Cream or Soap for me?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
DesertRat

Cream or Soap for me?

Post by DesertRat »

Hi All,

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I wanted to get your opinion on my specific issues. THis might be a bit long.

I have problems with razor bumps and ingrown hairs. Usually, if I get one, they get infected pretty badly and my face looks horrible. I've found that shaving with a Sensor Excel (2 blade cartridge) and Aveeno Shave Gel worked best for me. But I still would get an ingrown or a razor bump just about each time I shaved so I'm back to wet shaving.

At first I tried the T&H Ultimate Comfort cream with my Sensor Excel to focus on the lather but my skin didn't agree with the lavender, I guess. Next I went with the Art of Shaving unscented and that worked really well for me. What didn't work well for me was the cream and the Sensor Excel. Today I went with my Merkur HD and Derby blade. Had an ok shave for my first time back in a while. We'll see if the bumps or ingrowns come back.

Anway, that's a long way of asking if maybe I should try some soaps for my problem and, if so, which ones would you recommend.

Thanks in advance!
Paul
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Paul, I don't think that razor bumps or ingrowns are going to be effected by whether one uses traditional creams or hard soaps. It's a technique and equipment issue, not a product one. If you've not tried a Schick Injector I'd suggest that you consider one. They are often the best bet for gents who are very prone to razor bumps. I'd suggest a later model; M, N, or O and make sure you get the Chinese made Schick blades for it. Take short strokes and stretch the skin lightly. Best of luck.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Paul, I agree with Gordon, technique and equipment, but since you asked for a specific soap recommendation I suggest Harris Almond.
Regards,
Squire
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks!
Paul
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

bernards66 wrote:Paul, I don't think that razor bumps or ingrowns are going to be effected by whether one uses traditional creams or hard soaps. It's a technique and equipment issue, not a product one. If you've not tried a Schick Injector I'd suggest that you consider one. They are often the best bet for gents who are very prone to razor bumps. I'd suggest a later model; M, N, or O and make sure you get the Chinese made Schick blades for it. Take short strokes and stretch the skin lightly. Best of luck.
Regards,
Gordon
I'm still very much a newbie and can't diagnose anything with a very high degree of certainty, but I am wondering if perhaps the OP should take even one step back in the process - could skin issues be arising even before you start shaving? I know I kept wondering why I was getting so many nicks and cuts, but realized it's because I have terribly sensitive skin. I ended up just not using any soap when I washed my face for quite a while - just a hot rinse - but have since moved up to baby wash. Any sort of soap beyond that just seems too harsh for me and made my skin too sensitive to shave safely. Could that have anything to do with it for you?
Regards,
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good point Mike, I am one of the fortunate ones who can use almost any stuff related to face wash or shaving but a lot of our posters have identified products that simply don't work for them.
Regards,
Squire
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks Mike.

I think my main problem has to do with overly oily skin combined with a thick, semi-curly beard. I've battled acne since I was a teenager and shaving exacerbates the problem. When I do get an ingrown or razor bump, it becomes a major problem quickly. That's really what led me to wet shaving with a DE razor which was recommended by a past dermatologist.

I do use a gentle wash (Purpose) prior to shaving and I'm trying to stick with AOS unscented cream. Even the T&H Ultimate Comfort did not react well with my skin. Must be the Lavender EO.

I think more of my problem has to do with preparing a proper lather and blade angle. I'm really trying to focus on those areas.
Paul
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I'm not familiar with Purpose. It's possible that your skin reacts badly to combining its use with normal shaving products. It would be worth your while to try removing Purpose from your routine and try a very light use of ordinary soap instead. Purpose may also be just fine - I know nothing about it.

If you feel like your face is clean when you finish washing, no matter with what product, then you have over-washed. Your face should still feel slightly oily after washing. If it feels clean, your skin will "freak" (technical term :D ) and make a lot more oil (making your acne worse).

Do you use any acne treatments? (benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, anything else)
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks!

Yes. Purpose is about the most gentle face wash there is. It's basically the same as baby wash. As you said, it leaves my face feeling "not squeaky clean" but I'll try a couple of shaves without it to see if that makes a difference.

Yep, I'm on a prescription retinoid/benzoyl peroxide medication called Epiduo and I'm using Bump Patrol which has acetylsalicylic acid in it. I use it as an aftershave before I use the AOS aftershave. Once a day for both the Epiduo and the Bump Patrol.

I think the Bump Patrol helps. The jury is still out on the Epiduo.

I had my 2nd shave with my DE today and the shave was better that the first shave and my face seems to be clearing from previous bumps. That said, I noticed that I had to rinse and relather my chin area because the lather had dried once I got there (last area to shave). Again, I need to work on the lather.

Here's my routine:

Purpose Face Wash
AOS Pre-shave oil
AOS Unscented Cream
Shavemac Brush
Merkur HD with Derby blade
Bump Patrol A/S
AOS Unscented A/S balm
Menscience Sunscreen
Paul
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Try leaving out the pre-shave and the balm. The fewer ways you interfere with your skin, the better.
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Will do.

Thanks!
Paul
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I hesitated to post this, because it's probably already been brought up with your dermatologist - but to be on the safe side, here's my other .02. Have you tried Cetaphil face wash? I used the Cetaphil lotion when I was battling severe, potentially lifetime-scarring acne. The face wash is supposed to be pretty good, too, so you might try it in place of the Purpose for a bit.

As I said, your dermatologist may have already mentioned it, but thought I would just in case :D
Regards,
Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

"Your dermatologist"? Spoken like a true American - with insurance! I speak as one without his own dermatologist, and come to that, not even his own GP for Glub's sake!

Just shave with the grain if you have bad acne. It doesn't matter whether you use soap or cream, so go with what you have or what you like the smell of - neither will affect ingrowing hairs one whit. Once you get rid of the acne (and there you might need to borrow someone's GP, or even a dermatologist if there are no normal GPs in your area) then you can experiment with creams. soaps and passes across and against the grain. Mostly you have to arrive at a time in life when the acne has decided to move on and torment someone else: if you have to actively treat it with either topical or systemic treatments you don't want to do anything that will help it rather than you!

Shaving with the grain doesn't feel as good to those who faceturbate, but it looks just the same to the rest of the world. I suggest you learn to stroke your face downwards only, in which case you will be impressed all day, every day, with your shave. :lol: It's what I do for a week every time my face looks battered from too much shaving - which happens when I'm daft enough to hone razors for other people.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks Mike and Dr. Moss!

Purpose is on par with Cetaphil and I have tried both. I'll double check the ingredients on both to double check again. It's been a while.

That's exactly what I'm doing. Shaving with the grain only and, actually, I'm only doing 1 pass to start.

Great advice guys. I'm hoping that this time around will be the charmer.

Question: I like the Derby blades. For my tough beard, any recommendations on other blades to try?
Paul
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Gordon's advice about an Injector is spot on if you want to reap the benefits of a single rigid blade that will not deform and dig in.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Also, do you think I should try shaving every day? With the Sensor Excel, my face could only tolerate shaving every other day.
Paul
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Paul -- if you truly have skin issues, shaving every day may not help -- but could create more grief.

Nevertheless -- you have had great advice from everyone so far -- you can always try it and if it doesn't work for you, you at least know what path not to go down. :wink:

I'd also advocate Gordon's suggestion vis-a-vis Shick Injectors -- definitely worth a go.

Best of luck -- nothing is more annoying than not being able to shave regularly without suffering major problems with your skin.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Get a Schick Injector and the Chinese blades and try them as I suggested above; shave only with the grain as Chris emphasized, and skip the pre-shave oil and the heavy A/S balm and see what happens. With time you could definately get to the point where you not only 'can' shave every day, but that you'll want to....you will, in fact, INSIST upon it! ( chuckle )
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

This is great advice! You should seriously consider it. Good luck!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ralph

Post by ralph »

Anyone wanna buy me a Schick Injector and some blades and post them to me in Ireland? I have tried a few DE razors inc a futur, with brushes and creams and soaps but still get razor burn and bad ingrowns all over my neck, 10 years running.

I'll paypal you the cost before someone wants to be a good Samaritan.

Anything else to throw in there i'm willing to try, although I've tried tend skin and anthonys treatment.

Cheers