Question about agressive shaving.

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
DesertRat

Question about agressive shaving.

Post by DesertRat »

This morning I had a nice shave with a Merkur HD and a Iridium blade.

I really only had to perform 1 pass to get a close shave. Not BBS but close enough so that when I rub my hand with the grain, I don't really feel the stubble.

My question is if I'm getting this close of a shave on the 1st pass, am I being too agressive with the angle or pressure of the razor? That might seem silly but, I was focusing a lot on both, and only really had to perform 1 pass except on my chin.

Thoughts?
Paul
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I do this most days to be honest. It is sufficient enough until later in the day. If there is something pending at night, my skin can still tolerate another shave. I will only get true BBS, irritation free shave if I have 2-3 days growth. It’s like a golf swing, finesse it and you’ll get result. Try and kill the ball and you’re in for a rough day!
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

paul ,,only you can be the judge of this..

personally, i would rather do 2 passses but lighter passes..
the hd is on the aggressive side and i hear those blades are good too..

but if a one pass shave is working and your results are to your liking and you have no ill affects ...dont fix something thats not broke..

marc
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks guys!

I'm starting wet shaving all over again after a hiatus due to skin problems. Acne, yuck.

I just want to make sure that I start out on the right track. I may be over analyzing everthing I do at this point. :)
Paul
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

The HD and Iridium is my combination. I can be presentable in one pass. The caveat is you will become aware of a superb shave vs 'good enough for government work' and start making multiple passes once the 'spot around the tree the kid mises mowing my lawn' catches your attention.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

As always in shaving, let good results be your guide. If you end up with irritation from this after a few days, well, lesson learned. If it works great, then you're fine.
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks! I appreciate everyone's advice.
Paul
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I agree, the goal is a good shave that is irritation free.
Regards,
Squire
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I can't agree more. For me it sound foolish when guys try overly sharp blades if they are not suited for their thin skin. Maybe using too much pressure or other like poor lather.
Myself I skip wth pass mostly and go XTG on my first pass. And ATG mostly on second and last pass.

For those that try to use just one pass wtg, I feel you are missing something with your shaves. Sorry if this sounds harsh

Jarmo
Jarmo
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

JarmoP wrote:
I can't agree more. For me it sound foolish when guys try overly sharp blades if they are not suited for their thin skin. Maybe using too much pressure or other like poor lather.
Myself I skip wth pass mostly and go XTG on my first pass. And ATG mostly on second and last pass.

For those that try to use just one pass wtg, I feel you are missing something with your shaves. Sorry if this sounds harsh

Jarmo
Doesn't sound harsh at all (I have thick skin, both figuratively and literally) but I think you missed my point a little.

I wasn't necessarily trying for one pass, it's just that I only felt that I needed one pass to get close enough. I just started wet shaving again and I am working on lather and my razor technique before I go for additional passes. My worry was that I was being too agressive with my angle or applying too much pressure with the razor when I got the close enough shave.

I have felt no irritation or razor burn thus far with the Iridium's so I'm going to try for 2 passes starting next week.

Thanks!
Paul
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

If you want to do a serious single WTG pass, try it with a Feather Mower... errr... Cobra
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Paul, I think I've read here that a number of guys routinely use a one pass shave, and be done with it. I have an idea that was the normal practice way back when the SR was all there was, and most guys considered themselves well-groomed with a weekly shave.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

brothers wrote:Paul, I think I've read here that a number of guys routinely use a one pass shave, and be done with it. I have an idea that was the normal practice way back when the SR was all there was, and most guys considered themselves well-groomed with a weekly shave.
But wasn't this also the case with the advent of the the DE? A single pass shave in the morning, a triple martini lunch and a single pass shave in the evening prior to dinner out?
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.