Need some advice...

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
myersn024

Need some advice...

Post by myersn024 »

So, I've been DE shaving for almost a year and a half and I finally decided that it was time to get a good razor. I really liked the Merkur Progress razors, so I picked up the long handle, adjustable version earlier this week. This thing is AGGRESSIVE compared to the old adjustable Gillette that I've been using. I've only used it twice and I've gotten razor burn for the first time since I started DE shaving. I've been using Feather blades in my Gillette, but I've been using Merkur blades with the new razor thus far. I've heard that the Merkur blades can be a bit iffy, so I'm wanting to try something else to see if that helps the razor burn problem, but I'm afraid to try the Feathers since they're so darned sharp.

What do you guys recommend? I really like the Progress, but it could be just too aggressive for me even on the lowest setting.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

You HAD a good razor and now you have TWO. A. buy a sampler pack B. If you've used feathers before they deserve as much a chance as any blade c. Iridiums
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Meyer, I believe the Gillette adjustable is a good razor, one of the best, I used one this morning.

I used a Progress exclusively for six months and never got along with it. I used Feather blades, shaves were fine, but the razor feel was just not right. On the other hand I could use a Futur exclusively.

After 40+ years of doing this I believe I can get a good shave from any quality DE razor with a decent blade but that only means I'm stubborn. For me choosing a keeper razor is like picking up a new fly rod, it either has the right hand feel or it doesn't.
Regards,
Squire
myersn024

Post by myersn024 »

KAV wrote:You HAD a good razor and now you have TWO. A. buy a sampler pack B. If you've used feathers before they deserve as much a chance as any blade c. Iridiums
I love the Gilette, and until my neck is back to normal I'll be using it. I'm not giving up on the Progress just yet but it sure is a different kind of shave.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It is is different and many are pleased with it. Just not my cup of tea.
Regards,
Squire
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Agree with the others on the razors. However, I would suggest that perhaps, the change in blade is the culprit.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
merkri

Post by merkri »

If you like the Gillette adjustable, there's no shame in that--they're fantastic razors. I'm not sure what would be an "upgrade," to be honest (except maybe a Feather SS or Pils or something like that).

Trying a new razor because you want a new razor is another issue.

I would recommend experimenting with blades. I know the Merkur blades aren't the best for everyone.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

my vote is thte blades are the culprit.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
jbc

Post by jbc »

I am a big believer in the Gillette Super Speeds my go to razor of choice is a 600 year old (I am taking the word of the man who sold me the straight, let me tell you it looks its age) straight, but if I want to use something a tad more modern I turn to a seventy year old Gillette super speed. My vote goes to the super speeds.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

The Merkur Progress is a fine razor but it is well reported that it does have a slightly different shaving angle and a few quirks. Here is a couple of links that may help you -

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=man ... VClPqPMro4

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=man ... FZvMmuX_GE
Good shaving,

Gary
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Merkur razors and Merkur Blades are aggressive...

If you have the proper technique down, no razor/blade combination will give you problems, although some will shave better than others...

I'm looking to purchase a Progress Long Handle Razor (no pressure) and if you really are dissatisfied with with the Long Handle Progress and you want to sell it, Make me an offer I can't refuse. I've been seeking a reasonably priced one for some time now.

My avatar indicates I have a preference for MERKURS...

I really enjoy the way they shave, so think about it...

Anyone on the forum will tell you I'm an avid Merkur fan and an honest person...

Ask and they will tell..

Enjoy your shave... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
myersn024

Post by myersn024 »

I used the Progress again on Friday morning and I ditched the Merkur blade in favor of a Feather. What a great shave! With my Gillette, I can use sloppy technique and get away with it, but this razor will be a different story until I get used to it. I took extra care to make sure to go slow and use proper technique. That coupled with the Feather blade, and now I'm pretty sure that this razor is a keeper. That being said, if anyone wants 9 unused Merkur blades, let me know and I'll send them to you for free.
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I think that the blade could be the culprit also. I am not a big fan of any type of TTO razor although I do have a few in my DE rotation including a Gillette adjustable. Prefer the older 3 piece with open comb. Just my personal preference. But as Squire said you really can't go wrong with one.

But the blade to me is the key. I tried a few Feathers when I first got back into traditional wetshaving and experienced a nightmare with them. Most likely it was my technique as much as the blade causing my problems. So I got a sampler pack. Well kind of a sampler pack. I happened upon Squire's blade review and went by how he had them rated and orders a pack of several blades he recommended.

Finally settled on the yellow Gillette 7 O'Clocks, Iridium Super and Polsilver blades. Also found that Derbys worked okay too. I suggest that if you go for any sampler pack that you look at those from Bullgoose shaving (http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/) and go with one of the packs that include at least the yellows and the iridiums.

You might also look at the sample packs from Connaught Shaving from England. (http://connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html) Same thing goes here get one with the yellows and the iridium.

Good luck on your search for a blade or two.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

Try what I did the other day. Run the fresh Merkur blade through a piece of cork or, as I did, through a foam packing peanut. Smoooth! Worth a try, anyway.

And 'speriment! :D There are blades readily available from Europe, Africa, the Americas, and Asia. I don't know if any are made in Oz; if so, I haven't seen them advertised. But someone's got something you like, believe it!
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS