Ingrowns and neck trauma

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
ralph

Ingrowns and neck trauma

Post by ralph »

Hello,

I saw a few of your posts now offering good advice over the years, I'd really like to hear if you have any more for me.

I've been shaving now for 10 years and DE shaving for 4 or 5. My hair is very course and curly and grows parallel to he skin on my neck, I usually shave once or twice a week because of the trauma it causes my neck. If I shave every other day I get very bad rash on my neck and it feels like shaving velcro.

I'm very prone to getting ingrowns and a rash although i shave after shower,
I use:

a shavemac silvertip in a bowl with pamolive cream
Merkur futur with merkur or derby blades
nivea aftershave balm.

I only shave 1 pass with the grain and I think I have done all I can with improving my technique as I never get nicks or stinging.

I have tried a few old gilette DE's and sensitive bic disposibles which seem to tear and drag. I've also tried a few different creams incl taylor of old bond st and shaving sticks and Total shave solution oil,

I'm not really into collecting but am willing to try anything(considering lazer) like razors or creams.

As a mechanical engineer I really am a fan of the Merkur Futur, I have the polished one and it looks and feels great,

Two things I have yet to try are the bump fighter razor and the shick injector which I am trying to find online.

I have also tried tend skin and Anthonys ingrown treatment which didn't help.
druphus

Post by druphus »

Sounds like your technique is good, so, at this point I would try using sharper blades. First try the Super Iridiums, and if those don't work you could try Feathers.
Regards,
Andy
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

hi ralph

from your post it sounds like you are talking about me,,and in more ways then one.....

andy i am going to disagree with some things you said ,,i mean no harm period ...im only giving my feelings and thoughts ,,so please forgive me

ralph i have your beard problems..i began de shaving in the 70's and at that time my face was a ingrown farm... for real...with in a year after de shaving i rarely saw a ingrown and i found one ingrown a few months back and that was the first one in years and years and years

i and many many other members feel the futur is one of the best of the best razors..for so many reasons.. no razor is perfect but the futurs pro's far out weight its cons

i use a futur and merkur blades

even though you been shaving for a few years with de's ,,if you get trauma and redness,, i have to think there is room for technique improvement.. i have decades of experience with de razors and i still find little things with technique that helps or improves my shaves

so first things first.. i have no idea what settings you keep the futur on..i suggest you try at 2 or 2 1/2.. and try getting the razor angle more parallel to your face...and try as little pressure as can be...

i wouldnt try to get real close shaves, just a clean and comfortable one..

two passes one with and one across the grain does the job..

remember face prep with alot of hot water and maybe a bit of shampoo makes your bread softer and easy to shave

murker blades and derby blades are at two opposite ends of the spectrum
i love merkur blades and most do not.. derby are very smooth and forgiving and they are probably good for you right know..

the futur razor works well with all blades and thats good for you ..
i feel especially in your situation that shaving more regularly would be in your favor.. the hairs wont get to curl and get a chance to grown into your face with more regular shaving.

and with two light passes and better blade angle you willl shave close and smooth but not so close in increase the odds of ingrowns

in not well versed on after shaves ,, i been using pinard clubman since i cant remeber when.. good or bad i like it.. i do use skin food sometimes

i wish you the best
and look forward to hear if were able to help you

marc
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Ralph, I have been in your position, so I understand your frustration. Something that really did help in my case was moving to a sharper blade. I was always under the impression that I had very sensitive skin, and therefore, used a mild blade. This in fact was making things worse for me as the blade wasn't cutting smoothly. Swapping up to Feather blades has made a vast improvement to my shaves.

Gareth
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

If you do try sharper blades, which I would be in agreement with, then make sure to use even less pressure than you do now.

Another thought: you might shave more often, but settle for less of a shave to minimize your irritation. If you're covered with micro-stubble you still look good.
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Ralph,

Depending on where you are, Bump Patrol makes both an aftershave and a shaving gel (which works just fine whipped into a lather). I've been trying them out for the past few days and my skin has improved considerably.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

+1 on the iridium (sharp) blades or even feathers. as much as i hate to say it, i loved my futur (s) but they always left my face a little more irritated then other razors. i've now settled on a progress and an ej 89L. i would think a milder razor with a sharp blade would do the trick. i don't have your problem but i do now how these razors have affected my skin. why not try an ej de89L with a feather? it's a very nice combo
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

My combo is Feathers in a Futur (say THAT fast 5 times).

I have had better luck with the Futur than it sounds like gil3591 has. Just goes to show that different things work well for different faces.

I agree though with graduating to sharper blades and shaving more often. That being said, now is definitely a great time to polish up your technique.

Beard prep and technique make all the difference in the world.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...