The Quest for the Perfect Shaving Bowl

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
cadfael_tex

The Quest for the Perfect Shaving Bowl

Post by cadfael_tex »

So have you found your perfect shaving bowl to lather yet?

Since starting my wetshave journey at the beginning of the week I have face lathered for lack of a bowl. I finally went through the cupboard with my wife to see what I could use. The only thing I had was a tuperware bowl about the same size as my tub of DR Harris cream. I really liked using the bowl lather technique; it was much better lather.

The tuperware bowl worked but did have a drawback or two. It might have been on the small side (though just slightly I suspect). The biggest problem was that it didn't hold heat. I was looking forward to some warm lather. I'm think ceramic bowl with maybe a handle. I've seen the large espresso cups mentioned on other threads.

So, if you could have the 'holy grail' of lather bowls - what would it look like? And more importantly - where can I buy it!!!?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Nice -- I am a big fan of Le Creuset products, and insisted on my wife investing in a few items a couple of years ago while we were in one of their factory outlet stores in Maine.

Another popular lathering bowl has been the Georgetown Pottery Scuttle. It's actually a very nice product to feel and touch - although I have never personally used one, I have been into their gallery and seen and held them first hand. While I have a Moss, and am a face latherer - I could see some value in the Georgetown scuttle for producing lather.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

if you want a mug to hold its heat thru out your entire shave then you need a scuttle

and i feel the dirtybird scuttle is the best for many reasons
they hold the heat for so long
and the inner bowl has swirls that help to make lather

also julie at dirtybird can make just a mug with t heinner swirls too

check them out that is you answer im sure
marc
Gene

Post by Gene »

Being a man of simple tastes and limited pocket book I went to Wally world and bought what they call a "Berry Bowl" made by Corning.

Light, simple, decent shape...I like it. It travels easily, too.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
druphus

Post by druphus »

Here is my lathering bowl:

It is just a cappuccino mug. I have two, so if this one breaks I have a spare.
Regards,
Andy
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

dirty bird gets my vote. if tony (memoryleak) would drop it on his floor he would break the floor
Last edited by gil3591 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

gil3591 wrote:dirty bird gets my vote. if tony (memoryleak3) would drop it on his floor he would break the floor
...or toe. :shock:

I have Julie's shaving mug in that same color scheme but it's not heavy enough to hold heat.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

In the cooler month's I use a Moss Scuttle and it works like a charm keeping my lather warm - I've said it before and I'll say it again - this one piece of kit will elevate your shaving experience!

In the summer months I've been using a Denby cereal bowl that I snagged from my divorce (Ha!) - it has a little pedestal which is perfect for gripping - giving an artist palette feel. I've also just recently ordered a Dirty Bird "Bill Bowl" - it seems to have a lot of the features I'm looking for:

1. Good size
2. Inward curve to deter lather over-flow
3. Textured interior
4. A comfortable gripping mechanism - thumb grip in this case

We'll see how it works out in actual practice!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

As nice as many bowls are, I think that if they are smooth inside they are going to be inferior to anything that is either ridged or has a rough surface. In a case of what the eyes don't see the heart doesn't grieve I used smooth interior type bowls for years and didn't know what I was missing in terms of magnificent lather until I switched. These days i wonder why I thought the 'old' lather was that good......must be the trumpers rose HAHAHHAH

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

I'm liking the looks of the Moss scuttles. What are the differences in the:

Moss scuttle by Sara Bonnyman
The Straight Razor Designs Scuttle
Georgetown Pottery Scuttle
Dirty Bird Pottery Scuttle (1.5)

Read a review of all of these except the Straight Razor Designs one. I was and after reading the review on the other wet shave site still am drawn most of all to the Sara Bonnyman model. My big hesitation is that I was looking to bowl lather and the Dirty Bird (the second leading candidate at this writing) is designed with that task in mind to my understanding.
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

Upon further review - has anybody used the Sara Bonnyman Texan Moss scuttle? (It warms this old Texans heart to hear the name ;) )
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Hey tex,
I own the Moss scuttle (waterfall) and I absolutely love it! Like Ravi said earlier they are the one piece of kit that will really set your shave apart. I have the small one but I do not build lather in it as you seem to be interested in. I don't believe lather building is the scuttles intended purpose but rather a place to plant your brush to keep your hard earned lather nice and warm after you have built the lather on your face. Get one, you will love it. 8)
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

cadfael_tex wrote:I'm liking the looks of the Moss scuttles. What are the differences in the:

Read a review of all of these except the Straight Razor Designs one. I was and after reading the review on the other wet shave site still am drawn most of all to the Sara Bonnyman model. My big hesitation is that I was looking to bowl lather and the Dirty Bird (the second leading candidate at this writing) is designed with that task in mind to my understanding.
i don't have a moss but i do not think it is intended for making lather. the 1.5 dirty bird is larger than the standard. believe me, the standard is plenty big :wink:
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ahem. Not to toot my own horn, but my real Wedgewood ceramic Peter Rabbit ( techically the Mrs. Rabbit ) shave bowl is reknown here. So much so that when I tragically dropped and broke it kind SMF members tracked down and bought me TWO to replace it. It was most heartwarming and I was back in business. In the interum I had made do with a regular soap/cereal bowl from the kitchen. But not everyone NEEDS a Wedgewood Mrs. Rabbit bowl; perfectly fine and decent looking bowls can be gotten at any T J Maxx, or similiar stores for a good price.
Regards,
Gordon
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

The Dirty Bird is advertised for bowl mixers. How many of you use a scuttle for face lathering vs. bowl mixing? Does anybody use a bowl for the lather and a scuttle for the brush?
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

gil3591 wrote:
cadfael_tex wrote:I'm liking the looks of the Moss scuttles. What are the differences in the:

i don't have a moss but i do not think it is intended for making lather. the 1.5 dirty bird is larger than the standard. believe me, the standard is plenty big :wink:
I've never had any issue making lather in my large Moss scuttle, although admittedly the DB appears to be larger. I believe the Texan integrates an Ayars bowl but I'm not sure how large it is comparatively...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

I really like the Moss (SB) but I think the shipping and the price difference between in an the DB may be a deal breaker on it. For me I think it would come down to twice as much if I go for the Texan.

@ Blue as a Jewel: You bowl lather in the large Moss? I have a Vie Long Toro Ganso as my only brush right now so it's not one of the largest candidates (middle of the road?).
mretzloff
Vendor

Post by mretzloff »

I have used several bowls and mugs (probably closer to twenty) and my favorite, by a long shot, has been my black Walmart bowl, which cost me 88 cents plus tax. I am sure every Walmart has there is the area where you find tableware. That bowl even forced my Dirty Bird scuttle out of my den :o
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gene wrote:Being a man of simple tastes and limited pocket book I went to Wally world and bought what they call a "Berry Bowl" made by Corning.

Light, simple, decent shape...I like it. It travels easily, too.
The Walmart Berry Bowl is ideal. My son is the one who discovered it. I use it exclusively for lathering. I also have a small vintage scuttle that works perfectly for providing a warm parking space for a lather-loaded brush, and it also has an opening for a quick dip of the bristles in case I need to add some warm water to the lather.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444