Against the grain help

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I remembered today about my encounter with the blade skipping & chattering across the skin.

The lather may need fixing, true enough - but also make sure that your stroke is smooth and confident. By trying too hard to be careful, and trying too hard to not press, I used to bring this problem on myself. When I forced myself to shave more confidently, not painfully slow and not worrying so much about no pressure, the chatter disappeared.

(Just to be clear: you still don't press, you just stop worrying about it.) :wink:
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

bordeaaj wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:(Just watch out in case your hair doesn't grow the same direction as the method originator expects. For some people, some of those strokes go against the grain too soon. North, south, etc MUST be re-interpreted through the "magnetic North" [if one can call it that] of your own beard growth.)
Very true...I have several areas that definitely don't grow in the expected directions. Most of us have been trained to think grain is everything from our earliest DE shaving days and it's easy to think you may end up going ATG far too soon, maybe even on the first pass in certain areas...but not to worry! Although it's certainly a bit of a departure from the more conventional strategies for the most part it's just a relatively minor variation of what you are probably doing already. Apparently, one of the reported advantages of Method Shaving techniques is that they were developed and refined over many years specifically to get BBS shaves and minimize irritation without an ATG pass and regardless of growth patterns. And it's far less complicated than paying strict attention to the waves, whorls, and inexplicable reversals in direction of my beard growth. That used to be part of the fun early on but I seem to have settled into this routine with great success. It has worked well enough for me and those who recommended it to me to recommend it myself from time to time. Of course, pre-shave prep and ever improving technique play the major roles. Many ways to "skin a cat", your mileage may vary, not for everyone and all that but the Method Shaving patterns might be an option worth trying...especially for those who experience post-ATG irritation, razor bumps, or just have a tough time with ATG technique! :D

Here is mantics helpful video on the shaving patterns for those interested.
Don't worry about products, terminology, or the terrifying speed at which he shaves :shock::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VxFXpdL ... r_embedded
Welcome bordeaaj - you make a very good point and one that is often mis-understood about Method Shaving - it doesn't matter what the grain pattern is of your beard, theorectically if you cut the precribed forms you will have reduced your beard 98.345621% - the balance it touched up using the oil pass.

I now only occasionally use all the Method paraphanalia (it's a mess) but do use the cutting forms, slightly modified as you have described - and on most days the oil clean up pass - and get very close, comfortable and consistent shaves.

Cut through all the retoric and jargon and Charles does teach you the foundation of an excellent shave.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
bordeaaj

Post by bordeaaj »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:Welcome bordeaaj - you make a very good point and one that is often mis-understood about Method Shaving - it doesn't matter what the grain pattern is of your beard, theorectically if you cut the precribed forms you will have reduced your beard 98.345621% - the balance it touched up using the oil pass.

I now only occasionally use all the Method paraphanalia (it's a mess) but do use the cutting forms, slightly modified as you have described - and on most days the oil clean up pass - and get very close, comfortable and consistent shaves.

Cut through all the retoric and jargon and Charles does teach you the foundation of an excellent shave.
Thanks for the welcome! They are great products and it's a great way to shave...just a little more complicated than I'm up to in the mornings, I guess. Funny thing is...when I do go back to it I always enjoy it, it always works very, very well, and it never seems quite as messy or complicated as I remembered. I think the Method Shaving products might be a good choice for todays shave! :D
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

Not too hijack the thread (too much) but in watching Mantic's video - is method shaving 4 passes every time? It looks like you do 2x form 1, 1x each of forms three and four.
bordeaaj

Post by bordeaaj »

cadfael_tex wrote:Not too hijack the thread (too much) but in watching Mantic's video - is method shaving 4 passes every time? It looks like you do 2x form 1, 1x each of forms three and four.
Yeah, 4 every time if you follow the protocol exactly but I've modified my routine down to 3 passes...only one of each. On special occasions I'll throw in a fourth. I think they are to be thought of as starting guidelines as you figure out what works for you. Method Shaving emphasizes adherence to regimented specialized product usage more than strictly following the shaving patterns.
Martin

Post by Martin »

At the moment Im doing 2 WTG passes N-S, then 1 pass xtg ear to nose on my cheeks and on my neck towards my adams apple/chin. Im struggling to shave xtg on my neck without getting a nick/razor bumps or if I dont its not as close as id like.

Gordon, I suppose most of us are happy with the look & feel of our face after a shave as its us who live with it all day every day. However when getting up close & personal say with a lady friend, may say "its not that close" if one rubs their hand in an upwards direction(thats for those who dont shave atg btw)???.
bordeaaj

Post by bordeaaj »

Martin wrote:However when getting up close & personal say with a lady friend, may say "its not that close" if one rubs their hand in an upwards direction(thats for those who dont shave atg btw)???.
That would fall under one of the previously mentioned "special occasions"! :D
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I don't shave against the grain because I do not find it necessary. I have my own cutting pattern which after three passes do not leave any whiskers left to be cut.
Regards,
Squire
Martin

Post by Martin »

What is your cutting pattern then Squire?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Simple Martin yet a bit complicated. The first pass is with the growth pattern whatever direction that may take. Down on the cheek, diagonal under the ear, straight up on about 60% of the neck, down on the other 40%.

Second pass from ear to nose with subtle changes around the face to make sure I'm shaving across the grain.

Third pass from nose to ear again with subtle changes letting the grain be the guide.

It all works quicker than it sounds and I can do it with my eyes closed.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

So there. Now you have both Squire's personal cutting pattern and mine. Be grateful ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon