The Journey Begins: Diary of a newb

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
cadfael_tex

The Journey Begins: Diary of a newb

Post by cadfael_tex »

Found a box on my front porch this afternoon with my new shaving kit 8)

From Phil I received (in case you missed it in my other posts asking many questions):

Vie Long El Toro Ganso badger shaving brush
DR Harris Arlington cream
Merkur 33c razor (figured it would be middle of the road)
Derby Extra blades
Personna Blades (ended up blue package)

plus the bonus of (thanks phil):
Astra blades
Ogallala bay rum a/s

So here's the plan:
Use just the brush and cream until I'm comfortable with the process still using the fusion cartridge.
Then I'm thinking about starting using the Merkur with the Derby blades for the weekends when I can take more time.

I hope to include some thoughts and experiences along the way - with probaby a few questions.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Good plan... and keep the questions coming!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

You'll be surprised at how rapidly you improve with daily practice---just like your music teacher always said. :)
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

Never could afford music lessons growing up. And I don't think the things my football coach told me are quite the same ;) (or at least with the same volume)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sound choices cad.
Regards,
Squire
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

It's been hard not to break into it and give it a whirl. Gotta wait till the dear wife okays a mug for the purpose for me though.
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

I think you're right to do as you outlined. I used soap and brush with my once-beloved Bic Sensitives for about a month and then decided to buy a Feather Popular.

And I haven't looked back but once. And decided to stick with the DE experience. Technique was lacking. Sharpened my focus and I haven't bled in so long that I must be due by the weekend! :shock:
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
brothers

Post by brothers »

We're going to be interested in reading about your experiences.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
merkri

Post by merkri »

Good start.

Just be careful when you make the switch--don't get too used to the feel of the lather with the cartridge (I'd almost recommend just jumping right in, as long as you have the time).

The only reason why I say this is that I think sometimes a cartridge can require more pressure with the lather than a DE.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

cadfael_tex wrote:It's been hard not to break into it and give it a whirl. Gotta wait till the dear wife okays a mug for the purpose for me though.
You can always get a different mug from a thrift shop or dollar store. As long as it's about the right size and not cracked, you're fine. It would be sad for the kitchen to be down a mug on your account. :)
Odio Barbillas

Post by Odio Barbillas »

merkri wrote:... I think sometimes a cartridge can require more pressure with the lather than a DE.
Danger, Will Robinson! 8) The downfall of many an intrepid novice in our "madness".
Michael G.
Odio Barbillas

Post by Odio Barbillas »

cadfael_tex wrote:It's been hard not to break into it and give it a whirl. Gotta wait till the dear wife okays a mug for the purpose for me though.
Hey, it's not vital to buy a "purpose-built" mug. Not that you can't go overboard with the large selection out there; spend un beaucoup de bucks on plastic mugs or hand-made ceramic bowls/scuttles!

But if you buy glycerin-based soaps, they easily melt in a microwave oven and may be poured into any receptacle sturdy enough to use in your shave cave. When I use creams from a tube, I squirt a dollop into a small Ziploc-type bowl and whip away.

Have a blast making the choices!
Michael G.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Developing technique with a cartridge razor is a common approach, and one that has worked for many of us here at SMF. Keep the posts and updates coming.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

First go this morning with brush and the DR Harris Arlington cream. We well. I had been slight concerned about the scent - I've avoided anything with scent for a long time because of the strength of the off shelf stuff. I was pleasantly surprised.

Had two drawbacks -- all of our cups/mugs are too tall with vary narrow bottoms. Used one to soak the brush but face lathered instead. Went well!!!. Also, my sink doesn't hold water worth a rip.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Nice report -- thanks for updating us. The scents from English shaving products is far superior to other non-traditional-traditional shaving goop in cans, etc. I have an Arlington Shave Stick on the way to include in my kit bag for traveling - and am looking forward to trying it.

Is the sink big enough for you to try putting a basin in the sink to hold your hot water?

Keep at it - patience is a shaving virtue. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

As far as the mug is concerned. I use a ceramic cereal bowl with a handle that I found on the cheap at Old-Time Pottery.

Been using it for several years now and works wonderfully.

No need to drop a load for a specialized receptacle.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
druphus

Post by druphus »

cadfael_tex wrote:-- all of our cups/mugs are too tall with vary narrow bottoms.
Take a trip to the local "Tuesday Morning", "TJ Max", or whatever and buy a large Cappuccino mug. Or, as Jason says above, a cereal bowl. Whatever you prefer.
Regards,
Andy
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

The face lathering wasn't too bad this morning - really kinda liked it. What are the pros and cons of face lathering?

As far as sleep goes, I know I don't get enough but can't figure out what to lessen in my day to get more most days.
druphus

Post by druphus »

I face lather soaps, but bowl lather cream.

This is because you really want to whip the cream up into a nice mound, which is what the lathering bowl is for. Also, it is critical not to make the cream lather too wet, and you can best control this by adding fingertips full of water to the bowl.

With soaps, and my moderately hard water, it takes about a minute working on the soap to get a nice batter to take to my wet face - I re-wet and take the brush to a wet face for each pass and might squeeze the lather out of the brush and paint it on to get a nice thick cushioney lather with soap.
Regards,
Andy
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Cad, I'd recommend that you get started on using the Merkur. Time's a wastin'!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed