One last check before I place my order

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
cadfael_tex

One last check before I place my order

Post by cadfael_tex »

Ok, about decided to pull the trigger on the soap and brush.

After everybody suggested a nice inexpensive boar brush, I've decided to go for the Rooney 2/1 (thats the style 2 small one right?) in the silvertip ($65). I read all the things on boar and the descriptions of boar versus badger and I think what I'm looking for is more toward the badger. Obviously I'm making semi-educated guesses but am I on the right track?

For the soap, it may be a decision for when I hit the button. I'm torn between the TOBS soap and cream (http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/i ... 165231.htm vs http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/i ... 169891.htm)

Plan B would be the following:
vulfix super badger 660 (http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Vulf ... Small.html)
with
DR Harris Soap: http://www.leesrazors.com/products/D.R. ... -Bowl.html
and/or
DR Harris cream: http://www.leesrazors.com/products/D.R. ... Cream.html

Help me Obi Wan :) had pretty much decided on plan a until I started writing this and added plan b back in ;) Comments are certainly welcome because the only thing I'm waiting to order is me (ie my indecision).
druphus

Post by druphus »

I'd get the Rooney brush and D.R. Harris soap.
Regards,
Andy
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

To be honest, that was sort of what I was thinking. Gotta see how much of a hit I'm gonna take on shipping. As far as I could tell, classicshave didn't off D R Harris and they were the only ones I found that offered rooney.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

before you do anything check out vintage blades http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/

Jim is one decent dude and he sells dandy and rake soaps etc as well as rooney brushes

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
druphus

Post by druphus »

The biggest problem is finding the Rooney brush (they are getting increasingly hard to find, which is one reason to get one now if you want one) Vintage Blades sells both Rooney & D.R. Harris.

Or, just wait on the D.R. Harris and get enough from Classic to get the free shipping. There are many and cheaper sources for the D.R. Harris (i.e Bullgoose and West Coast Shaving) and it is even on sale periodically at places like Straight Razor Designs.
Regards,
Andy
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Honestly, Plan A and Plan B are both fine. All your choices are worthwhile, and preference is the major difference.

I would buy Harris hard soap because it's my favourite.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Plan C - Vie-Long El Toro Ganso in Two Band White Badger + D.R Harris Soap from Phil.

I have the Vie-Long 16726 which has a slightly shorter handle, but same knot - I also have the handle for the El Toro on another brush which is more comfortable to use.

Or stick with your Plan A...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

@Ravi: who's phil?
druphus

Post by druphus »

cadfael_tex wrote:@Ravi: who's phil?
Ravi might be off-line, so Phil is the proprietor of:

http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/
Regards,
Andy
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

Thanks, looking now.

EDIT: so where does this fall on the pure - super - silvertip etc curve?
druphus

Post by druphus »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:...Vie-Long El Toro Ganso in Two Band White Badger...
That is a damn nice looking brush. Simpson would call it a "super" and Rooney refers to its 2-bands as "finest".
Regards,
Andy
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

cadfael_tex wrote:Thanks, looking now.

EDIT: so where does this fall on the pure - super - silvertip etc curve?
The pure - super - silvertip curve is basically bogus. Not because a difference doesn't exist (of course there's a difference), but because nobody agrees on grading or on the terminology that gets used.

But two band hair is usually thicker gauge and stiffer than others, hopefully without being too prickly.

Phil is pretty smart about his brushes and if he had a hand in the design (and if it was in my price range of course) then I'd be willing to try it. Do go and read what Phil has to say about it on his site before you lay down any money. His description should be helpful in seeing if you might like it.
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

I don't know if it would be helpful but I thought I'd throw out a little about my beard. I have I guess average skin - never noticed it being overly sensitive. My beard is pretty thick and fast growing. I get about three days out of a Mach 3 before I notice that it isn't performing too well (though still muddle through for another day or two). I need a pretty good shave because I'm a soldier and it's part of the uniform.
druphus

Post by druphus »

Are you using a brush now? If so, what are you using?
Regards,
Andy
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

No, this is my first foray. I've been using norelco rotary for the last decade. As it noticed it wearing down (actually the second in 11 years) I started looking for a replacement and wound up here. I bought a fusion and started using it over the weekend. I was using a travel can of barbasol but tried some neutrageena (sp?) stuff the last couple of days.

This will be my first time using a brush and anything other than goo (or electric).
druphus

Post by druphus »

Well, since you are intending to use soap, I'd say you might be happier with the 2-band (finest), because the loft is shorter and the bristles should have more backbone. The Rooney you are looking at might be rather floppy with its higher loft (and a Rooney finest, which is no longer available, would cost $200!). I doesn't sound like the Vie-Long 2-band would be too prickley for you.

You will note that Phil also sells the Vulfix you were looking at. You could telephone him and see what he has to say.

For a first brush you are definitely looking at nice top tier stuff and you are going to be happy with any of the stuff you have already identified.
Regards,
Andy
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

I think being too prickly is what I'm consciously or unconsciously trying to avoid. Comes down to not knowing what these guys actually feel like and only going by reading what I want or think I want.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

You are definitely on the right track here and getting useful advice. Just to add to the clutter: when you have to shave as a condition of your job, don't throw away the last thing that worked right. In other words, when changing your shaving routine, keep a workable back-up plan. Nobody minds if I miss a day's shave as long as I don't get really scruffy, so I can be lazy about this - you, not really.
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

Roger that. Plan on keeping the electric charged and even if I do go soon to a DE will keep the cartridge. As much as I dislike the gook I got in the tube now, I'll keep it just in case two (or buy a can of foam).
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

So plan F it is 8)

Just placed my order with bullgooseshaving.

Here's what I got:
DR Harris Arlington Cream
Vie Long El Toro Ganso brush
Merkur Classic (33C i think it was)
25 Derby Blades
10 Personna Red blades

Guess the quest begins ;)