First shave results

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
wannabelean

First shave results

Post by wannabelean »

Hello guys

I did my first with my new tools today and I think I did fairly well. I used the following :

1. Merkur Classic HD
2. Musgo Real
3. Figaro
4. Omega 643167

I did the following :

1. Cleaned and wet my face for 30 secs with lukewarm-warm water.
2. Built a lather in the bowl with the brush and cream
3. Loaded a 7 o clock blade with the classic HD.
4. Shaved with the grain, Across the grain (both sides) and against the grain.4 passes.
5. No aftershave as I forgot to buy one.

What I felt and results

1. Felt more powerful / superman feeling..lol
2. Sounds contradictory but didn't feel a world of difference moving from cartridge to DE. Probably because I was shaving against the grain with my Mach 3 earlier. Not at all parts but only near my neck.
3. Razor burn near the mush. Never shaved against the grain near my mush all my life so I guess that explains that.
4. Feels it takes longer to do DE shaving because of the small strokes.

Answers I'd like to know :

1. Do you use both sides of the blade in the shave? The general consensus is 6 shaves per blade. Does that mean 6 shaves with one side of the blade?
2. What is the right procedure is cleaning the razor and blade after the shave?

Thanks all!

Feels good right now. I guess I'll enjoy shaving as time progresses!
merkri

Post by merkri »

1. Do you use both sides of the blade in the shave? The general consensus is 6 shaves per blade. Does that mean 6 shaves with one side of the blade?
2. What is the right procedure is cleaning the razor and blade after the shave?
I usually use both sides of the blade in the same shave, but I'm not sure it matters. I get way more than six shaves per blade (I honestly think the shave gets better after the third shave with the blade), but that's completely a personal preference thing. I typically use my blade for more like 15-20 shaves per blade probably.

I usually take the blade out of the razor and put it in a razor case (it's an antique razor blade case I found, but I used to use a floss container--you could probably use a mint or fuse tin too). I usually pat mine dry, but not always, and people will give you different advice about that. I usually let the razor air dry with the razor a little open (either TTO open or the three-piece razors loosely screwed together). I used to leave the blade in the razor, but found that it would leave rust deposits on the razor, so I stopped doing that.

Everyone has their pet routines.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

About how to use the two edges of the razor:

- Rinse the razor.

- Shave a few strokes with edge 1 until it's becoming clogged with soap and hair.

- Switch to edge 2 and do the same.

- Rinse again.

(If you prefer to do just one stroke per edge before rinsing, that's fine, but normally you can do more than one - you will see and feel when it's enough.)
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

welcome to smf..if i havent already welcomed you before..
sounds like your doing fine with your first shaves..

Felt more powerful / superman feeling..lol
that is the best result any one has ever put to words...i remember that feeling too..

[/b]notthesharpest has it right..shave until the blade has to much lather or getting clogged.. switch to the other side..till its time to rinse the razor ...

in not to much time your muscle memory will take over..and your shave will get a little quicker..but its no race for sure...take your time...

razor burn and irration comes because of a few reasons.. main one is useing to much pressure with the razor.. least amount off pressure

whem you get a aftershave.. if it has some alcohol content..the sting or tingle with let you know if you shaved to close haha

have fun and enjoy,,,it keeps getting better

marc
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome! I use both sides, then rinse. That way you rinse less.
Regards,
Andy
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Not all blades are created the same and niether are faces. Most will give a mean average of 5 shaves. Some, like feathers only a few and if the first date goes south others only one. When you find a blade that works the next step is to monitor how many acceptable shaves;and you determine acceptable you get before replacing on a counted rotation.