Razor burn without the burn?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
rideaduc

Razor burn without the burn?

Post by rideaduc »

Ok stay with me on this one......I have had for several years small read discoloration on my cheeks that the dermatologist says is nothing to worry about.

I never looked that close but now that I've been DE shaving I notice everything and it seems that this red seems more pronounced and in other areas. My first thought was that it was razor burn but it doesn't burn.

So my question is can you get red razor burn spots without feeling it?
Whether success or failure if you live in the past you'll die in the past.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I suppose if a Leper drank coffee and his finger stayed in the cup your dermatologist would say "don't worry about it."
Your cheeks have increased sensitivity for some reason; genetic or external agent(s)
If it's not mechanical abrasion from the razor, it MAY be a chemical reaction to your soap, aftershave or other product.
List your kit for us again, perhaps some feedback will help? I have a nogo list with lovely products my skin simply will not tango with.

Chris
merkri

Post by merkri »

It's happened to me. With some of the sharper razors/blades, it's possible (at least for me) to shave too close and not really notice it, because the razor is so sharp.

This gets into fuzzy territory about what "razor burn" is versus other things, because when that's happened to me, I'd be reluctant to call it razor burn, (although I'm not sure what else to call it).

I would suspect some sort of more "chemical" reaction, though--e.g., from the soap or something else--like Chris suggests.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

A good BBS shave will knock the hair follicles right down to 'sea level.'
A side benefit is the removal of dead skin cells, pizza sauce from last night and the 3 shades of lipstick- you devil you.
True razor burn is when healthy, living epidermal cells are 'skinned' and you feel and show the raw,pink look of insulted flesh; think grapefruit cut in half.
rideaduc

Post by rideaduc »

KAV wrote:A good BBS shave will knock the hair follicles right down to 'sea level.'
A side benefit is the removal of dead skin cells, pizza sauce from last night and the 3 shades of lipstick- you devil you.
True razor burn is when healthy, living epidermal cells are 'skinned' and you feel and show the raw,pink look of insulted flesh; think grapefruit cut in half.
Yea I don't think it's that but you're right could be something I'm using. But again keep in mind that I had some of this before trying these products.

Proraso SC or Trumpers Avocado
Thayers Witch Hazel
Dr. Harris Sandalwood A/S
GFT Skin food also Sandalwood.
Whether success or failure if you live in the past you'll die in the past.
King-D

Post by King-D »

A splash of alcohol-based aftershave will tell you quickly how much skin you removed during your shave.
David

Shave in the shower!
KAV

Post by KAV »

Those are all fine products.
I see only one 'suspect'
Harris A/S has recently been described anecdotaly as 'oily' and the strongest of the sandalwood scents if I am correct? I am anxious to try it but have no experience yet.
People forget: wood oils are natural insecticides produced to keep bugs off the plant. Nature has blessed us with noses to appreciate the scent, but some of our carapaces are thinner than those termites.
You could try a simple 'time delay' between products and note degree or increase of redness after each.