Training your non-dominant hand

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
cjc15153

Training your non-dominant hand

Post by cjc15153 »

I am interested in using my left hand to shave. Partially as a right-brain exercise, partially to make me more aware of technique and partially because someone's med-school professor recommended everyone do it, and I try to do what doctors tell me.

I tried a couple days ago and now I've got a couple ingrowns on my neck. Someone else must have tried this. Should I stick to the easy parts of the face, or alternate hands on passes when I'm feeling sinister?

This was sort touched on a couple years ago, but I thought it better to create a new thread, rather than revive the old one.
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

You can do whatever you want and works for you. There is no "should" available to guide you.

To really get the point of the right-brain/technique awareness thing, I suggest shaving wrong-hand-only for a week and reporting back (assuming you're still in one piece). :D

Lots of guys shave good-hand-only, so certainly it can be done the other way too.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

yes ,,,,many straight razor shavers use both hands...

if they can shave straight with both hands...could be easy with a de..

before i had my stroke i could shave either hand...i could do many things
even eat and write with either hand..

now i just trust my left one...
brothers

Post by brothers »

The left hand didn't cause the ingrowns. I think you should be adventurous, use either or both hands on all, some, or none of the passes. we really should give our brains more exercise. It can't hurt anything.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i don't wish to improve my brain. ignorance is bliss! \:D/
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

It's weird, I can shave with either hand using a straight, but have difficulty doing the same with a DE... maybe its not weird come to think of it... I play the drums, but can't dance...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
drumana

Post by drumana »

When I was using my straight razor more, I trained myself to use both hands. Around that time I also trained myself to use my DE with both hands. It was somehow easier with my straight razor, probably because that was also new information for my dominant hand as well - how to hold the razor, shave with it, not slice my face off, etc...

I've since then gone back to using my dominant hand only with my DE... for no real reason actually. I just prefer it. Sometimes I brush my teeth with my non dominant hand, which is just as much of a brain exercise without the risk of getting a sub par shave.
-Andrew-
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I'm sort of limited in my shaving. I use only my right hand and only the darts strokes. I never even learned the Mantic spoon hold and I think I'm doing just fine.

Jarmo
Jarmo
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I trained myself to shave left handed but never got really good results.
Regards,
Squire
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:It's weird, I can shave with either hand using a straight, but have difficulty doing the same with a DE... maybe its not weird come to think of it... I play the drums, but can't dance...
I played drums right- and left-handed! :P I had plenty of practice as my best friend back then was a lefty.

And I do switch hands with a DE. It feels kind of natural.
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Odio Barbillas wrote:
Blue As A Jewel wrote:It's weird, I can shave with either hand using a straight, but have difficulty doing the same with a DE... maybe its not weird come to think of it... I play the drums, but can't dance...
I played drums right- and left-handed! :P I had plenty of practice as my best friend back then was a lefty.

And I do switch hands with a DE. It feels kind of natural.
Cool! I can switch out my lead hand no problem, but it's just the DE feels odd (and dancing)... maybe I'll give it a whirl without the blade!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

I've found over the years that you can get used to anything. Even switching hands. Patience.

Note: I would not use a straight even if I was an ambidextrous octopus! :shock:
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS