to exfoliate and cleanse my skin very well. Don't rely on creams or soap to moisturize your face. We hear of this or that soap/cream being more moisturizing than the other one, but the reality is that they all dry the skin to a degree. I like to use a balm after I shave. The ingrown hairs can be exacerbated by skin that is too dry. I very lightly balm after I shave. I'm talking about a pea size drop for my whole face. Well hydrated skin will be healthier, and promote far less acne than will skin that is excessively dried out. Finally, a gentle razor may be beneficial. I now use a Goodfella. Many say it is so tame that it hardly cuts, but I get a nice gentle shave out of it. I don't ever go for BBS, and I never will. It just irritates my skin. However, from a practical standpoint you can't tell the difference if we are talking face to face, and I have to shave everyday for work in the corporate environment. Anyway, that's my experience. Best of luck to you, and have fun along the way :D
brothers

Post by brothers »

I usually wash my face in the morning. Certainly when I'm showering before shaving. In the past I have used a small variety of pre-shave products, but I've always known that in my case, it doesn't really matter. Once the shaving lather is in place, whether applied by brush or by hand, the whiskers are prepped well enough to be clipped off.
Last edited by brothers on Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

This thread started appearing in my email again so I reread my last entry and it is actually not correct. I normally shower every other day and wash face every day. I only meant that occasionally when pressed for time I have skipped the wash and just rubbed in the brushless or both and shaved fast--not bbs but good enough to get by.
Ouchmychin (Pete)