Tough shave this morning

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

gil3591 wrote:i'm getting standout performance from two products at this time. tabac for a great lather and proraso for a great result. proraso is just a great performing product. it's a creaper. you don't realize how nice it works till after the shave. i've learned that i start the lather and then let it rest in the bowl while i shower. the resting time seems important for proraso. otherwise i've found that the first pass is thin lather and the final passes are richer. just in case you may want to try something else for lather making. and tabac, well, that is a slick lather king.
Thanks Gil. You would think that I would be an expert DE shaver by now considering that I joined in 2005! :)

Most of my experience was with creams but I'm turning into a soap guy now but need to work on the lather part. Proraso was actually my first cream and it was great except, again, I don't think I had the lather quite right. It was hit or miss. Your suggestion makes me want to try it again.

Coincidentally, I just received a jar of Tabac!

Appreciate the advice!
Paul
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Nailed it!

Just thought I would report back and let you know that I was able to obtain great lather from the IK this morning. My problem was definitely that my shave mug was not wide enough for me to adequately swirl the puck.

Here's what I did:
1. Soak brush under sink then let water run out. Gently shook the brush 3 times.
2. Held the IK puck in my hand and swirled the brush over the puck gently for 1 minute.
3. Put the puck down and hand lathered, adding water as I went.

Nice, dense lather and a lot of it!

Thanks for all the advice guys!
Paul
brothers

Post by brothers »

That's great news, Paul. I'm glad to hear it's working well for you.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Paul, glad to hear you got it!

IK is a good soap. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

- Murray