DE vs Cartridge...strange question

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
rideaduc

DE vs Cartridge...strange question

Post by rideaduc »

So now I'm on week 5 of my DE experience and coming from the typcial goo and cartridge type of shaving. I love the process and am consistently getting 4 pass (n-s e-w w-e s-n) and my don't see a lot of burn.

The weird thing is that my face "feels" a ton smoother then I ever got with the cartridge. But it doesn't last as long. That is when I shaved with the cartridge you couldn't really see any stubble until late in the evening but with the DE you can tell by around 3 oclock or so.

Or is this just my imagining it now that I'm paying more attention to my face?
Whether success or failure if you live in the past you'll die in the past.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hard to say in your circumstances ride, for me a DE shave lasts as long as any other. I am concerned that you are using four passes and mentioned burn which is a technique issue irrespective of gear.

Perhaps two passes and a little more time would yield good results. Keep us posted.
Regards,
Squire
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

some de's are more aggressive than others. you may have a mild razor and thereby have a nice mild shave. others razors will get you closer but with a price. that's why i like adjustables
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

my shaves with a de last twice as long before seeing and feeling stubble than any other type of shaving

but the learning process can be a bit longer,,,,,4 passes seem a bit extreme.. two passes should get you a really nice shave and a three pass
should get the bbs most crave

in time it gets better and better.. the learning curve never totally ends either,,

as stated in a above post you may in time want to try a different razor and/or blade and that could help to improve your results

but before that, use what your using and concentrate on technique

marc
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

gil3591 wrote:some de's are more aggressive than others. you may have a mild razor and thereby have a nice mild shave. others razors will get you closer but with a price. that's why i like adjustables
That is exactly right! I'd just add that in some cases the price to pay is very minimal. Yeah, even though I don't understand it, many members really enjoy the feel of an aggressive razor.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

L. Martino wrote:
gil3591 wrote:some de's are more aggressive than others. you may have a mild razor and thereby have a nice mild shave. others razors will get you closer but with a price. that's why i like adjustables
That is exactly right! I'd just add that in some cases the price to pay is very minimal. Yeah, even though I don't understand it, many members really enjoy the feel of an aggressive razor.
i received my ej 89L yesterday and shaved with it for the second time today. some feel it is less aggressive then an HD and i agree. i used a feather to compensate for the milder razor and was rewarded with a very nice shave. usually i like an aggressive razor because a mild razor leaves a lot of whiskers behind. in the case of a mild razor a sharp blade works best for me. even with the feather my beard was in need of a shave sooner then when using my progress with an iridium. so, not only is the issue a mild razor or not, it's also the blade you use with it.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer