Second Soap or Cream for NooB

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
cadfael_tex

Second Soap or Cream for NooB

Post by cadfael_tex »

If you've read my previous post you know that I just started wet-shaving and using DE about three weeks ago. My initial kit started with a merkur classic, a vie long brush (toro ganso), and DR Harris Arlington Cream. I'm enjoying all of it but thinking about moving on to another cream (or soap) for varieties sake.

So what would you recommend for a new experience for soap or cream? I've seen Tabac often recommended but afraid of what I read about the intensity of scent. Kinda the opposite with Cella (too subdued a scent?). Looking at a soap (or maybe a cream) from one of the 3 T's.
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Try the T&H Luxury soap. It has a very mild scent and is one of the easiest soaps to lather. It's one of my favourites to say the least. I also love Tabac and personally don't think the scent is strong although I don't feel the need to wear cologne when using it as a soap.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Get whatever you think you'll like and turning over in your mind and try it, if don't like it can always sell it here at a loss. I've given up trying to buy based on descriptions/reviews/feedback, etc, if there's something I want to try I realize only way to try it is to buy it. I've sold lots of stuff here, also bought/traded lots of stuff. Welcome to the disease! :)

All that being said I'd suggest since you have a nice cream, go for a soap. And since you have a cologne scented cream, maybe go for a more traditional scent. Maybe a Rose, Lavender, Limes, Sandalwood, or Almond soap from any of the 3 T's (Taylor, Trumper's, T&H). GFT Rose soap is only traditional one I have, and it's a keeper, so only one I can recommend.

Edit: in case not familiar with the acronyms, GFT Rose = G.F.Trumpers Rose
Also, T&H = Truefitt and Hill and Taylors is often abbrev TOBS here (Taylor's of Old Bond Street).
Just in case not familiar with the different ways the '3 T's' are referred to.
Good luck on your quest!
Last edited by i_shaved_something on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rob
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tex, I agree with Rob in that since you have a really top shelf cream a soap might be interesting to try ( keeping in mind that they can take a little longer to get the hang of lathering optimally ). The T&H soap that Bill mentioned is very good, but the scent is very mild. Perhaps something highly classic; Trumpers Rose, or D R Harris's or Taylors Lavender, or perhaps Trumpers Sandalwood? Enjoy!
Regards,
Gordon
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

if you like lavender try castle forbes. it may be the best lavender made. you can get it in a small travel size also. if you go soaps, try a tallow soap.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

Placed my order yesterday. Got a bowl of Trumpers Rose soap and also got a shave stick of Tabac and a small tube of Trumpers Violet cream. (along with Iridium and Feather blades for future testing)
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

cadfael_tex wrote:Placed my order yesterday. Got a bowl of Trumpers Rose soap and also got a shave stick of Tabac and a small tube of Trumpers Violet cream. (along with Iridium and Feather blades for future testing)
So, 2nd, 3rd and 4th? Well done!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

cadfael_tex wrote:Placed my order yesterday. Got a bowl of Trumpers Rose soap and also got a shave stick of Tabac and a small tube of Trumpers Violet cream. (along with Iridium and Feather blades for future testing)
You obviously have great taste. :wink:
jbc

Post by jbc »

My recommendation is for Williams, I know its cheap and common but in my opinion it pays to know what cheap and common is like.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

This is a "Preferential" item that will require experimentation. What works for me, may not work for you. See if you can obtain some samples from various vendors and give them a try before purchasing a large quantity of items.

As I've indicated before we are a Bunch of Preferential Wet Shaving Enthusiasts, Preferential being the key word. We like what we like and what we like may not work for you.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

try shave sticks
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Well done. I use the Trumper's Rose and the Tabac soap. Love both of them and know that you can't go wrong when using either.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

jbc wrote:My recommendation is for Williams, I know its cheap and common but in my opinion it pays to know what cheap and common is like.
Well said! I found Williams to be just fine, TYVM. A boar brush yields better results with it, IMO, but the point is, "inexpensive" doesn't necessarily mean "low-quality".

Think of the higher-priced "premium" blades out there that are less-preferred by many of us in favor of Lord or Vidyut products. :shock: Different strokes, no?
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS