Lathering my fingers more than my face

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
roboboticus

Lathering my fingers more than my face

Post by roboboticus »

I've been doing a lot of face lathering lately, and I keep running into one problem with a couple of my brushes. I get a lot of lather forming and oozing around the knot, but very little at the tips. And the tips is where I want it. I end up with a fistful of lather that I'm trying to smear onto my face.
Is there some way to correct this?
Ivan
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

sounds like you have a brush with a dense knot
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
roboboticus

Post by roboboticus »

You are correct. I have this problem with a couple of my denser badger brushes. In contrast, my boar brush lathers at the tips beautifully.

Any ideas?
Ivan
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I don't wet the entire height of my brush, only 3/4 of the way; I load my brush generously but at the tips only; and when I lather that up, it only goes halfway up the brush. Works great for me.
merkri

Post by merkri »

Embrace your inner brushlessness.
merkri

Post by merkri »

In all seriousness, I don't know that I've had this problem. I agree the degree of wetting is critical. I think also when face lathering I tend to be a little more "touch and go" with the brush, for lack of a better term--i.e., I lift the brush from the lather more, to pull the lather from the brush, and avoid too much contact with the higher points of the knot. When I'm bowl lathering, I think I tend to be more aggressive and "smooshy" with the brush, as the lather has to be transported anyway.

I'm not sure if that's making any sense. I'm having a difficult time explaining what I'm thinking.
giammi

Post by giammi »

If the knob of the brush is not too big for your hands, then also hold with your fingers the lower part of the knot.
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm trying to visualize what's happening to you, and if I understand, my suggestiion would be to try a bit more of the "painting" of the brush, an exaggerated motion, back and forth again and again, as if you're painting the lather on. That does work for me when I'm wanting the brush to make more lather as I'm face-lathering.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Do you squeeze the bottom of the knot between your fore-finger and thumb to move the lather upwards between passes? That has always worked for me when nothing else has. Also - holding the brush in a cupped hand with your fingers gently squeezing the knot all the time should help prevent lather creep.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

jww wrote:Do you squeeze the bottom of the knot between your fore-finger and thumb to move the lather upwards between passes? That has always worked for me when nothing else has. Also - holding the brush in a cupped hand with your fingers gently squeezing the knot all the time should help prevent lather creep.
of course, if you use a semogue boar you won't have this problem :wink:
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
roboboticus

Post by roboboticus »

Indeed, my Semogue 830 does not have this problem. Love that brush.
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll try and see what works.
Ivan
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

I always thought knob is the one to blame :)